Could tandem mtb save my Trans Bavians?

NixM

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO not worth the risk.

You are taking a big risk (which you obviously know) for what will be a very uncomfortable, unenjoyable, gravel grinding experience looking at your partners backside for 230km. On top of that the descents will be sketchy at best, ascents will be slow because you won't be able to stand or get proper leverage on the bars. 

All of us take risks because we love being on the bike, but why take the risk when you will probably not even enjoy the ride at all? Rather rest, recover, and take it on next year. You can keep 90% of your fitness on an indoor trainer whilst recovering.

And it's going to hurt like hell... I fell day 2 last year's S2C, hurt my left wrist (not broken or anything serious).

I finished, but it still bothers me more than year later when I ride now - doc says I shouldn't have carried on...

Speedy recovery !

Know a lady that broke her wrist, MTB accident.

next year she and her husband won the Transbaviaans partners race.

She is now training for 2018 Ironman (or is than Ironwoman) ....

Real bummer to miss this event, but surely not the end of your MTB days.

Hyperbaric Treatment should heal you up in time....... oh wait you are a Doctor and not supposed to believe in this. 

Just go ride. Busted my wrist 2 weeks before S2C. Got a brace with metal suppport from the elbow to the palm of the hand. Yes it took a year to fully recover but would have anyway,  I think??, Couldnt stand so had to adapt. It's all possible!! TB not technical, i would say give it shot.

I am never one for being sensible when it comes to competing when injured but why risk your livlihood for a race. A doctor with buggered wrist does not make sense.

?????? not like their handwriting can get anyworse ????

I am never one for being sensible when it comes to competing when injured but why risk your livlihood for a race. A doctor with buggered wrist does not make sense.

+1 Rest, recover, give your body a fighting chance to heal and come back hungry... unless you're going for a win and prize money... then suck it up cupcake and race

?????? not like their handwriting can get anyworse ????

True

It's their dexterity during surgery that I would be more worried about

True

It's their dexterity during surgery that I would be more worried about

I don't think Nix's patients have to worry about her dexterity.  :thumbup:

I understand what you're feeling. It's not as much the race as there'll be another one next year, but the feeling of being really fit after training so hard and now it feels as if it's all been for nothing.

If it was me, I would shift my goal by a few weeks. Think about something like Trans Karoo that's a month after Baviaans. It gives you a few extra weeks to recover and you'll still draw from your Baviaans prep fitness bank.

The problem with riding Baviaans is that the section between checkpoint 1 and 2 are heavily corrugated. That is the section that'll put the most pressure on your wrist and it's really early in the day. If you start hurting there you're going to struggle to hold onto the handlebar on all of the descents to follow. Put yourself at the foot of NeverEnder at 10 at night with a severely inflamed and sore wrist. 40 odd kms to go, a 13km drag/climb to come. It just does not sound like good place to be. 

Riding a tandem with 2 fully abled riders is hard enough. With one having a very noticeable injury it becomes exponentially harder. Remember that everythingon a tandem needs to be done in sync. You can't for instance decide to stand and pedal without your partner doing the same. For this basic change in position you will need your wrists. Standing and pedalling on a tandem is different to a normal bike. the bike can't be rocked from side to side. Its like those spinning instructors that makes you suspend above the bike with your hips completely level and still and then you need to pedal. Do this for 14 plus hours... eina!

Every climb will require you to be stable on the bike and being able to transfer your weight.

In order of difficulty, riding the baviaans, it is

1. normal bike (Easiest)

2. Rigid / gravel grinder

3. Single speed

4. Tandem

(admittedly I have no single speed experience, but have done a fair bit of gravel grinder and tandem rides).

Riding a tandem with 2 fully abled riders is hard enough. With one having a very noticeable injury it becomes exponentially harder. Remember that everythingon a tandem needs to be done in sync. You can't for instance decide to stand and pedal without your partner doing the same. For this basic change in position you will need your wrists. Standing and pedalling on a tandem is different to a normal bike. the bike can't be rocked from side to side. Its like those spinning instructors that makes you suspend above the bike with your hips completely level and still and then you need to pedal. Do this for 14 plus hours... eina!

Every climb will require you to be stable on the bike and being able to transfer your weight.

In order of difficulty, riding the baviaans, it is

1. normal bike (Easiest)

2. Rigid / gravel grinder

3. Single speed

4. Tandem

(admittedly I have no single speed experience, but have done a fair bit of gravel grinder and tandem rides).

Cool, let's do it on a Single Speed, Rigid, Gravel Grinder Tandem? I'm on the front though.