2018 S-Works Epic FSR ???

spy

So seems like this is the new 2018 S-works Epic FSR.

Interesting that the FSR has been replaced with Single Pivot Design....Flex like Scalpel / Spark.

The Horst link has been the hallmark of the FSR suspension forever. It keeps the suspension active and neutralizes the effect of pedaling force and applying the rear brakes on the suspension.

No SWAT  ??

Wonder what the Head angle will be and more importantly the Fork Offset .........

post-24949-0-07254800-1498716611_thumb.jpgpost-24949-0-57854000-1498716682_thumb.jpgpost-24949-0-18351900-1498716696_thumb.jpgpost-24949-0-45720500-1498716705_thumb.jpg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So seems like this is the new 2018 S-works Epic FSR.

Interesting that the FSR has been replaced with Single Pivot Design....Flex like Scalpel / Spark.

The Horst link has been the hallmark of the FSR suspension forever. It keeps the suspension active and neutralizes the effect of pedaling force and applying the rear brakes on the suspension.

No SWAT  ??

Wonder what the Head angle will be and more importantly the Fork Offset .........

attachicon.gif1.jpgattachicon.gif3.jpgattachicon.gif2.jpgattachicon.gif4.jpg

The swat box adds about 200 g to the frame weight on the stumpy - suppose they cater for xco weight weenies firstly.

Head angle looks to be 69.5deg.

Hmmmm... not sure what to make of that. Seeking stiffness gains? Pedaling efficiency at the expense of technical prowess and suspension performance? Mind you, it's the way all the top end XC whips are going now. Solid rear tri with flex properties and a single pivot linkage-driven suspension design. 

Would be interesting to see how the marketing DEPT is going to spin how single Pivot is NOW better than the FSR ..... I personally think they dropped it for the weight to compete with Scott and Cannondale .

I don't for one second think they'll apply the same standard to the rest of the lineup, much like Scott hasn't for their new Genius. 

It makes sense from a stiffness and pedal efficiency perspective. Not a suspension efficiency perspective. 

So the summary I have from scouting the international forums yesterday:

1. Head Angle is slackened to 69.5 degrees

2. Longer top tube with shorter stem

3. Single pivot design. Droping the Horst link saved something like 300gr

4. Threaded BB instead of Pressfit

5. The seatpost is 31.6 instead of 27.2

6. The Carbon models have Carbon Swing Arms

7. No more WC and Marathon versions. They are only making one frame geometry

8. Fork offset is 42mm which apparantly creates an issue with Fox Stepcast. 

9. The new bike is noticeably slimmer than the previous version. Look at the chainstays etc. I have also heard that the top tube has been trimmed and can not take the multitool in the frame as with the previous version.

10. They have redesigned and repositioned the brain.

That red and gold one is the bike of Simon Andreasson for this weekends world cup...

Thats all I know

Edited by Rudi Pollard

you guys talk pivots etc...looks exactly the same to me

used to be a pivot on the chainstay just in front of the dropout / axle. Now that's been removed (witness teh stiffness, yo) and there has been some adjustment of the seat stays to allow for flexion. 

8. Fork offset is 42mm which apparantly creares an issue with Fox Stepcast. 

9. The new bike is noticeably slimmer than the previous version. Look at the chainstays etc. I have also heard that the top tube has been trimmed and can not take the multitool in the frame as with the previous version.

That red and gold one is the bike of Simon Andreasson for this weekends world cup...

Thats all I know

Bold things IMO are great. 

300g for Horst?! Hmmmmmm.... maybe with lead bearings. Unless they're counting the consequential weight loss in that stat, which is IMO a bit disingenuous as they'd have changed the carbon layup and design to achieve a lighter frame. And the dropped alu swingarm must count for a lot of that. 

So ja. 300g = Horst. And carbon swingarm. And redesigned layup. And lighter materials. All thanks to Horst? Maybe. Causality... 

8. Fork offset is 42mm which apparantly creares an issue with Fox Stepcast. 

Thats all I know

Sounds like thats all there is to know.