Why do 2nd hand road bikes seem like such fantastic value?

Andrew Barkley

Maybe I'm about to get schooled here but to my ignorant eyes it would appear at face value that one could purchase a second hand road bike for around 7k that has Ultegra components and isn't a hell of a lot heavier than new bikes fetching serious money. Yes it will have an aluminium frame and the parts will be dated but the purchaser at the lower price point will not be pro level and will also not be left behind by blokes who are at similar fitness levels on pricey rigs. I have seen it myself however anecdotally. In addition, These bikes unlike MTB's haven't been thundering through rock gardens and are usually in fantastic condition.

Are they worthwhile or is there a huge pitfall that escapes me?

Nope they are worthwhile

Just bear in mind that the road scene in SA is small compared with the MTB scene due to obvious traffic reasons so the amount of people wanting a bike that can just be ridden on the road is not vast,

Yes. You can get a good 2nd hand roadie for under 10k. But you can get brand new Giant Contend for R8900. That's where I would go with my cash.

Yes it's ONLY 8 speed but my fiance has a Giant SCR which is pretty much the 2015 version of that bike and it's a GREAT ride. Road isn't like MTB where there's a vast difference between high & low end bikes. The differences are much smaller.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Second hand road bikes are serious value for money, but you do need to keep an eye out. Whilst it is very easy to bag a bargain, its just as easy to get burnt by some unscrupulous douche canoe.

Just stay vigilant and trust your gut. If the seller seems 'off' in some way, you're probably not wrong.

Second hand road bikes are such good value because nobody buys them anymore. Supply and demand.

Well fanbloodytastic then! :drool:

Second hand road bikes are serious value for money, but you do need to keep an eye out. Whilst it is very easy to bag a bargain, its just as easy to get burnt by some unscrupulous douche canoe.

Just stay vigilant and trust your gut. If the seller seems 'off' in some way, you're probably not wrong.

"Douche canoe" - never heard that one before - think I may have to start using it!

"Douche canoe" - never heard that one before - think I may have to start using it!

Why would you want to use a douche canoe ? Get a fiberglass one instead.

I buy and sell bikes but stay away from road bikes...specifically frames for a steal.Had far to many comebacks with cracks in the fork or frame.

You also need to compare apples with apples.You can't compare bike prices where you have a bike with 2006 9 speed Ultegra to one with 2011 11 speed Ultegra.

Edited by gummibear

Maybe I'm about to get schooled here but to my ignorant eyes it would appear at face value that one could purchase a second hand road bike for around 7k that has Ultegra components and isn't a hell of a lot heavier than new bikes fetching serious money. Yes it will have an aluminium frame and the parts will be dated but the purchaser at the lower price point will not be pro level and will also not be left behind by blokes who are at similar fitness levels on pricey rigs. I have seen it myself however anecdotally. In addition, These bikes unlike MTB's haven't been thundering through rock gardens and are usually in fantastic condition.

Are they worthwhile or is there a huge pitfall that escapes me?

It depends on what you are going to use it for - if you are going to race hundreds of kms, obviously the newer bikes are probably lighter, faster, more comfortable, efficient etc etc.

But I needed a road bike to cross train for the Epic and to do more rides with mates. Found a very light alu bike with a carbon fork and Shimano 105 9 speed for 4k. The saddle, wheels and tires were rubbish, so I bought a reasonable set of new light wheels, 25cc tires and a saddle off CRC for R4000. For 8k I have a great light, comfortable bike that is really reliable.

Once you fit, it passes Sworks, Bianchi, Pinnerelos, just like any other bike.

I buy and sell bikes but stay away from road bikes...specifically frames for a steal.Had far to many comebacks with cracks in the fork or frame.

You also need to compare apples with apples.You can't compare bike prices where you have a bike with 2006 9 speed Ultegra to one with 2011 11 speed Ultegra.

Oh for sure but these things are all relative, Ultegra regardless of the year will never be total rubbish unless you've become accustomed to really slick new kit in which case you wouldn't entertain a 10 year old bike to begin with. I'm just glad that I haven't been spoilt and can still enjoy low tier equipment.

Bought a Specialized Tarmac (Carbon Frame) with Dura Ace Groupset and Easton Wheels from a Specialized shop last year for R10k.

BEST.PURCHASE.EVER!

But:

1.I got a professional bikefit beforehand and checked the bike dimensions beforehand to ensure it is adjustable to fit my body.

2.Bought it from a store to have more of a recourse incase something was fishy.

3.I was constantly browsing Bikehub for about 5 months before the right deal popped up and I sealed it within 5minutes of the add being posted by calling the advertiser and paying a deposit ASAP.

Be patient, but be ready to pounce when the right deal comes along.

Bought a Specialized Tarmac (Carbon Frame) with Dura Ace Groupset and Easton Wheels from a Specialized shop last year for R10k.

BEST.PURCHASE.EVER!

But:

1.I got a professional bikefit beforehand and checked the bike dimensions beforehand to ensure it is adjustable to fit my body.

2.Bought it from a store to have more of a recourse incase something was fishy.

3.I was constantly browsing Bikehub for about 5 months before the right deal popped up and I sealed it within 5minutes of the add being posted by calling the advertiser and paying a deposit ASAP.

Be patient, but be ready to pounce when the right deal comes along.

I'm so in this boat right now, but d@mn thats a sweet deal you scored. :thumbup: