Braai etiket...

The expat cyclist

Unfortunately no pics as proof, however we made an epic potjie on Saturday!! Lamb, ever so slightly toasted on the open fire before slowly cooking (total of 5 hours from start to finish) in a red wine sauce with some dumplings on top!!

Mission for the coming weekend is a pork belly on the weber.

Any advice?

EDIT: Though I'd pop it skin side down onto the fire first, to get the skin going. Just for a little, so that the skin starts to blister. I like a REALLY crunchy crackling. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For pork belly the best advice I was given is to cut the skin off and do it separately in a hot weber/oven, splash water on the skin when its hot to get the properly crispy. After the pork belly is done put lots of chilli jam on the top and replace the crispy skin.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Edited by deanbean

For pork belly the best advice I was given is to cut the skin off and do it separately in a hot weber/oven, splash water on the skin when its hot to get the properly crispy. After the pork belly is done put lots of chilli jam on the top and replace the crispy skin.

I've started doing that recently. Well, without the chilli jam, but that sounds YUM!

When do you splash the water on the skin?

When do you splash the water on the skin?

When it's cooking, flick water onto the skin a few times. This helps it to go crispy.

When it's cooking, flick water onto the skin a few times. This helps it to go crispy.

Ahhh ok awesome thanx. Will give it a go over the weekend.

Does removing the skin shorten the cooking period? My idea is to do the meat in the weber and the skin in the oven. 

I'm curious, do you know the science behind this? Not saying the water doesn't help in the crisping process, just weird as the most successful recipes I've tried all entailed packing coarse salt onto the scored skin for a good few hours prior to cooking (and in some cases even cooking it with the salt).

Edited by Rachmaninoff

I'm curious, do you know the science behind this? Not saying the water doesn't help in the crisping process, just weird as the most successful recipes I've tried all entailed packing coarse salt onto the scored skin for a good few hours prior to cooking (and in some cases even cooking it with the salt).

I'd imagine it's the water reacting with the fat and the resulting sudden increase in temp in those areas

Like when you accidentally spill s drop of water in an oiled pan.

Does removing the skin shorten the cooking period? My idea is to do the meat in the weber and the skin in the oven.

Allows it to dehydrate faster and more evenly

I'd imagine it's the water reacting with the fat and the resulting sudden increase in temp in those areas

Like when you accidentally spill s drop of water in an oiled pan.

Yeah, I buy that reasoning. Cheers!

I have no idea, but it makes it easier to crisp the skin

No idea, my mother's recipe, and ultimately my grandmothers