removal of pedals by spark erosion

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Make 100000 percent sure you are turning it in the correct direction and use a longer lever.... or just visit your local bike shop.

I have had broken cylinder head bolts removed by spark erosion... works well but probably unnecessary on stuck pedals- especially since it guarantees destruction of the pedal.

twisted the LBS's allen key like liquorice - got new pedals to fit - old ones too worn even to keep as spares.currently dripping lemon juice on them every hour. LOL. will ask around for someone with a blow torch.

twisted the LBS's allen key like liquorice - got new pedals to fit - old ones too worn even to keep as spares.currently dripping lemon juice on them every hour. LOL. will ask around for someone with a blow torch.

Blow torch the area , then dip just the pedal in liquid nitrogen ( contact a chemical company) hopefully the axle will shrink enough to break/weaken the bond

If the pedals are toast regardless, and depending on the pedal, this is an easy solution - have done it twice:

Strip the pedal so only the axle is in the crank. Take the axle to the grinder to create flats. Hold the flats in a vice. Twist the crank.

Big vice. Drown the thing in Q20 overnight. Clamp tightly and hammer.

Smile as you hear the creaking sound of the pedal loosening.

To loosen, turn towards the back wheel, i.e drive side is counter-clockwise while non-drive side is clockwise.

Pedals always tighten in the same direction as the bike moves... towards the front

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't there usually an arrow on the crank arm showing which way to tighten?

Nope....but pedalling forward tightens the pedal so to loosen push towards the back wheel.

Please, please, please put copper grease on the thread of the new pedals when fitting them, in fact put copper grease on all your screws/bolts etc when fitting them... it will prevent the unnecessary struggle to loosen said component when needing to replace/service in future

There are three words that come to mind " lack of maintenance" how on earth do pedals end up getting stuck if you are servicing your bike? I remove mine at least every three months, strip and re-grease.

Apply a little copper slip on the threads when you eventually get to fit new pedals.

Unless you have brand spanking new Eagle cranks (which I don't think you do), just chuck your crank with the pedals attached.

Archived