Ironman 2018 - PE

clivem

I already have FOMO but must be strong. IM has dominated my life for the past 4.5 years since I made decision to do the full one, was only going to do one but now done PE last 4 years. The commitment to training an the regime is hurting my legs an old squash injuries are haunting me.

Difficult not to get swept up by it.

Looking at our friend that participated this year ... the last 18 months her whole families lives evolved around her training.  MASSIVE commitment to do this properly !!

Absolute respect to each and every one that does this !

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at our friend that participated this year ... the last 18 months her whole families lives evolved around her training. MASSIVE commitment to do this properly !!

This for me is the one negative thing about triathlon.... training for 3 disciplines takes so much time and putting in the required training for an ultra distance makes it even harder.

This for me is the one negative thing about triathlon.... training for 3 disciplines takes so much time and putting in the required training for an ultra distance makes it even harder.

Jip. Exactly the reason why I'm having 2nd thoughts about 2019.... but jeesh, it's a fantastic event!

I already have FOMO but must be strong. IM has dominated my life for the past 4.5 years since I made decision to do the full one, was only going to do one but now done PE last 4 years. The commitment to training an the regime is hurting my legs an old squash injuries are haunting me.

I think the "problem" is that it is more than just a race it becomes a lifestyle.

I think the "problem" is that it is more than just a race it becomes a lifestyle.

It’s a healthy lifestyle and it’s good to be outdoors but it comes to a point where i believe, an I stress this, where I believe it becomes unhealthy. Pushing oneself all the time cannot be good for the body or the psyche, once triathlon begins to define you then you have passed some point where it takes over yr life. I am passed that point and trying to claw back. I want to train 4 to 6 hours a week and do 70.3s and be normal ;)

5 is a nice number to finish on  :whistling:

I was going to skip 2019... but I've changed my mind and will join you on the starting line.

Haha 4 days is all it took.. welcome back

It’s a healthy lifestyle and it’s good to be outdoors but it comes to a point where i believe, an I stress this, where I believe it becomes unhealthy. Pushing oneself all the time cannot be good for the body or the psyche, once triathlon begins to define you then you have passed some point where it takes over yr life. I am passed that point and trying to claw back. I want to train 4 to 6 hours a week and do 70.3s and be normal ;)

Wow, I can't remember what a 4 hour week feels like  :whistling:

5 is a nice number to finish on  :whistling:

:devil:  He he he, I enjoyed that  :thumbup:

Got an email with a link to my Finish Pix photos from race day.  No charge as I'm "a loyal client of Standard Bank".  Wow, nice touch when in this life nothing's for free!

Looking at our friend that participated this year ... the last 18 months her whole families lives evolved around her training.  MASSIVE commitment to do this properly !!

It does impact the entire family, and each athlete needs the support of his/her spouse. My hubby supports me 100%. He will even drive me to races, help with packing/unpacking gear, make dinner when I am too tired to even think, etc. They really are the unsung heroes in this crazy pursuit. 

Wow, I can't remember what a 4 hour week feels like  :whistling:

lol, even my weeks off recovering from IM is more than 4-6hrs!!  :lol:

Got an email with a link to my Finish Pix photos from race day. No charge as I'm "a loyal client of Standard Bank". Wow, nice touch when in this life nothing's for free!

Yip. I got em all free. Just has the standard bank logo at the bottom but if I spent a bit of time I could crop that out.

Very nice touch. Well done standard bank.

So last night I am chatting to SWAMBO and said that I am doing IM again next year. This did not incur the wrath-and then I realised that IM to her is any Triathlon that I go and do where I have to get on a plane. After all this time she still isn't sure which discipline comes first-doesnt help if you throw duathlon or Xterra in the mix. She is not a big fan-so you guys with spouses are blessed. On that train of thought with that in mind I said: " the one in PE where you passed out from drinking (supporting) and I had to come looking for you" and still I think it didn't compute.

But after swearing on my mothers grave that I was done with IM the call of the Red Carpet is strong and with my career changing to where I have more free time to limit the impact of training, I will be on  the beach in 2019.    

It does impact the entire family, and each athlete needs the support of his/her spouse. My hubby supports me 100%. He will even drive me to races, help with packing/unpacking gear, make dinner when I am too tired to even think, etc. They really are the unsung heroes in this crazy pursuit. 

Absolutely agree. I was extremely fortunate enough that my GF and Son were on the bike course and later moved to the run course, in total i saw them 7 times during the day and they had made me a little surprise

post-46817-0-59371700-1524648047_thumb.jpg

post-46817-0-78950400-1524648062_thumb.jpg

I tell you , when i was in the darkest of dark spaces these helped immensely 

So last night I am chatting to SWAMBO and said that I am doing IM again next year. This did not incur the wrath-and then I realised that IM to her is any Triathlon that I go and do where I have to get on a plane. After all this time she still isn't sure which discipline comes first-doesnt help if you throw duathlon or Xterra in the mix. She is not a big fan-so you guys with spouses are blessed. On that train of thought with that in mind I said: " the one in PE where you passed out from drinking (supporting) and I had to come looking for you" and still I think it didn't compute.

But after swearing on my mothers grave that I was done with IM the call of the Red Carpet is strong and with my career changing to where I have more free time to limit the impact of training, I will be on  the beach in 2019.    

Come train with us. Lots of support, **** talk and general (fun) trouble with the team at Troisports. All levels are welcome. Makes the journey even better. 

Absolutely agree. I was extremely fortunate enough that my GF and Son were on the bike course and later moved to the run course, in total i saw them 7 times during the day and they had made me a little surprise

I tell you , when i was in the darkest of dark spaces these helped immensely 

Wow. That is really awesome. Even made me feel all sentimental...  :blush:

Archived