WTF CSA?

Patchelicious

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, he is Lemmers buddy...

Thought you would have at least seen the sarcasm in my post... come now Patch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So... Who's up for a challenge?

www.cyclingsa.com/news-and-press/2018/2/23/call-for-nominations-for-the-position-of-president-of-cycling-sa

Have you seen such a letter? Is it something of a legal letter with the intent of pressing charges? Or a generic "E-toll" letter?

I would like to organize a very informal but public race, and would like to know what the CSA repercussion would be if I don't involve them at all.

They phone you/email and threaten to close your event down. They make it clear that you have to have a sanctioning certificate from CSA to get clearance from SAPS (SASREA). If you don’t have that, they will inform SAPS who will stop your event.

Another consideration is that most events cross or use a public road somewhere so you need to get municipal and/or provincial traffic involved. Again, that isn’t going to happen if you don’t go the official route and keep CSA happy. Should there be an accident involving a vehicle, you will probably lose insurance cover if you don’t follow all these steps.

CSA depending on the people in your region can be quite accommodating if you are starting out and your event is small. But as soon as it becomes a ‘race’ (timing, prize money) then they want to be involved. So don’t offer those, at least formally, just keep it in the ‘fun rider’ category and you should be OK. You can do spot prizes or lucky draws and ‘informal’ timing ???? instead... but do let CSA know what you’re up to, make sure you follow the right steps with emergency plans, traffic, marshalls etc and have your insurance in place.

Gerald!!!

I second the suggestion.

What is the CTC pay? R1mm?

Would never consider it, but thanks for the vote of confidence.

Would never consider it, but thanks for the vote of confidence.

That's the thing... not sure a lot of people would or could. The current regime are quite possibly not blameless for the current situation, but a lot of the major damage was done years ago and now without lotto funding they really are struggling to find their feet. 

Will be interesting to see how these next few weeks unfold - I think some transparency with regards to the running of CSA would go a long way in garnering some trust back from the cycling public.

Let's hope the powers that be are listening

You mean Double Century...that race where entire teams do it on their MTBs?!

Come now, that must have been a fun discussion!

I've lost my **** twice with CSA in the past year.

Next was the DC. Our mixed team had some riders on bikes with disc brakes. Someone moaned and took a photo. CSA officials disqualified the team. 

You mean Double Century...that race where entire teams do it on their MTBs?!

Come now, that must have been a fun discussion!

Yeah - imagine my state of mind after k@kking off for 200kms, having to have that discussion. The reply was that if you were a racing team then you can't have discs. 

But EVERYBODY is racing something, whether it is your overweight neighbour, the local club knob, or the cut off. What exactly is "racing"?

Yeah - imagine my state of mind after k@kking off for 200kms, having to have that discussion. The reply was that if you were a racing team then you can't have discs.

But EVERYBODY is racing something, whether it is your overweight neighbour, the local club knob, or the cut off. What exactly is "racing"?

Those are/were the UCI rules not CSA.

If they didn't apply those rules, I can guarantee you that somebody would have complained that they don't apply the rules correctly.

Racing is a licensed team/rider challenging for a position.

If they were fun riders with CSA membership, riding to finish or win a bet, then you H

have an argument

Edited by Eugene

Those are/were the UCI rules not CSA.

If they didn't apply those rules, I can guarantee you that somebody would have complained that they don't apply the rules correctly

Read my earlier post - in the end they couldn't apply the rules, as DC is not a sanctioned race, and UCI rules only apply to pro racers. Not us silly weekend warriors.

The point being - they didn't know the rules.

I did the bike leg at Xterra this weekend, and if you thought CSA commissars were bad, you should meet the Triathlon SA commissars (to be far, not all of them, just one or two).

Firstly, with more than an hour to go before the start of the team event, we get told that the transition area is closed. Nothing is announced over the loud speakers, and when I ask, I get told that I should know that the transition area closes 15 minutes before the start of the race. I'm a cyclist - I clearly do not know this, and I am only starting in an hour's time. I wasn't the only late one - there were about 30 of us non-knowing MTBers wanting to rack our bikes, and fortunately sanity prevailed.

We got an email from Xterra in the week saying that only the swimmer in the team needs to be body marked. In fact we got two emails stating this. Now we're waiting for our swimmers (get your mind out of the gutter, or is it just me) to make their way up the 400m transition run when the same commissar comes along and tells us that we won't be allowed to leave the transition are unless we're body marked. An hour previously, he'd checked our bikes, checked our helmets, given us the lecture that we'll be disqualified if we touch our bikes before touching our helmets etc, but with the swimmers already emerging from the water he's on another power trip.

(The was another commissar who was the complete opposite - taking his time explaining how everything worked, answering the same question over and over again with the utmost of patience, and generally just being a nice guy)

I never thought I'd say it, but I actually missed the CSA levels of incompetence. At least they are uniformly and evenly incompetent and you always know where you stand with them.