Knysna Cycle Tour

Super Sywurm

It'll be a resurrection moment for the town to host the Oyster Festival in some form.

Right now, it's time to mourn and send good vibes.

????????????

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Garden route was my favourate holiday destination SA.  Will be there on holiday again in Sedgefield in two months time.  I suppose it will rather schocking to see the damage.

Obviously what is happening there is very sad. No one should ever have to go through that pain, the loss of property is bad, the loss of life even more so - especially those who can't save themselves. It is tragic that those who are trying to save others also come to harm in situations like these. 

I feel very sad for those people, the scars of this will be with them for the rest of their lives. Worst part is that this whole disaster was not an act of God but arson.

But I do not entertain SJWs.

Tjom, jy mis die punt, mense het seer hier. Niemand is uit om n SJW te wees en mense teen jou op te sweep nie.

As jy in n moerige bui is gaan tempteer liewer vir Cav' of Patch of Coppi op die Dauphine groep.

EDIT:"Niemand" spelfout

Garden route was my favourate holiday destination SA.  

It's still there...  ^_^ Just a bit beaten up!

It's still there...  ^_^ Just a bit beaten up!

Meaning while I was still living in SA. ;)  Will be returning to it in future as well but not annually.

In general I think a wait and see approach is probably what's been required here. Let them take stock.

Where is everyone going to stay?

Ingwe and other guest lodges have opened their doors to house affected families and try to provide some shelter and ease the panic.

There are thousands of people with nowhere to go. BnB's, guest houses, hotels, schools etc all burnt down.

Housing thousands of visitors for some sportsing might not be the most strategic thing. 

We don't know yet what the extent of damage is.

There's talk of 300 houses gone, but how many of those are BnBs? we don't know how much accommodation was lost, but most of the damage appears to be residential.

Beyond that I fail to see what the damage is that will affect the festival. If anything I expect them to put on a show almost to say we're rebuilding. Oyster festival is way more than just the big 5 sports events, and to drop it for the year would be a double blow to the local economy

Tjom, jy mis die punt, mense het seer hier. Niemand is uit om n SJW te wees en mense teen jou op te sweep nie.

As jy in n moerige bui is gaan tempteer liewer vir Cav' of Patch of Coppi op die Dauphine groep.

EDIT:"Niemand" spelfout

Having also read your posts on MBB "Whoopsie! Seems I have rustled some jimmies redface.gifhttps://www.bikehub.co.za/forum/topi...our/?p=3142871"... you are clearly out to get some sort of reaction.

Now other people are suddenly SJWs.

Perhaps some people are just simply too egocentric to notice anyone else's pain, and to ignorant to just say "hey, I'm sorry".

How many of the high horse riders here have actually done something to help?

Shouting at Rouxenator for making stupid remarks doesn't help anybody.

And no, keeping somebody in your "thoughts and prayers" is not helping.

This festival will be used as a tool to united Knysna, your economic contribution will also go long way to helping the local businesses, go support it if you can.

How many of the high horse riders here have actually done something to help?

This festival will be used as a tool to united Knysna, your economic contribution will also go long way to helping the local businesses, go support it if you can.

Fair point :thumbup:

If anyone was on the fence about going to the festival this year, get off the fence and Go!

For the rest of us, many courier companies have made it easy to donate stuff to Knysna, let us use it!

I for one did not consciously decide to help out where I can until just now thanks to the comment from Patch. And that is the point of forums like this, a place where we can call each other out and take the comment on the chin and correct whatever we were called out on.

Or you can make a donation to the various organisations that are helping out in Knysna. Gift of the Givers is one such organisation that I donate to. 

Fair point [emoji106]

If anyone was on the fence about going to the festival this year, get off the fence and Go!

For the rest of us, many courier companies have made it easy to donate stuff to Knysna, let us use it!

I for one did not consciously decide to help out where I can until just now thanks to the comment from Patch. And that is the point of forums like this, a place where we can call each other out and take the comment on the chin and correct whatever we were called out on.

Yeah.. most towns have set up collection points and are sending donations down to the effected areas..plenty ways to help out without being near.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Actually, lets do this. Here is a call to all those high horse riding SJWs. I made a tiny donation of R100 to the Gift of the Givers organisation to help out in Knysna. 

Who of you is going to top that? It's for a good cause. Now is the time to put your money where your mouth is. 

I've been listening in on some groups since my family live there.

By what I could piece together the long mtb will be effected as follows:

The first 45km of the course is on tar or dirtroads anyway, If anything one will still see spectacular views and have a good view of much of the destruction on the western side of Knysna which was hit hardest.

The first 20 km past Simola, goes through an area hit hard by the fires. Many houses along that valley up to the Simola climb was destroyed. Friends of mine having a baby girl in 3 weeks' house burnt to the ground there.  It will be hectic to see going through there for the race..

Not sure how much of the down and up the big Gouna climb was hit since most of the news on the groups was about property damage not forests burning down. Somewhere along that back road (Kom te pad) towards "Petrus se brand" the route should get back to the forrested areas and stay that way for most of the second half.

I think the locals will appreciate our business very much. Local businesses are all helping where they can and by us showing up and putting some money back into their economy will be very welcome.

A long time friend who owns the oldest bikeshop in Knysna lost his house. So pop into Knysna Cycleworks and Buy a bike ;) Of my oldtimer Knysna local cycling group 4 guys lost their houses. It might actually be a good Idea of us to start donating cycling kit to Knysna since its probably the last thing guys will spend money on.

Much of the damage is done along, and will be very visible along the N2 coming into Knysna. Many guesthouses along there was destroyed but there are many more so come, show your support, even camp, great camp spots at Buffalo bay, Monks Caravan park, etc..

Regards

Actually, lets do this. Here is a call to all those high horse riding SJWs. I made a tiny donation of R100 to the Gift of the Givers organisation to help out in Knysna.

Who of you is going to top that? It's for a good cause. Now is the time to put your money where your mouth is.

Oh

????????‍♂️

Lots of one-up-manship, lots of very good comments and many just high horse manure. If Knysna decide to go ahead with the festival, and I hope they do, we should support. In the meantime there are many that need our donations of whatever kind. So let's just do it. 

Archived