Nutrition on 100km + rides...

Morning all

Question about nutrition on these long days in the saddle rides...

Should one consider taking in some solid food (peanut butter sandwich, banana ect) on rides longer than 100/120km?

On all my previous long rides (longest being 121km) i've always just relied on liquid supplements (little bank sakkies filled with supps and just add them to water bottles on route) and maybe a race food but i'd like to increase the distances to 150km.

(Keep in mind that most of these long rides i do solo and on my MTB)

Thanks in advance  

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morning all

Question about nutrition on these long days in the saddle rides...

Should one consider taking in some solid food (peanut butter sandwich, banana ect) on rides longer than 100/120km?

On all my previous long rides (longest being 121km) i've always just relied on liquid supplements (little bank sakkies filled with supps and just add them to water bottles on route) and maybe a race food but i'd like to increase the distances to 150km.

(Keep in mind that most of these long rides i do solo and on my MTB)

Thanks in advance

Racefood have new flavors to their far bar which are quite good.

You can also try some droewors or unsalted nuts and even a banana will work great.

Personally I use racefood, works brilliantly for me.

Everyone is different so through trial and error you need to work out what works for you. Everyone is an expert on the Hub.

I found that the following works for me:

1 x bottle of water

1 x bottle of 32Gi Race

1 x Peanut butter and banana sandwich

4 x Dates

I replenish the water as an when needed.

I take a small sip every 15 - 20 mins of either the water or the 32Gi. I eat every hour (only a mouthful).

I stay away from Gu and Bars... I find them loaded with sugar and they make me yoyo.

Again, find out what works for you.

Real food is good.  Pack what you LIKE TO EAT, whether it's sweet or savoury.

If you don't like it, it doesn't matter whether it's recommended by Nino and Peter and theHub brains trust, you won't eat it.

Avoid anything you didn't make yourself.  If you can't "cook" (i.e. make a sarmie), then a banana is your best friend.

Goos, tablets, IV's, redbull etc. only to be used in emergencies.

I enjoy fruit cake. Lots of nuts and fruit. It leaves a nice taste in your mouth.

post-40998-0-73635700-1496394142.jpg

I enjoy fruit cake. Lots of nuts and fruit. It leaves a nice taste in your mouth.

Never thought of this.  Great idea and I love this cake. (any cake really)

Oooh yum, can one still buy fruit cake from somewhere? (it being several months past Christmas) And from where. Sounds perfect for my ride tomorrow!

Oooh yum, can one still buy fruit cake from somewhere? (it being several months past Christmas) And from where. Sounds perfect for my ride tomorrow!

Yip, at Woolworths.

Oooh yum, can one still buy fruit cake from somewhere? (it being several months past Christmas) And from where. Sounds perfect for my ride tomorrows!

Our local checkers sell them all year long. Wrap it in tin foil and you have super racefood.

Nice. Just remember that once it's been in your shirt pocket in the sun , over your sweaty bibs , for 100ks, cake doesn't quite look like this anymore. But it tastes good

When i did the Attakwas this year, i only fueled up at the water points with the baby patatoes and bananas ( i even stayed away from the Spur Burger) but at the last water point i just couldn't resist the water melon.

Must say that i like the idea of the peanut butter and banana sandwich... The fruitcake might also do the trick as it seems pretty much the same as a Racefood Farbar, but even the farbars combined with Cadence Marathon is a lot of sugar.

When i did the Attakwas this year, i only fueled up at the water points with the baby patatoes and bananas ( i even stayed away from the Spur Burger) but at the last water point i just couldn't resist the water melon.

Must say that i like the idea of the peanut butter and banana sandwich... The fruitcake might also do the trick as it seems pretty much the same as a Racefood Farbar, but even the farbars combined with Cadence Marathon is a lot of sugar.

Oooh good point about the sugar and fruit cake. When I rode down to Cape Town my favourite at the stops was watermelon and biltong. And mini cheddars.

I do long rides often. I found that the High 5 4:1 bar works best for me. And it has some protein in so you can recover a bit for tomorrows ride.

Archived