Tubeless Tape Width for AM Wide Lightning

TheJ

I recently bought a (used) bike with AM Classic Wide Lightning wheels on. I need to redo the tubeless as I strip the bike down to clean it. I'm due for a new roll of tubeless tape.

wide_lightning_rim.jpg

The tubeless tape comes in the following widths...

22, 24, 28 and 33mm.

You'd think that 28mm will probably be the best fit for the 29.3 inner width, but wouldn't 33mm be better so that it can be stuck to the rim to follow the contour and snug up against the inside of the bead seat?

What thinks hub land?

I recently bought a (used) bike with AM Classic Wide Lightning wheels on. I need to redo the tubeless as I strip the bike down to clean it. I'm due for a new roll of tubeless tape.

wide_lightning_rim.jpg

22, 24, 28 and 33mm.

You'd think that 28mm will probably be the best fit for the 29.3 inner width, but wouldn't 33mm be better so that it can be stuck to the rim to follow the contour and snug up against the inside of the bead seat?

What thinks hub land?

No. You don't want it in the beads unless the tyre is a floppy mess. 24mm will be fine. 

No. You don't want it in the beads unless the tyre is a floppy mess. 24mm will be fine. 

Not even 28mm? :huh:

Not even 28mm? :huh:

You are only really trying to seal spoke holes with the tape so either the 24 or 28 will do the job just fine.

wide_lightning_rim.jpg

22, 24, 28 and 33mm.

What thinks hub land?

roll of Gorilla Tape cut to fit the rim int. width = happy solution

Gorilla tape perfect as it come in a 25mm.

and if the Trek Racing Team can rock Gorilla Tape at the DHI level it should be good enough for us too :P

p5pb14884942.jpg

Gorilla tape FTW and only R80 at Builders Warehouse.

and we all know builders is not cheap either :P

BTW...that tape is acting as a glove repair at the moment and has also lasted a season on a rain jacket repair ... including numerous washes it still sticks and does what it says on the box ... glorious stuff!

Gorilla tape FTW and only R80 at Builders Warehouse.

That's where I get mine from after getting burnt at my LBS for R190.

That's where I get mine from after getting burnt at my LBS for R190.

the exact same thing or some other brand of "tubeless conversion specific tape"?

the exact same thing or some other brand of "tubeless conversion specific tape"?

Exact same thing. No difference. Walked into Builders Warehouse and saw the tape on the shelf. Bowled over when I saw the price.Bought two rolls just because I can. LOL. If you go looking at Northgate, its in the isle just behind the paint counter. Kinda hidden away a bit.

So I went to Builders and got a roll of Gorilla tape for R80, the 25mm version, as above.

Let it be known that over the years I've done probably hundreds of tubeless setups, different rims, different tyres, different valves (some cut from old road tubes), some requiring an oldschool Stans rubber rimstrip, others just tubeless tape and a valve.

This b1tch here has be at my wits end. I've redone this thing now 5 times. I took the old tape out and made sure the rim was super clean on the inside, then applied the Gorilla tape properly covering all the spoke holes. I gave the tape about a 2" overlap at the valve on either side.

No matter what I do, it keeps on leaking air at the valve now, right where the valve comes out of the rim. AM Classics have a curved "washer" that comes on the outside of the rim. The air is coming out from below that. I've even tried a different valve.

valves.jpg

I did happen to find a brand new roll of AM Classic tubeless tape in my spares cupboard (forgot about it), and I'm at the point of ripping the Gorilla tape out and trying the AM Classic tape.

So is it leaking at the valve, or somewhere else along the rim and the valve is the easiest place for it to escape?

All this being said, this wheel was leaking air with the previous tubeless setup as well... roughly at the same rate so I'm thinking this problem is not just with this current tubeless setup.

Dunno what else to try.

Archived