Internal cable routing noise

Procal1979

Hi. Does anybody have a solution for noisy rattling internal cables? It's going to drive me crazy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi. Does anybody have a solution for noisy rattling internal cables? It's going to drive me crazy!!!

Sorry I don't have a solution, but isn't your cables maybe a bit too long? I can't understand how it could be rattling if it should be under tension?

Maybe I'm missing something?

No, its actually the cable housing running inside of the frame rattling against the frame on rough terrain.

No, its actually the cable housing running inside of the frame rattling against the frame on rough terrain.

Might not be your cable housing, might actually be something loose inside the frame rattling?

Loads of newer bikes with full length cable housing and internal routing tend to do this.

Some of the things that I've seen people use successfully:

- Styrofoam packing peanuts (Probably depends on you BB)

- Foam tubing that is used for pipe insulation

- Strips of foam mattress pushed into the down tube

I'd say my choice would be to can get pipe insulation over the cable housing (perhaps at the BB) before setting up final cable routing.  That's what I did on my one bike

I've also heard of guys wrapping the cable with adhesive backed weather foam and then adding a zip tie to either end to prevent it unraveling.

http://mypurplemartinblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/foam-tape-300x300.jpg

heavy duty cable ties around the cables. Sadly, that sometimes requires the removal of the cable from the internal cavity, but just tie some string around the housing before you remove it so you can get it back in easier. 

Tie 2 large cable ties around the cable right next to each other (must be relatively large in order to be stiff enough to suspend the cable in the frame) in sorta the middle point of teh internal section of cable. Cable ties must be in opposing directions so they look like wings, almost... 

DON'T CUT THEM SHORT. Wrap them around the cable, so they can get inside the frame port. As they go inside, they should unravel and brace themselves - and the cable - against the inside walls of your frame, thereby suspending the cable. 

May need to do this in 2 places on each cable that's internally routed. 

Got this too. If I pull on the cable housing where it enters the frame then it disappears so its the slack cable hanging in the frame that is rattling. I pulled the cable tight and tied a cable tie right where it enters the frame. this gives me about 1 minute of silence. Sadly.

Not keen on removing it and adding any kind of padding - the hole is too small anyway. Fairly frustrating.

It a Trigon hardtail.

Get some soft plastic tubing from local hardware store, or pet shop that supplies tubing for fish tanks. If you don't want to remove cables, first slit tube in it's length and feed it into the frame over the cable, taping it with insulation tape every 100mm or so. Works perfectly. Had the same problem with my Trance, nearly drove me crazy.

Edited by joevan

Okay I found some foam rubber extrusion hose at HRC Industries in Pretoria West. The guy was nice enough to give me a 2 meter piece for free. I think it cost something like R13/meter. It is basically that rubber seal strip on the inside of your car door except this one is more like a hose. I will install it during the week at the local bike shop because the will need to bleed the brake fluid. Hope this will solve it!!

Its a Trek Procaliber 9.9

Okay I found some foam rubber extrusion hose at HRC Industries in Pretoria West. The guy was nice enough to give me a 2 meter piece for free. I think it cost something like R13/meter. It is basically that rubber seal strip on the inside of your car door except this one is more like a hose. I will install it during the week at the local bike shop because the will need to bleed the brake fluid. Hope this will solve it!!

Its a Trek Procaliber 9.9

That should work...