Riding around dogs off leash

lechatnoir

Interval training, boet. See dog, speed up. Great for fitness.

Except when its in front of you, then the dog just makes a duff instead of a woof when you hit it when speeding up.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Except when its in front of you, then the dog just makes a duff instead of a woof when you hit it when speeding up.

Bunnyhop training, boet. See dog, bunnyhop. Great for skillz

I often encounter dogs off lead on the greenbelt and Tokai forest. I must say most are very well behaved but you always get that one that is curious or misbehaved. Calling out or a bell a good while before coming up close behind seems to make them alot less unpredictable than blowing past, some get suprised and all sense drains from their brains.

All that being said I'm always ready to defend myself when a wayward pup starts chase whether playful or not (owners always claim it's playful but I have seen snarling and teeth a few times before they listen to the owner).

I'm a dog person myself and some dogs are very protective over owners and a bike coming close could trigger them. So for FS keep them on a lead in public places especially where there are other people, dogs, horses and bikes. If the dog I had was not on a leash the first time he met a horse I would have been in deep dwang.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Just got a dog last year.  My wife thought it would be good for the kids but apparently it's mine now.  First one. Ever. Pound special. George, bless him, has a small brain but a big heart.  All good so far. George takes me running and I reciprocate the favour with a ride.  The idea was he become a sort of trail dog.  Everybody loves a trail dog.  My work colleague has done it but he has a Vizsla and so is probably brighter than all of us combined.  

So I started taking my mutt training - always on a leash as we had some command and listening issues to sort out. Months later and he is doing a lot better than I expected. Just for the record, I do most of the ride with leash but I do take it off at two places just to let him run free a bit - and then on the leash again.  That was until I met a fellow cyclist on his training ride who had a story to tell.

Said cyclist explained to me how a dog had run in front of him.  Said cyclist fell and broke ribs and pelvis. Said cyclist sued dog owner.  Said cyclist angry as he was off the bike for months. So it got me thinking what if that had been me injured or the one being sued and out of pocket.  It was not something I had given too much thought to.  So now, George is always on a leash until we are off tar roads and we try to avoid other dogs, and people, for that matter, as much as possible.  It's just a lot simpler that way.  No mess, no fuss.

In my short time of dog ownership I've also learnt a few things.  If you own a pet it comes with responsibilities, not just towards the dog or those that share your space, but to those out there in the world too. There are quite a number of people who are nervous of dogs.  Dogs are unpredictable but people more so. Dog people are, by right, always right, all the time.  It is never the dogs fault, always yours. And lastly, most dogs do actually look like their owners.

Safe riding

post-5576-0-00785500-1498477897_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pure XTC

No doubt there's a post on HBO right now about a crazed cyclist who scared the poor pooch half to death. And a call for ALL cycling to be banned.

Duane, it was on Rocket Road (Sandy Bay), but not seen anything.

Am ordering pepper spray today. Note to self, get enough for the dog and the owner. Better get the old GoPro sorted too

Some might not agree with it as it's inhumane bla bla, but my dogs were trained by a shock collar. We don't believe in hitting our dogs as it teaches them to be fearful of you.

The shock collars don't hurt, but stun you. After 6 months training they are obedient AF. My sister takes our ridgeback for small runs now, on and off the leash they are well behaved.

That being said, the ridgeback is a hunting dog and I've seen her try and chase down a jackal and shudder to think what would happen if she were to chase a cyclist with even half the speed or ferocity. 

Years ago I was walking in suburbia with my then four year old daughter on my shoulders and my mixed breed brak on a leash when another dog, large also mixed breed came snarling out of an open driveway, barking and clearly intending to fight with my dog.

I remembered a trainer once telling me to shout "No" at the top of my voice.

I did just that - full blast, a single bellowed "NNNOOO" at massive decibels that left my throat sore for a few days afterwards.

The dog didn't break stride, just turned around and running as fast as he came out, ran back inside his driveway and kept on going out of sight.

"Why did you shout Dad?"

This is the thing: a lot of people (myself also included) often feel "entitled" out of learning when growing up, past behaviours and just bad habits. It is only when we really think about it from an objective point of view that we might find the rub in matters.

So generally, as a dog lover (but not owner at present), i would also assume it is ok to run/ride with my dog off leash. No doubt dogs love that too. But as previous poster notes, the ownership comes with responsibilities to others.

Our choices impact others - or have the potential to. The only thing we really have complete control over is ourselves (although some might rightly argue this fact).

So, I consider it correct, fair and decent protocol to run/walk/ride your dog on a leash. You cannot guarantee their behaviour. Ever. No matter how well trained they are.

It could always jump out in front of a car, bike or runner....or do anything else you would never expect - even though it has never done that before.

love this thread ..

when its cyclists against dog walkers then all the cyclists are "yeah f*ck the dog walkers shoot them etc"

but when it motorists against cyclists then all the cyclists are "what how dare the motorists threaten me etc etc "

SHARE the earth people - some dog owners are muppets so are some motorists and apparently so are some cyclists (just avoid and move on )

Same as when I ride on the road if no one is around I skip red lights, ride 3 abreast and ride on the N2. Just wanna have some fun.

You are welcome to have all the fun you like if you consider that fun. I just really hope I never have to see a thread where you did something like that and got hit by a car, I like your witty comments on here so look both ways before you do.

love this thread ..

when its cyclists against dog walkers then all the cyclists are "yeah f*ck the dog walkers shoot them etc"

but when it motorists against cyclists then all the cyclists are "what how dare the motorists threaten me etc etc "

SHARE the earth people - some dog owners are muppets so are some motorists and apparently so are some cyclists (just avoid and move on )

Yes because it's so easy to share the earth with something attacking you.

Solid advice

OP asked what to do with dogs off their leashes and when they endanger you in any way.

You are welcome to have all the fun you like if you consider that fun. I just really hope I never have to see a thread where you did something like that and got hit by a car, I like your witty comments on here so look both ways before you do.

PML

Public spaces, dogs on leash. I've got 4 small children and avoid taking them for forest walks etc in fear of my toddlers being mauled by a dog. Now I can't enjoy the outdoors with my kids because of unleashed dogs, that's plain ***.but I have to do it cos I'm gatvol of the "my dog is child friendly" comments. That doesn't matter when your child is mauled.And I love dogs, however they still animals and will have a degree of unpredictability. 1000's of kids get mauled annually.It is simple, keep it on the leash.yes they need space, and that is precisely why I don't own one. I don't have sufficient space for them nor the time to give them the love and care they deserve. They come with huge responsibility

Edited by Oufy MTB (Roadie)

Public spaces, dogs on leash. I've got 4 small children and avoid taking them for forest walks etc in fear of my toddlers being mauled by a dog. Now I can't enjoy the outdoors with my kids because of unleashed dogs, that's plain ***.but I have to do it cos I'm gatvol of the "my dog is child friendly" comments. That doesn't matter when your child is mauled.And I love dogs, however they still animals and will have a degree of unpredictability. 1000's of kids get mauled annually.It is simple, keep it on the leash.yes they need space, and that is precisely why I don't own one. I don't have sufficient space for them nor the time to give them the love and care they deserve. They come with huge responsibility

Cape Town Animal bylaw clearly states all dogs MUST be on a leash in public spaces unless that public space is Council-designated as free-running. But ppl like to overrate themselves as "fully in-tune" with their dogs (they also want to enjoy the outdoors. lolwut). So if something goes wrong, its' never the animal or them, it's the other person doing something the dog determined to be a threatening, or some such utter BS.

Edited by Capricorn