• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

chippolates?

Plural? 

Makes me think of this legendary cameo. 

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/ad/adacb81f268b0172981a289c0ea4a6a95cdc8d8b7892c3657f3505aa5226da43.jpg

Tried some Jan Braai Karan Beef from FLM at R100 per kilotigram...

OH

MY 

HAT

attachicon.gif20170826_183421.jpg

This steak was simply divine. Pure bliss.

Unless you are buying it from the farmer that you know, then you won't be eating free range. It's like "organic" veggies. Don't let the packaging fool you.

Absolutely Philip, Karan is one of the biggest buyers of our weaners, ALL destined for the feedlot. They've just spent a mint on marketing. A grade beef=feedlot, with C grade you've got as better chance of grass fed. Look at the colour of the fat, white fat is from grain fed cattle,  yellow fat is the goood stuff, from grass fattened, or mostly grass fattened beef, but you wont find any now, because of the drought.

Absolutely Philip, Karan is one of the biggest buyers of our weaners, ALL destined for the feedlot. They've just spent a mint on marketing. A grade beef=feedlot, with C grade you've got as better chance of grass fed. Look at the colour of the fat, white fat is from grain fed cattle,  yellow fat is the goood stuff, from grass fattened, or mostly grass fattened beef, but you wont find any now, because of the drought.

how can one source a proper c grade supplier?

And what is the difference between A / B / C?

Sorry Captain, cant help you there. I speak to my butcher. They should be able to help you. There's a butcher in the Lakeside centre that I spoke to about 2 years back that seemed to be good. Don't know if he's still there.

A grade is young animal, less than 18months/2 years, tender but not as tasty

B grade 2-2.5 yo, less tender, more tasty

C grade older than 2.5 years, not very tender, requires hanging for at least 2 weeks, but very tasty, hanging improves the taste too.

What I do is get vacuum packed rump and keep it in my fridge for up to 2 weeks. But this can backfire.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Looks good!

http://cdn.24.co.za/files/Cms/General/d/6065/66c0c429d51c480c853bf5915b7a5686.jpg

Korean Boerie, just gooi some kimchi :drool:

Dean gave you the breakdown, here's the reality = C-grade is a cornered market dominated by the big biltong makers, you'll pain to get some, but not entirely impossible.

Try establishing a contact at the big wholesalers like Boxer or whatever your C&C's are called down there, they'll put you on call, but you'll need to race for it as every other biltong freak is racing for it.

Here's a winner; get a few mates together, go directly to source and order a 3 yr old ox which walked the paddock. Hang for 6 weeks then process. Yes, it's somewhat expensive the 6 weeks hanging bit, but you will not taste wors like that ever in your life or any other cut for that matter.

I'm salivating just thinking about the short rib :drool:  never mind the wors

Edited by Ed-Zulu

Dean gave you the breakdown, here's the reality = C-grade is a cornered market dominated by the big biltong makers, you'll pain to get some, but not entirely impossible.

Try establishing a contact at the big wholesalers like Boxer or whatever your C&C's are called down there, they'll put you on call, but you'll need to race for it as every other biltong freak is racing for it.

Here's a winner; get a few mates together, go directly to source and order a 3 yr old ox which walked the paddock. Hang for 6 weeks then process. Yes, it's somewhat expensive the 6 weeks hanging bit, but you will not taste wors like that ever in your life or any other cut for that matter.

I'm salivating just thinking about the short rib :drool: never mind the wors

I must do this next year again. If I time it right i can hang it in my shed. It's that cold here

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk