List of Mtb races with good prize money

jamiepenfold3

Send a link to your Twitter and instagram. 

Sponsors dont really care if you podium or are the last oke over the line. They want to align their brand with someone that supports their brand image. Even if you get a sponsor to cover entries, the prize money would be lekker on top. 

Most races only offer up R500 max as prize money. 

Hi thanks for the message. I dont really have a twitter account but here is a link to instagram and face book: 

https://www.facebook.com/jamie.penfold.92

https://www.facebook.com/JamiePenfoldATHLETE/

https://www.instagram.com/its_jamie_penfold/?hl=en

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to do some European racing in BeNeLux area let me know and i can give you a place to stay :thumbup:

Thanks very much I am hopefully going to race next year so I will take up the offer if I can race.

Hi everyone thank you so much for your input I really appreciate it. I am going to use everyone's advise except for the parts about stopping cycling.

Unfortunately I am not using Strava anymore as I have gotten a power meter and I dont want people to see all my numbers for obvious reasons.

I would also recommend twitter, as people can follow you, and would be another mechanism for you to give exposure to those that support you.  Think there are a few riders that have increased their profile this way

Hi everyone thank you so much for your input I really appreciate it. I am going to use everyone's advise except for the parts about stopping cycling.

Unfortunately I am not using Strava anymore as I have gotten a power meter and I dont want people to see all my numbers for obvious reasons.

You could just use Strava without a premium account. You need a premium account to be able to see power data AFAIK.

#justsaying

Jamie, just an idea...

If I were you I'd start a new thread.  In the first post, give us a run-down of your planned overseas trip with a complete itinerary.  Tell us where you'll be going, what races you'll be doing, who's going to accompany you, how long you'll be out there etc.  A lot of us never had a chance to cycle competitively in school would love to live "through" your experience.

Then give us a budget...  how much you think it will cost and how much you've managed to secure so far in the form of savings and/or sponsorships.  Then you can update the post weekly or monthly or whatever to show what progress you've been making.

Getting a full blown sponsorship will be difficult, but maybe guys on here might give you a loose buck here and there to pay for a night's accommodation or an entry fee to a race.  A friend of mine recently got married, and they used a web-based platform where they listed their complete honeymoon itinerary.  From the website you could "buy" them certain items on their "wishlist" ranging from say a lunch for R300 up to a night at a 5-star hotel for much more.  Worked really well and they ended up getting almost their entire honeymoon paid for.

I'd gladly be your first mini-sponsor and pledge you a few hundred bucks given than I can see where the money will be going and that it's a serious effort to get some international racing exposure rather than just a "fun time" overseas.

You could just use Strava without a premium account. You need a premium account to be able to see power data AFAIK.

#justsaying

Strava still shows your "estimated power" if you go to the "analyse effort" button.  The pro's do however have a way to hide these features.  I follow Greg van Avermaet on Strava, and you can only see his speed and elevation plots, no info of KOM's etc.  If you click on the "analyse effort" button, it says "no information available".

Jamie, just an idea...

If I were you I'd start a new thread.  In the first post, give us a run-down of your planned overseas trip with a complete itinerary.  Tell us where you'll be going, what races you'll be doing, who's going to accompany you, how long you'll be out there etc.  A lot of us never had a chance to cycle competitively in school would love to live "through" your experience.

Then give us a budget...  how much you think it will cost and how much you've managed to secure so far in the form of savings and/or sponsorships.  Then you can update the post weekly or monthly or whatever to show what progress you've been making.

Getting a full blown sponsorship will be difficult, but maybe guys on here might give you a loose buck here and there to pay for a night's accommodation or an entry fee to a race.  A friend of mine recently got married, and they used a web-based platform where they listed their complete honeymoon itinerary.  From the website you could "buy" them certain items on their "wishlist" ranging from say a lunch for R300 up to a night at a 5-star hotel for much more.  Worked really well and they ended up getting almost their entire honeymoon paid for.

I'd gladly be your first mini-sponsor and pledge you a few hundred bucks given than I can see where the money will be going and that it's a serious effort to get some international racing exposure rather than just a "fun time" overseas.

Thank you so much for your input I truly appreciate it I would only be able to plan an overseas trip a but closer to next year as the icu is yet to announce the category of specific races and hows events have not given out any dates yet. As soon as I get this into I will post a new thread

Eselfontein 3day stage race : R1 500 for team entry and you can win the R30 000 if you're team break the track record.Majority single track,good bike skills will be an big advantage

Eselfontein 3day stage race : R1 500 for team entry and you can win the R30 000 if you're team break the track record.Majority single track,good bike skills will be an big advantage

who currently owns the record?

Jamie, just an idea...

I am in.

That is absolute BS

Being an event organiser you should know this!

All you have to do is host a good event and Really Good prize money and your event will grow. You will attract all the pro riders you need.

However event organisers forget about the rest of the field competing for top honours in their classifications. These people also matter offer good prize money to the non professionals and your event will grow even more.

Simple concept if you think about it

Now THAT is absolute crap!!!

I use to do the W2W every year. They sell a big story about uplifting the community etc.etc.

Then they kept on saying they are sold out. Then they increase their fees. THEN they announced massive increase in prize money. They could have made more people happy by increasing their social investment. What happened next is that several of us stopped entering. Yip- real paying customers.... Reality check no 1: who is paying the winners? The rest of the field!!

Reality check no 2: Who do you think Spez wants as a customer: a boy racer that switches brand according to who pays the most (and wants his gear for free) or a fat 50y old with money to burn?

I have done hundreds of races (including European races) and I couldn't give a crap what the prize money is, or who else is racing. If it is well organized and special I will go again. Why does a race aimed at the masses need pro riders at all? Does anyone enter CTCT because Cav is there?

Simple concept if you think about it.

Staande rekord by Eselfontein MTB : Joel Schaefer,Ryan Leferna:7h20m30s.Ons is n klomp boere saam wat hierdie event reel vir n fondsinsameling vir ouetehuise en skole in die omgewing.Daar is nie een organiseerder wie betaling hiervoor kry nie.Almal wie kos ens verkoop op die naweek moet 10% van hul wins teruggee na die fonds.Waterpunte word deur borge beman waarvoor hul vir ons R2000 per punt gee om kostes te help dek.Ons probeer om 20% van die inskrywingsgeld terug te gee as pryse,50% uit te betaal na die skole en ouetehuise en 30% terug te hou vir die volgende jaar se kostes alhoewel ons ons kostes met borge probeer dek.Ons het na verlede jaar se event       R100 000 na die ouetehuise en skole gegee.Ons het 300 inskrywings gehad op die 3-dag verlede jaar. Dus n 100 kort = 50 spanne teen R1500 is R75 000 en as dit ons n ekstra R30 000 prysgeld kos om R40 000 meer wins te maak hoekom nie.Ons ry almal self mtb en doen dit vir die lekkerte van die sport en gebruik ons wat vir ons lekker is om weer terug te gee na ander.Al wat ek wil se moenie veralgemeen nie,daar is mense daar buite wat baie effort en tyd insit om goeie bekostigbare events te probeer reel vir die liefde van die sport en nie oor geld. 

Staande rekord by Eselfontein MTB : Joel Schaefer,Ryan Leferna:7h20m30s.Ons is n klomp boere saam wat hierdie event reel vir n fondsinsameling vir ouetehuise en skole in die omgewing.Daar is nie een organiseerder wie betaling hiervoor kry nie.Almal wie kos ens verkoop op die naweek moet 10% van hul wins teruggee na die fonds.Waterpunte word deur borge beman waarvoor hul vir ons R2000 per punt gee om kostes te help dek.Ons probeer om 20% van die inskrywingsgeld terug te gee as pryse,50% uit te betaal na die skole en ouetehuise en 30% terug te hou vir die volgende jaar se kostes alhoewel ons ons kostes met borge probeer dek.Ons het na verlede jaar se event       R100 000 na die ouetehuise en skole gegee.Ons het 300 inskrywings gehad op die 3-dag verlede jaar. Dus n 100 kort = 50 spanne teen R1500 is R75 000 en as dit ons n ekstra R30 000 prysgeld kos om R40 000 meer wins te maak hoekom nie.Ons ry almal self mtb en doen dit vir die lekkerte van die sport en gebruik ons wat vir ons lekker is om weer terug te gee na ander.Al wat ek wil se moenie veralgemeen nie,daar is mense daar buite wat baie effort en tyd insit om goeie bekostigbare events te probeer reel vir die liefde van die sport en nie oor geld. 

this is why year in and year out, i'd like to be at the Esel festival. hopefully not to get snotklapped again, by Ryan and Joel.

this is why year in and year out, i'd like to be at the Esel festival. hopefully not to get snotklapped again, by Ryan and Joel.

Same.. Pity this year the stage race and the Enduro fall on the same weekend, but I will be there for the weekend... again... and love every second... again!

Al wat ek wil se moenie veralgemeen nie,daar is mense daar buite wat baie effort en tyd insit om goeie bekostigbare events te probeer reel vir die liefde van die sport en nie oor geld.

Nee wat, ek dink nie julle hoef te voel julle word onder dieselfde kam geskeerde as die organisasie genoem in daai ander post nie.

Ek sien al klaar uit na daai naweek in Oktober. Kan nie wag nie.