Open Water Swimming

IceCreamMan

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

according to the website it adds up to 3km of swimming and 13km of running...looks pretty cool though

There are 6 swims and 6 runs that make up the 16km. It's run onto swim onto run, and so on.

The total of the 6 swims = 3km.

The total of the 6 runs = 13km. 

Here is the route: 

You do it in teams of 2. 

There is also no transition, you swim in your running shoes and run in your wetsuit. 

Look up Otillo Swimrun - they have races in the most beautiful places, cool looking events

Sheesh.... looks a little hardcore from 2:38 

Shame I see Terry Laughlin of Total Immersion has passed away.

I spent many many hours looking through his videos 

Does anyone here do the tinman durban triathlons?and also the miway ultra durban edition?

if you do what was your experience of the race on sunday?did yu have to change your race plan?

Does anyone here do the tinman durban triathlons?and also the miway ultra durban edition?

if you do what was your experience of the race on sunday?did yu have to change your race plan?

I've only ever done one Tinman (2 years ago maybe), and it was my first tri. We drove down from joburg specially for the swim because we were so terrified of the ocean swim in the Ironman 70.3 in Durbs we'd signed up for later that year.

First ocean swim, first time in wetsuit, first time swimming with people climbing on top of me.. :eek:

Also, the first time we heard of draft legal and non draft races too. I still had my road bike so I was good, my mate had a tri bike so he sat and watched as I did the ride, then we both hit the run.

I can't remember anything about the actual race nor organisation but it sure was a learning experience. 

Miway Durbs this year was one of the best outings I've ever had. The ocean was so clear we could see the bottom. The organisation is awesome, the run was roasting hot but they just about managed to keep up with water supplies, taking it easy on the run was the only conscious decision I had to make (on changing a race plan) because of the heat

The only problem was local families not giving a $%& on the run route with kids and toys and humans scattered on the running path.

Looks interesting. What shoes are the participants wearing? And isn't there good potential to overheat in those wetsuits on the run portions? 

http://torpedoswimrun.com/

two person team race where teams swim and run together from start to finishacross Cape Town’s most iconic beaches and bays. World-famous sites like Llandudno, Oudekraal, Camps Bay and Clifton form part of the 16km route. There are 6 swim segments (totalling 3km) and 6 run segments (totalling 13km). Wetsuits and running shoes are kept on for the duration of the event as there are no transition zones; you simply get out of the water and run – until the next swim leg.

Edited by EmJayZA

Hi Everyone.

So the end of December, I'll be going to East London for holiday and want to know if there are any swimming groups i could possibly join to get my first ocean swim under me?

Also with East London beaches being one of the highest with shark attacks, should i be concerned with being confused with a seal?

Will be in Gonubie for the stay.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone doing Midmar this weekend? Would be great to see some race reports!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Water was choppy for 2, 3, & 4. #1 was pretty good with them also admitting #2 was over subscribed by around 1,000 swimmers

Edited by Jigghead