Ironman 2018 - PE

clivem

what a awesome event ,my race report .

Always nice to arrive a few days before to take in the hole experience ,expo was decent 

and registration no issues at all very organized and hassle free.

Went for a swim Friday morning to calm the nerves and get a feel for the sea

packed transition bags check and double check and then check again bit of ocd.

Bike check in Saturday afternoon and getting familiar with transition area iron man staff and volunteers were well organized as always

Race day morning i was happy i got some decent sleep in the Knight before and was ready for a long day to come ,one always work out what times you would like to get in the three disciplines but never know what the PE weather can throw at you on the day,standing in the swim shoot your hart rate starts to increase as the cannon goes of and in the back ground the cheers and the beat of imagine dragons whatever it takes playing ,goosebumps 

swim was awesome swam over a phew people as usual self seeding start bit of a disaster but was happy with my time 1:21

Bike leg was tough as always dodged a phew people in the firs 10 km and bottles falling    out of bottle cages, first 90 km was good and turned at transition in 2:45 ,stopped at special needs to stock up on my nutrition and see some familiar faces and gave my wife lekker sweaty kiss i decided to push hard the next 45km to the turn around because i knew what was waiting for me on the way back last 20 km felt like for ever kept checking my watch to see if sub 6;00 was possible,the wind was pushing hard but i was almost there    

drafting became a obvious sight with the wind picking up and i had a few people tuck in behind me ,asked a guy i could see behind me to please back of or come past three times but when i look around there he was sucking wheel ,needles to say a few km after i heard the reveries whistle and a yellow card for his effort 

Came into transition and finished the bike leg in 5:56 was so chuffed wit a sub 6

Run o the run i am not a good runner but just stuck it out, firs 14 km went quickly and the support of the crowds and my wife and friends cheering me on helped so much got a bit dizzy and just took in more coke and it seemed to sort it out the long slog towards the harbor was a lonely place and all that motivates you is the next hear band that tells you its almost over double edged sword as you now also start thinking of all the hours of training and sacrifice is also now over ,was looking at my watch in total time and thinking if only i can puch harder i might brake 13;00 but the tank was empty and you see the minutes past by and realize it is what it is running down the red carpet is a unbelievable feeling and i wont change it for anything run 5:38

Total time 13:13:29   1H18 min faster than 2017 i was stocked tears in my eyes 

There is so many people to thank they know how they are .

The human body is an incredible machine till 2019 

Where the mind goes the body will follow 

Edited by Morne Heystek

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got my priority entrance to Ironman 2019, gone up again to nearly 6400, if you add the easy reg fee it’s now more n 6500.

Another 10 percent plus increase.

I'll never forget the supporter on the run, on the right as you go toward the Radison, who had a board saying "If Trump can run, then so can you".  Quite inspirational as many people walked on that long drag.

My race report : A good day out as I achieved my race objective which was simply to "run" the marathon, which I did in 4h20!  No walking for me luckily.

There was a supporter with a Wenger out sign which being a football fan made me LoL hard.

And today, well it would appear the fan got his wish.

Just got my priority entrance to Ironman 2019, gone up again to nearly 6400, if you add the easy reg fee it’s now more n 6500.

Another 10 percent plus increase.

Just got my temptation email as well. Easily resisting the temptation for 2019. I think...

Wonder why Easyreg website is open in my browser?

Better switch off before it is too late

Just got my temptation email as well. Easily resisting the temptation for 2019. I think...

Wonder why Easyreg website is open in my browser?

Better switch off before it is too late

Must resist, damn man my legs are still sore and these bastards tempt me so....must resist.

Must resist, damn man my legs are still sore and these bastards tempt me so....must resist.

DO IT!!! your bike is waiting for you in PE, or have they found it now?

DO IT!!! your bike is waiting for you in PE, or have they found it now?

Haha, still in transit somewhere. KLM seem to have found it though and I guess that’s a bonus. No definite delivery date as yet though. We wait n see. Never ever klm ever again,

Ai the temptation for 2019 is big. After 2017 IM I sold my road bike, wanting to focus a bit more on my mtbiking..... guess I'm getting a road bike again.... :P

To the guys that raced it last year - did you feel the support was noticeably less than last year?  Possibly due to it being my first and going a lot slower maybe I was able to take it in a bit more last year.  But have to say the volunteers were absolutely brilliant!  The dude at special needs shouting to us all "You aren't tired, you are Ironmen" was a legend!!!

Yup, I am from PE and the support was ( to quite a few of us who support every year ) noticeably less.  Could it be that it is now screened live on TV ?  

Yup, I am from PE and the support was ( to quite a few of us who support every year ) noticeably less.  Could it be that it is now screened live on TV ?  

I hope not! The support is what makes it such a spectacular event!  Every one of the Pro's that they interviewed all raved about the support and saying that there are no other races that come close, so it would be so sad if it lost that part of its appeal.  

I am hoping the locals were saving themselves for the World champs! I am going to have to learn to run fast and sell my left nut to try get a slot in Durban 70.3 for it!  I really think it is gong to be a phenomenal event!

Challenge Roth??? :ph34r:

Maybe  :whistling:  but considering 70.3's overseas, much easier to do and have a holiday thrown in without killing yourself on a full and recovering a few days after ;)

I think i'm skipping 2019 as well, I need to work on my running. Will most probily only do a couple 70.3's next year, unless I can organise an entry into Challenge Roth.

I don't know if PE is worth the money, the support was noticeably less this year, the road surface really sucks and last but not least the crime is out of hand in PE - getting robbed two days before the race is not lekker. IMO rather spend a couple rand extra and race overseas. 

Will be skipping 2019 to focus on Two oceans and some overseas triathlons.... 2020 will be back and planning my sub 11hr !! :ph34r:

That’s my plan too, incorporating 70.3s into a holiday. That way family happy, I get to do a tri at a foreign location aN with a 70.3 recovery is almost immediate after consuming a few beers.

Speaking of Roth, sold out this year as it does every year very very quickly, if you want an entry hook up with mark from 32gi. Gonna cost u 30k though excl flights.

PE is def worth the money. Far cheaper than a full here in Europe.

Roads here in euro ain’t perfect. Roads in my area as an example are shocking. PE was like a carpet in comparison.