Open Water Swimming

IceCreamMan

Had my first swim in new goggles! Roka R1. They felt great, not a drop of leakage, even with straps not on too tight, not much fogging, didn't suck my eyes out like my old speedos used to do by the end of the swim. 

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am new to the swimming/sinking sport, and besides the normal handicap of being 15kg overweight and not having done any swimming for years, I wear prescription glasses. So here in lies the problem...if I take them off, I cannot see a whale swim past, never-mind spot a buoy at 200m

Which goggles offer prescription lenses (I only found some TYR models in the UK) and where do I go for this in SA?

It will not help me having the hydrodynamics of a brick...but at least I can then see where everyone is disappearing to

I am new to the swimming/sinking sport, and besides the normal handicap of being 15kg overweight and not having done any swimming for years, I wear prescription glasses. So here in lies the problem...if I take them off, I cannot see a whale swim past, never-mind spot a buoy at 200m

Which goggles offer prescription lenses (I only found some TYR models in the UK) and where do I go for this in SA?

It will not help me having the hydrodynamics of a brick...but at least I can then see where everyone is disappearing to

Time for contact lenses? I wear and they don't wash out, even if a bit of water gets in the goggles

You not able to wear contact lenses?  I wear contact lenses with goggle with no problem at all

Had my first swim in new goggles! Roka R1. They felt great, not a drop of leakage, even with straps not on too tight, not much fogging, didn't suck my eyes out like my old speedos used to do by the end of the swim. 

Where did you get them, and how much? Last night I had endless issues with my Speedos. 

You should really look at wearing contacts. I can't imagine wearing glasses in any stage of a race. You would then also need prescription glasses on the bike as I don't believe normal glasses offer enough protection and shielding from the wind. 

You not able to wear contact lenses?  I wear contact lenses with goggle with no problem at all

I have tried contacts for normal daily use...which did not end well...

Might be worth it to give it another go.... Haven't even thought of contacts again

Thanks

You should really look at wearing contacts. I can't imagine wearing glasses in any stage of a race. You would then also need prescription glasses on the bike as I don't believe normal glasses offer enough protection and shielding from the wind. 

I do have prescription glasses which I use for the bike and run, and that works pretty well... used to use normal frame and then decided an a pair of Oakley Flak 2.0 with the right lenses...made a huge difference in protection and comfort.

I have tried contacts for normal daily use...which did not end well...

Might be worth it to give it another go.... Haven't even thought of contacts again

Thanks

Im in the same situation, my eye condition makes contacts super uncomfortable and I cant see anything without my glasses.

I have done a bunch of tri's without being able to see though, I just get into a fairly fast group and lurk behind them hoping they will be able to steer me.

Biggest problem is in transition trying to find my bike!

Where did you get them, and how much? Last night I had endless issues with my Speedos. 

Ordered them online from the Roka site, paid R887 but half of that was shipping - and I think i chose the (more expensive) quicker delivery option. 

dont think the roka is available in RSA, i could never swim with the speedos as it just did not fit my face right (probably by big nose cept getting in the way of a proper fit). TYR works just fine for me

For those of you in the Cape, who enjoy sea swimming but can also run. Check this out:

www.torpedoswimrun.com 

It's 16km of swimming and running from Sandy Bay to Clifton 4...

For those of you in the Cape, who enjoy sea swimming but can also run. Check this out:

www.torpedoswimrun.com 

It's 16km of swimming and running from Sandy Bay to Clifton 4...

That is a serious distance to swim, respect to those athletes. 

That is a serious distance to swim, respect to those athletes. 

according to the website it adds up to 3km of swimming and 13km of running...looks pretty cool though

according to the website it adds up to 3km of swimming and 13km of running...looks pretty cool though

Look up Otillo Swimrun - they have races in the most beautiful places, cool looking events