Ironman 2018 - PE

clivem

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the bike cut off time?

Most Ironman events have a limited time of 17 hours to complete the race. The race typically starts at 7:00 a.m.; the mandatory swim cut off for the 2.4-mile (3.86 km) swim is 9:20 a.m. (2 hours 20 minutes), the mandatory bike cut off time is 5:30 p.m. (8 hours 10 minutes), and the mandatory marathon cut off is midnight (6 hours 30 minutes). Any participant who manages to complete the triathlon in these timings is designated an Ironman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironman_Triathlon

So if i am reading this correctly, for Aerodynamic purposes one should fit a 23mm tyre on a 25mm rim, anyone doing this or have an opinion on this?

post-46817-0-29119200-1510652420_thumb.jpg

So if i am reading this correctly, for Aerodynamic purposes one should fit a 23mm tyre on a 25mm rim, anyone doing this or have an opinion on this?

attachicon.gifZipp_404_25mm_Tunnel_grande.jpg

At what speed does it relate to?  For us age groupers am not sure we will notice or benefit much for the drag reduction.

It's a long day in saddle, if your frame can take it, fit 25mm for added comfort... that road is not bad but not the greatest.

I run 25mm tyres with 50/88 combo wheels FYI.

attachicon.gifZipp_404_25mm_Tunnel_grande.jpg

The top 15 Pro's in Kona all ran 23mm front tyres.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Bike_details_of_the_Top_15_Kona_male_Pros_6639.html

But I agree with Shaper - I don't think us age groupers will notice much of a  benefit.

Edit: Cameron Wurf who broke the Kona bike course record ran a 22mm Continental clincher.

The top 15 Pro's in Kona all ran 23mm front tyres.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Bike_details_of_the_Top_15_Kona_male_Pros_6639.html

But I agree with Shaper - I don't think us age groupers will notice much of a  benefit.

Edit: Cameron Wurf who broke the Kona bike course record ran a 22mm Continental clincher.

Interesting to see lots of the pro's with 170mm cranks and even some on 165mm... possibly to have higher cadence to match run leg?

Have also read that a shorter crank length is used to limit knee extension and hip rotation.

The human body is an incredible machine capable of far more than we realize. So long as you can swim a bit, cycle a bit and run a bit IM is possible. The belief that it is possible is the where the real excercise is needed.

5 Months to go  :eek:

http://eu.ironman.com/~/media/40097873f6ca4e92bdd84ad972127cb8/08082017%20rotator%20imsouthafrica%201600x980%201.jpg?w=1600&h=980&c=1

A few remarks.

1.  Running a marathon.  You don't have to run a full marathon before doing IM and in fact doing so will probably set your training back greatly as you will need weeks to recover.  What is however important is that you run combined mileage of at least 40km for a couple of weeks consecutively leading up to the race (say 3-6 weeks out).  Go read Lionel Sander's blog.  If you really want to run a marathon I would advise doing it before the new year so that there is sufficient resting time

2.  25mm tyres definitely makes a difference mainly because their pressure is half of a 23mm tubby so the ride is a lot softer.  If you are not used to the PE roads it definitely tires you out after 5 hours of shaking consistently.  Also make sure you fasten everything on your bike as stuff will fall of.  You need to be smart in the way you also store the pump bottle on your bike as they are bound to fall out when hitting one of those speedbumps.  I have installed a custom rubber band thingy on my bottle holder between my tri bars to fasten the pump bottle which works fairly well

It looks like I will be skipping this race for the first time in 5 years.  R6,600 is just too expensive for one race.

2.  25mm tyres definitely makes a difference mainly because their pressure is half of a 23mm tubby so the ride is a lot softer.  If you are not used to the PE roads it definitely tires you out after 5 hours of shaking consistently.  Also make sure you fasten everything on your bike as stuff will fall of.  You need to be smart in the way you also store the pump bottle on your bike as they are bound to fall out when hitting one of those speedbumps.  I have installed a custom rubber band thingy on my bottle holder between my tri bars to fasten the pump bottle which works fairly well

At what pressure should you run 25mm tires on this course?

Archived