Open Water Swimming

IceCreamMan

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Anyone know of a swimming course Total immersion that was held in Cape Town a few years back? Anyone know of a couch or someone that can help a newbie swim better for triathlon. Can basically just not drown and maybe do 1-2 laps op struggling to swim

• 1 month later...

I have a couple of titanium plates and screws on my eye sockets and cheek bones. Where can I find goggles with a wider silicone strap than the normal Speedo and Arena ones for a better water tight seal?

I have a couple of titanium plates and screws on my eye sockets and cheek bones. Where can I find goggles with a wider silicone strap than the normal Speedo and Arena ones for a better water tight seal?

Maybe try something like this from Aqua Sphere https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/aqua-sphere-vista-goggle-1480199?gclid=Cj0KCQiAno_uBRC1ARIsAB496IVgAdnTx9MUMWoArpm_nXncyN-zYwIWxOzX-_lc27aj1JniaVkgKJUaAq95EALw_wcB

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Time to revive this old topic!

I have started open water swimming. I consider myself to have a reasonable fitness base. I can comfortably cycle 100km and run a marathon. Sure, I am not going to be on a podium anytime soon, but I wont break my body to pieces either.

Tried to do a 1km swim in the ocean and i totally struggled. I have ZERO form and had to stop several times to catch my breath. I need to find a rhythm.

That being said...I had a BLAST. Loved it completely and it is now the thing i look forward to the most on an early Saturday morning.

It helps that I am swimming with my wife.

Pics of us getting ready for an early morning swim.

260966282_10161295123179186_428325680245503835_n.jpg

261505678_10161295117914186_1811972394321485596_n.jpg

261646495_10161295122099186_1030079036919472537_n (1).jpg

Nice!

My advice would be to find a Total Immersion (or similar) coach and pay for a few sessions/courses. 

It is really difficult to unlearn bad technique. Better to learn while you're fresh.

The outlay may seem unnecessary but IMHO it's worth it. 

Enjoy! Your running has come on massively in the last year, so some 'off weight' non impact exercise will definitely have an added benefit.

58 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Nice!

My advice would be to find a Total Immersion (or similar) coach and pay for a few sessions/courses. 

It is really difficult to unlearn bad technique. Better to learn while you're fresh.

The outlay may seem unnecessary but IMHO it's worth it. 

Enjoy! Your running has come on massively in the last year, so some 'off weight' non impact exercise will definitely have an added benefit.

This is so true. My right side breathing that I used as a child when fooling around in the pool/sea (never did swim as a sport) is so much worst than my left that I had to learn in the last 5 years. I cant help myself/fix it to the same level as the left.