Ironman 2018 - PE

clivem

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggest looking for a structured plan. It will help you avoid over-training. Shaper posted this link, which has some great plans: https://www.trainingpeaks.com/the-sufferfest.HTML

Training Peaks is also an awesome tool to watch your progress, and make sure you hit the correct fitness levels before IM. I have also heard that the Be Iron Fit training plans have worked for many athletes. You can probably buy the book online, which contains a bunch of training plans in it. '

And, it sounds like you are almost ready for a 70.3 as is. Look at doing Durban Ultra in March, or Durban 70.3 in June. It would be good practice. 

Thanks for the help - My suspicion is that we will join either MTD or Wingman for the 6 month structured plan. 

For now I am trying to work on my own plan which is Swim (Mon, Wed and Fri), Bike (Tue and Thurs and long Saturday and Run on some of the swim/bike days (alternate long bike with long run).

But thanks again.

When is the awards ceremony held? is it while those whom are hoping to finish are still out on course or is it the monday morning?

I wouldn't dare for now.

Ironman is not a race (well for me anyway and most participants) its a pace yourself event....each discipline is not hectically difficult and the time allowed is fairly generous...also don't underestimate the ability of the human body to go way beyond what you think it can....

its just a long long day and in my case the most difficult thing is not the physical aspect of it but the time it takes...I mean after 4 hours on the bike you get bloody bored with it all... same as the run, being blessed with the inability to run means after 4 hours I am just starting my last lap kind of thing... it just wears one down. HOWEVER, the PE crowds are brilliant ...my first IM would not have been possible but for the crowds...

if you are running and swimming an cycling regularly there is no reason why its not possible to do, its the mind you have to convince, not the body.

When is the awards ceremony held? is it while those whom are hoping to finish are still out on course or is it the monday morning?

Monday night ...and if you are in town, attend it...that's an order

IF you dont mind me asking another question, I would like to enter Xterra (contemplating full), but am not sure on the swim side which I feel a little uncomfortable with seeing it is a non-wetsuit event.

Any tips or tricks you think I should consider for the swim?

IF you dont mind me asking another question, I would like to enter Xterra (contemplating full), but am not sure on the swim side which I feel a little uncomfortable with seeing it is a non-wetsuit event.

just take it easy and maintain your HR zones..its all to easy to get caught up in the moment and over do it...

The swim in all these events , really is the easiest of the 3 disciplines, just relax and go with it.

Don't become too attached to your wetsuit. If you do the training, you will be awesome. You are going for stroke correction, so you are not even going to need a wetsuit (except to keep you warm). Your plan to swim three times a week is great, and will make sure you are well prepared. You will learn how to pace yourself in your swims. Just don't always swim at the same pace (such as long and slow, which I am sure you won't). Mix in drills, threshold work and easy swims. 

Not sure where you are based, but you should do a few open water swims with a wetsuit and without. In Gauteng we swim at Cradle Moon and Emmarentia. Welcome to join us if you live in Gauteng. Just shout. 

Edited by EmJayZA

The swim is only the easiest part if you do the work. 

X-terra is a mass start and IM is a self seeded swim, so you don't deal with the legs/arms/feet as much.

It's not a bad way to get used to the flurry of the swim.

Being a sub hour swimmer at IM I generally avoid the rush, but X-terra still scares me. The first boye is a frenzy!

Its only 1.5km, so find a nice line and just slip your way to the finish. Doing multi sport races in a controlled environment is really nice training.

Don't become too attached to your wetsuit. If you do the training, you will be awesome. You are going for stroke correction, so you are not even going to need a wetsuit (except to keep you warm). Your plan to swim three times a week is great, and will make sure you are well prepared. You will learn how to pace yourself in your swims. Just don't always swim at the same pace (such as long and slow, which I am sure you won't). Mix in drills, threshold work and easy swims. 

Not sure where you are based, but you should do a few open water swims with a wetsuit and without. In Gauteng we swim at Cradle Moon and Emmarentia. Welcome to join us if you live in Gauteng. Just shout. 

Thanks for the offer, but unfortunately in Cape Town. I have been added to a Whatsapp group that does regular open water swims in some of the dams close to where I stay.

Drills are definitely included.

Being a sub hour swimmer at IM I generally avoid the rush, but X-terra still scares me. The first boye is a frenzy!

Joh. Share some swim stroke and training tips.  :eek:

Thanks for the offer, but unfortunately in Cape Town. I have been added to a Whatsapp group that does regular open water swims in some of the dams close to where I stay.

We also do quite fun swim/run drills around Kalk Bay... Run from Danger beach to the harbour, jump off the pier and swim back to Dangers over and over again.

It's fun.

Try joining the life saving clubs or the 1soms guys as well to get some safe/controlled sea swimming in. The ability to read the swell and feel the way things are moving will help with your breathing on race day and stop you from panicking or swallowing water.

Really sounds like you are on a great path already! If you smash out all the training over the next 18 months, you should have a cracker race next year. It's my first full IM too. 

Joh. Share some swim stroke and training tips.  :eek:

hahaha... I have swum my whole life. Luckily I was doing swim correction at 5 years old and swam my first sea mile at Fish Hoek at 7 years old. I never really learned bad habits.

Clicked off some big swims, Kommetjie to Hout Bay, lots of Robben Island variations, some proper cold swims as well in like 2 degree water. Technique is probably 75% of open water swimming. I can also seriously recommend looking at the total immersion technique and trying to adapt your stroke to something similar. It's hard work but it make you SUPER efficient in the water, especially in the chop