[Event] Carnival City Macsteel National Classic 2017

Frosty

So at the prize giving I saw that there were 2 donations made to charities. R100k and R75k. Now that's not small money. Then we somehow managed a 3rd spot and all our winnings goes to my toppie because he is my cash cow and pays for all entries and bike spares etc etc so I didn't actually know how much we won, He has just told me now. Without giving out figures I can say that for a 3rd spot here we got more than a win at satellite(same category). Now that is generous!!!!!

Well done to the Rolling Stones!

My son came third in Junior Men category in the 34km MTB event.......his prize money didn't even cover the entry amount!!

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I cant use it to judge the possibility of a sub 3 94.7?

The organisation of this event was superb! I liked the fact that there were cones to protect riders when warming up on the road from the robot to the start. I've noticed that as I get fitter and older I take longer to get warm.

I don't think so, last year was lots of wind which made it very hard, the 947 has double the climbing but 10k shorter.

In some races the marshals still tell the bunch to keep left, this marshal said nothing, just parked his bike to the right of the line. He got sworn from a few riders, was very unpopular after that.

The problem I have with guys crossing over the line is that when a car comes they move left and squeeze back into the bunch and often it's some poor guy who's riding on the left that gets taken out.

Heard that one of the Vets bunch were completely in the right lane (because of the wind) and the cars were overtaking them on the left side of the road.

He stopped his bike on the line itself. How nobody went down I don’t know . Lots of swerving and sudden braking .

He should of warned the guys over the line . Some cars & trucks werent exactly crawling along either . Why would you ride on the wrong side and take that chance . And endanger the rest of us in the process.

The 1st guy not the 2nd...but I think he stalled the bike ?? Seemed like he was trying to get it restarted?

Edited by Pikey

In some races the marshals still tell the bunch to keep left, this marshal said nothing, just parked his bike to the right of the line. He got sworn from a few riders, was very unpopular after that.

The problem I have with guys crossing over the line is that when a car comes they move left and squeeze back into the bunch and often it's some poor guy who's riding on the left that gets taken out.

Heard that one of the Vets bunch were completely in the right lane (because of the wind) and the cars were overtaking them on the left side of the road. 

Heard? I have posted pictures of this before at various races, where VA would ride along the right edge go the road to gutter.

Not this race, but happens far too often..... I wish the marshals would do more about it.

http://www.cyclenation.co.za/images/phocagallery/2016/raceforvictory/IMG_7015.JPG

http://www.cyclenation.co.za/images/phocagallery/2016/raceforvictory/IMG_6995.JPG

Well done to the Rolling Stones!

My son came third in Junior Men category in the 34km MTB event.......his prize money didn't even cover the entry amount!!

Impossible, as the entry was R180 and the prize money for third was R250.

b520907d2f579edf23a252caf910dd9f.jpg

2d0c2961c0ebaaadbd0d7370c650cd0d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He stopped his bike on the line itself. How nobody went down I don’t know . Lots of swerving and sudden braking .

He should of warned the guys over the line . Some cars & trucks werent exactly crawling along either . Why would you ride on the wrong side and take that chance . And endanger the rest of us in the process.

The 1st guy not the 2nd...but I think he stalled the bike ?? Seemed like he was trying to get it restarted?

Yeah the marshals had some methods that I do not think we effective to get the guys to fall back. But really the first looks like he had a problem with his bike. The other on the bridge could have done it differently.

Maybe they were tired or something... or maybe those were the instructions from the organizers, Gerald can help there.

For a few KMs I thought we did not have bike marshals... then the guy who stopped first joined us and did that. Then I laughed at wanting them to be there. lol

Good race overall. My crank does not allow me to compete for the podium... next year!

Edited by Lostee

My crank does not allow me to compete for the podium... next year!

My legs don’t allow for me to compete,or my lungs or my head or my ...nah can’t blame my ♣️ She’s well up for it.

Impossible, as the entry was R180 and the prize money for third was R250.

b520907d2f579edf23a252caf910dd9f.jpg

2d0c2961c0ebaaadbd0d7370c650cd0d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Late entry R230 plus R25 for a Racetec number board ( we are forced to buy even though we have a Racetec chip!

My legs don’t allow for me to compete,or my lungs or my head or my ...nah can’t blame my ♣️ She’s well up for it.

Hahahahahaha lol, I ride compact, so on a flat race it's pretty difficult... but it can be done.

Please don't make me face reality.  :ph34r:

The marshals are not the problem. The knobheads who ride on the wrong side of the road are.

And they put everyone else at risk as well,not just themselves. Couple of guys rode there regardless of everyone shouting at them . Cars had to go half dirt half road.

They will be the 1st to moan if this effects road races negatively and get cancelled or something similar .

Hahahahahaha lol, I ride compact, so on a flat race it's pretty difficult... but it can be done.

Please don't make me face reality. :ph34r:

Please don't make me face reality. :ph34r:

Me to,love it . There’s more meat on a butcher's pencil than my legs so ain’t happening . Beside as long as I hang with my group am happy ???? Edited by Pikey

R2500 for first in mnt bike race ...bloody ell ????????????????????

That’s pretty fricken sweet i’d Say. Never thought it would be that much.

Heard? I have posted pictures of this before at various races, where VA would ride along the right edge go the road to gutter.

Not this race, but happens far too often..... I wish the marshals would do more about it.

http://www.cyclenation.co.za/images/phocagallery/2016/raceforvictory/IMG_7015.JPG

http://www.cyclenation.co.za/images/phocagallery/2016/raceforvictory/IMG_6995.JPG

Not at this race? Are you having a laugh? Despite promises that crossing the white line will result in action the commissaire followed in his car while watching the guys ride straight into on-coming traffic. 

I wasn't there so I can't state it as a fact but I also have no reason to disbelieve the guy that told me.

If they had to disqualify people that crossed the white line I guess that they'd disqualify 30-40% of the field. This would probably result in 30-40% less people entering that particular event the following year and that's where the problem lies - 30-40% less income.

I would guess that the Elites also cross the white line and nothing seems to happen there either.

Sometimes it's just practical to cross the white line, maybe there's a hole on the left hand side of the road and the whole bunch moves right and then back again but then there are guys that just ride there and when a car comes from the front they squeeze in and that's when a crash often happens.

Yesterday in the B bunch it was ok, even though the bunch was big there wasn't much squeezing in besides that time the marshal stopped his bike on the white line.

So, noticed rider in our group (AL) on Strava, but no result on ractetec... also wondered during the ride why no number? Put it down to his wind jacket over his racing shirt maybe? Shame on you for riding and not paying to enter? Or did you....... hope I got it wrong? Anyway, you know who you are...... hope you had a lekker ride!