Tygerberg trails - newbie question

SiriS

Hi, pls help - racking my brains for good places to ride that are easy on a beginner.

Trying to get about 20km in with moderate climbing. I'm experienced, but my partner not. Stairway to Heaven at Meerendal ended in tears twice :)

Any good suggestions? Hoogies/Conties would be too challenging.

Thanks!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There isn't very much that's easier than Meerendal if you leave out the steep Dorstberg climb.

You could try Koeberg where it is really flat and basically just dirt road. IF you hear a whooooosh don't panic - it's just Thor Buttox.

Conters Blue route is not hectic at a sedate pace, and the climbing won't ruin the relationship with your partner either ...... and then you have the flipping awesome Dairy Shed to stop off at when you are done.

Nope, Meeries would be the easiest

The loops around the vineyards beneath the main house & restaurants has gradual inclines.

Maybe do a few as part of your building up to bigger endurance? 

Conters Blue route is not hectic at a sedate pace, and the climbing won't ruin the relationship with your partner either ...... and then you have the flipping awesome Dairy Shed to stop off at when you are done.

Their carrot cake... OMG NOM NOM NOM!

now I have a baker in CT that makes the awesome Conters carrot cake taste like a 3 day old pick and pay special......yes that is a big statement, but one that can be backed up!

Hi, pls help - racking my brains for good places to ride that are easy on a beginner.

Trying to get about 20km in with moderate climbing. I'm experienced, but my partner not. Stairway to Heaven at Meerendal ended in tears twice :)

Any good suggestions? Hoogies/Conties would be too challenging.

Thanks!

Meerendal.

If the stairway climb ended in tears...#yourdoingitwrong (lmao). But seriously, My wife also has problems with climbing, I try to teach her to spin up the hill but as slowly as possible. 

Most newbies see the hill, fear sets in, heart starts racing and legs start spinning like crazy... halfway up all their energy is spent. 

So just slow everything down, climb to speed lower than 5km/h, if possible and work from there.

I'll be honest, I've not ridden Meerendal but I've taken friends who are pretty new to bikes on Conties and they have been fine. A couple have struggled on the climb out of Supertubes up towards Cheeky corners but that is a short section and can be walked if need be. There is also a little steep down bit at the end of Cheeky Corners before the run out to the tabletop that is a bit 'exciting' for beginners. other than that it's pretty good. You can take the short cut back to the cafe or carry on up under the tunnel, the lake and on to the vineyard and home. 

If that is a bit much there is a green loop that is quite short but will be very fun for super beginners as it's flat with some little bermy corners and starts just as you go over the stile up towards the crushing machine of the plant. Hit right, it's sign posted, and off you go. 

One thing I would stress though and has been given as bad advice her already is..... don't have the carrot cake, have the omelette with the farm bread. Waaaaay better. ;)

now I have a baker in CT that makes the awesome Conters carrot cake taste like a 3 day old pick and pay special......yes that is a big statement, but one that can be backed up!

joh... that's a seriously big accolade, that... 

joh... that's a seriously big accolade, that... 

Sounds like a taste challenge being thrown down. ;)

Sounds like a taste challenge being thrown down. ;)

The OP wants to go ride - not vreet! :whistling:

Meerendal - take it easy and don't yell at her...yet

Please stop derailing this thread with this......

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/food/ic/food_16x9_448/recipes/classic_carrot_cake_08513_16x9.jpg

Interesting comments - none "wrong", but all really speaks to the different levels of riders ...

As I have an almost 6 year old training partner Meerendal certainly is our venue of choice.

The loop past the dam and the vinyard certainly is as easy as it gets - even though Maritz still walks about 30m of the climb next to the vinyard.

Last week I went on my own and ventured into the EASIER parts up the hill.  I was having a blast, despite walking two short sections.  I also stopped for a few photos.

THE Buttox must have been there, as I heard the WHoooossss  a few times :)

I also saw families having a blast, daddy being patient with mommy and the kids ....

Also saw a lady with a slightly less patient gent .... she was scared of the Mineshaft .... could not pedal up the next section ..... 

Few more that were huffing and puffing just enough that I did not have to feel too bad about my slow progress.

Meerendal certainly caters for one and all - that is one and all of the non-snakes .....

And there are enough contour lines that you really dont have to climb any stairways, if that is not your thing ....

The OP wants to go ride - not vreet! :whistling:

Meerendal - take it easy and don't yell at her...yet

Nutrition is essential for become a good climber yoh

Archived