WTF CSA?

Patchelicious

Everyone wants a free ride.

Thanks for your considered response. My question is a genuine one.

You make some darnn good points of which this is one. Others, I’m going to put into our discussions.

CSA, I have a love-hate relationship with as there are some great commissares and support staff, but their focus, in my personal experience, is essentially on the racing side of things at the expense of supporting participation.

And I’ve yet to be able to renew my membership online because I’m on their system but never registered myself so don’t have a password...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man I am now tired of talking k#k to you lot.

Going to fit my new Specialized saddle, take a few puffs of my asthma pump and ride my bike.

Have an awesome weekend boys and girls.

O and please cut the boys at CSA some slack.

You want people to give CSA some slack, when they have mismanaged finances and funds and have been complicit in not having adequate insurance cover and instead spending the money on jollies for CSA management?,,,, interesting point of view you have.

If this was company with shareholders, am sure the shareholders would be looking for a vote of no confidence in the management and a replacement of the board.... yet as CSA members we must just suck it up and give them some slack to carry on mismanaging?

Gauteng cycling (the province, not the region) is holding a special AGM tomorrow. Hector Norris Park is the venue @ 17:00.

—— cut———

This will be asked by my club chairman, and race organiser too, among other questions. If anyone wants a chance to bitch, complain, speak their mind, suggest, compliment, etc... here is your chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fork it! The AGM was on the 25th. major face plant. Got this wrong by a country mile... [emoji51][emoji4]

Anyway, found out who the new chairman is, and got his number. Hopefully a chance for some improvements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man I am now tired of talking k#k to you lot.

Going to fit my new Specialized saddle, take a few puffs of my asthma pump and ride my bike.

Have an awesome weekend boys and girls.

O and please cut the boys at CSA some slack.

Sounds like the kind of thing CSA would say.

Sounds like the kind of thing CSA would say.

Not exactly

They will not be chatting to you at that time on a friday evening :)

All jokes asside, members, clubs, regions all need to keep up the pressure for continuous improvement untill our sport is back on track. 

How about chatting to your region and posting on here what they have to report. What have/are they doing for the cyclists in their region lately.

I would love to hear what regions all over SA are communicating and doing for their members.  Just maybe we can all learn from each other. 

What region are you a member of ?

Edited by Rolling Stone

Not exactly

They will not be chatting to you at that time on a friday evening :)

All jokes asside, members, clubs, regions all need to keep up the pressure for continuous improvement untill our sport is back on track. 

How about chatting to your region and posting on here what they have to report.

I have tried several times to have meaningful conversations with them. I have given up.

You can go the "fix CSA" by region route. 

Thanks for your considered response. My question is a genuine one.

You make some darnn good points of which this is one. Others, I’m going to put into our discussions.

CSA, I have a love-hate relationship with as there are some great commissares and support staff, but their focus, in my personal experience, is essentially on the racing side of things at the expense of supporting participation.

And I’ve yet to be able to renew my membership online because I’m on their system but never registered myself so don’t have a password...

You are not completely wrong in your assumption that CSA may be more focused on the racing side of things.

Their membership consists mainly of the more serious cyclists that would  register  or get a racing license to race in the racing batches, regionals and National champs etc.

They only generate income from races that are CSA sanctioning.

There are a number of races that do not sanction for various reasons. There is a whole set of new players in the cycling industry, the race organizers. Some of these believe it is the correct thing to get their races sanctioned and others don’t. Almost the same as the question on do you need a club membership or not. If only 20% of cyclists belong to CSA and a large % of race organizers decide to rather not sanction, then you surely cannot expect all development and growth to be driven by CSA and its structures alone.

I believe that most race organizers also do a lot for the development of the sport, while making a living or trying to at least. We should always be asking  the questions though:

• Is your race CSA sanctioned or not?
  •  If it is:
    • CSA get a whole R10 riders levy per rider (lots of money hey)
      • R5 to CSA  -50%
      • R5 to your Region -50%
    • Race organizer should collect day licenses on behalf of CSA for riders that are not CSA Licensed/members. Think it is currently R35 per racing day.  This should be added on top of your race entry. For this you at least get some insurance cover in the race (ok we know there was a hiccup with this sometime last year but that is sorted now) and I also know of a number of people that were helped out of the dwang by this after a big crash. Just yesterday I spoke to a lady that told me how this helped them out when her son crashed and needed dental surgery. If your race is canctioned and you are not a CSA member and you did not take out a day license, you have none of that cover, too late to come crying after the crash. Then it is time to chat to the race organiser. The fee for day lisences is split :
      • R  10 to CSA +-30%
      • R  20 to Region +- 55%
      • R   5 Admin fee to Race organiser for collecting . +-15%
    • If you did register at CSA then you do not need a day license and R75 (30%) of your registration comes your region. Think you get the same insurance cover (for sanctioned races only though)
  • If the race is not Sanctioned, ask the race organiser:
    • What are you doing for development of the sport with my entry fee?
    • What insurance cov.er do I get in case of a big crash etc.

This is the simple version of how the finances flow and it all falls into place. 

You will notice that in all the above instances a big % of the money should be coming to your region. That is why I am so insistent that the regions need to be held accountable by their members as well as the race organisers who help to generate the income.

And your region must in turn hold CSA accountable.

Edited by Rolling Stone

I have tried several times to have meaningful conversations with them. I have given up.

You can go the "fix CSA" by region route. 

Willing te tell us what Region you from?

The finances is where the CSA and regions fall apart. You have race organisers charging day fees.....some races the CSA will invoice the organiser for those fees, other times not at all.  You have people in regions being caught for theft - and the region's president would choose not to prosecute. You have people organising events for CSA and paid for it, who would then try to make even more money by submitting false invoices, and not paying vendors at all. 

Planned systems that designed to combat financial irregularities have always suffered a quiet death at the CSA. 

The finances is where the CSA and regions fall apart. You have race organisers charging day fees.....some races the CSA will invoice the organiser for those fees, other times not at all.  You have people in regions being caught for theft - and the region's president would choose not to prosecute. You have people organising events for CSA and paid for it, who would then try to make even more money by submitting false invoices, and not paying vendors at all. 

Planned systems that designed to combat financial irregularities have always suffered a quiet death at the CSA. 

Regions meneer, regions do the invoicing. Regions is where it all starts to go wrong. Because their clubs and members are not holding them accountable. Having said that, it looks like it all starts with the clubs and members wanting someone else to do the work and to be the watchdog on their behalf.

Only way to sort it out is to get involved.

It is exactly where my region was for a very long time. Now we have a group of people determined to make a difference and the results are starting to show. There is still a lot of work to be done and hands are needed.

Regions meneer, regions do the invoicing. Regions is where it all starts to go wrong. Because their clubs and members are not holding them accountable. Having said that, it looks like it all starts with the clubs and members wanting someone else to do the work and to be the watchdog on their behalf.

It is exactly where my region was for a very long time. Now we have a group of people determined to make a difference and the results are starting to show. There is still a lot of work to be done and hands are needed.

Is that the only, way? The one and only way? Is there absolutely now other way, not even one other way?

Willing te tell us what Region you from?

If I believed it would make a difference, I would join.

But please don't try and make me look a fool here, I do more for this sport than you know. Just because I am not doing it how you think we should all do it, doesn't mean that there is nothing happening.

Edited by Patchelicious

To be a member of a region you have to join CSA... so doesn't this sort of put the cart before the horse in that many are refusing to join/rejoin CSA because of mismanagement of funds?

So in essence you are asking people to get involved at a club/region level.... just pay the money to CSA and region and then bang your head against the wall... all because you have now paid for that pleasure? :blink:

I think CSA are missing the point.

Without your clients, you have nothing. The cycling public in SA should be CSA's main priority. I am a fun rider. I have no doubt that I am part of the majority of fun riders in SA. In order to improve your cash flow. CSA needs the fun riders to sign up as members. We talk of a bottom up system. Well the fun riders are the bottom. Look after us.

No point sending riders to world medal events. Not even the guys riding on World Tour teams put their hands up to attend these events. They know we are not on the same level. We need to start a 5 to 6 year identification system that British and Aussie Cycling did. Easy if you have the money. We don't have money at the moment. I can't see the current guys at CSA finding a solution to the financial crisis.

CSA have appointed a new Acting President. Well done sir. But this will not solve CSA's financial issues. 

I see way too many "sand bags" within CSA.

A new marketing strategy needs to be formulated. Market the organisation to fun riders.

I think CSA are missing the point.

Without your clients, you have nothing. The cycling public in SA should be CSA's main priority. I am a fun rider. I have no doubt that I am part of the majority of fun riders in SA. In order to improve your cash flow. CSA needs the fun riders to sign up as members. We talk of a bottom up system. Well the fun riders are the bottom. Look after us.

No point sending riders to world medal events. Not even the guys riding on World Tour teams put their hands up to attend these events. They know we are not on the same level. We need to start a 5 to 6 year identification system that British and Aussie Cycling did. Easy if you have the money. We don't have money at the moment. I can't see the current guys at CSA finding a solution to the financial crisis.

CSA have appointed a new Acting President. Well done sir. But this will not solve CSA's financial issues. 

I see way too many "sand bags" within CSA.

A new marketing strategy needs to be formulated. Market the organisation to fun riders.

Thing is, CSA doesn't send them. Private citizens do through sponsorships.

Heres the kicker, the riders (read sponsors) even need to pay for CSA managers to join.....

Many of the kids have had to resort to crowd funding to pay for what CSA is supposed to pay for.

Edited by Patchelicious