[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2018

Pure Savage

For us fair weather cyclists the weather man has taken a turn to the worse for cycling next Sunday, but the 6mm drizzle will be a help for the western Cape. Wind also looking not so good.

Sun http://weather.news24.com/Images/Icons/Forecasts/18.gif Drizzle. Partly cloudy. Cool.  18°C 16°C 36km/h S 71% 18°C Moderate  6mm  36%

Windguru and Windy.com all reporting Southerlies with gusts up to 24 km/h, and little to no rain. Perhaps that site hasn't updated yet. 

https://www.windguru.cz/91

https://www.windy.com/

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was proper chaos on Chappies on Sunday morning. From "Teams" doing their best Tour de France impressions to the chaps and chappettes that is taking their bikes out for the first time since CTCT time 2017, people were out in droves. And a lot of bad riding / behaviour was taking place.

And then the blustery wind did not help it much.

I'm choosing to believe this one - yr.no

02:00–08:00 Fair. 17° 0 mm vindpil.0050.330.s.pngGentle breeze, 5 m/s from north-northwest 08:00–14:00 Clear sky. 18° 0 mm vindpil.0050.200.s.pngGentle breeze, 4 m/s from south-southwest 14:00–20:00 Clear sky. 22° 0 mm vindpil.0050.205.s.pngModerate breeze, 6 m/s from south-southwest 20:00–02:00 Clear sky. 18° 0 mm vindpil.0075.155.s.pngFresh breeze, 8 m/s from south-southeast

Edited by Headshot

It was proper chaos on Chappies on Sunday morning. From "Teams" doing their best Tour de France impressions to the chaps and chappettes that is taking their bikes out for the first time since CTCT time 2017, people were out in droves. And a lot of bad riding / behaviour was taking place.

And then the blustery wind did not help it much.

It gets worse on Race Day.

Einstein in 2G (2015) decides to stop deadstill on a fast downhill, on the very righthand side of the road which is meant for the faster blokes to overtake.

There he proceeded to enjoy a GU sachet of personal taste.

A high speed collision resulted which I can still see in my minds eye.

Visions of a summersault, bike in hand, onto a tarred pavement, tends to stick in ones mind. The bloke broke a hip and destroyed a very expensive bike.

Einstein seemed to be mostly unaffected with serious injury. 

So it seems I got hit with some last minutes mechanicals.

Saturday morning went out for a ride before work, all seemed fine.

That afternoon I cleaned the bike, when I went to move it I felt the rear brakes touching the rim. I thought maybe I just moved the callipers when cleaning. Closer inspection revealed a buckled rim.

Even closer inspection and I see a broken spoke.

I don't have a tool to remove the cassette, it was 16:50 so I decided to shoot out and see if any of my LBS were open. No luck.

Called my dad, we were supposed to ride Sunday morning, he says no problem, he has a tool, we'll fix the spoke quickly before riding.

Sunday morning, 10 minutes later the new spoke is in and the wheel true enough for a short ride, decided I'll true it 100% when we get back.

All through the ride I'm hearing some noises coming from the back, slight mechanical noises. I thought maybe with taking everything off and putting back together that perhaps the deraileur just needs a bit of fine tuning, I'll do that when I true the wheel.

Later that day I get down to the task of trueing the wheel and fine tune the gearing. That when I discovered a very rough and noisy rear hub.

Open it up and decide a regrease is in order. Only to be met with it still being rather rough.

So I dropped the wheel off at my LBS earlier today to get them to sort it out as I don't have time to DIY.

I hate last minute issues with the bike, but rather now than something failing on me mid race.

It gets worse on Race Day.

Einstein in 2G (2015) decides to stop deadstill on a fast downhill, on the very righthand side of the road which is meant for the faster blokes to overtake.

There he proceeded to enjoy a GU sachet of personal taste.

A high speed collision resulted which I can still see in my minds eye.

Visions of a summersault, bike in hand, onto a tarred pavement, tends to stick in ones mind. The bloke broke a hip and destroyed a very expensive bike.

Einstein seemed to be mostly unaffected with serious injury. 

Wow, if its not the cars its the idiots on bikes...

sorry to butt in here. When do the entries usually open - obviously looking at 2019. My wife has decide she wants to do this thing. Fortunately I have been excused from accompanying her.

I warned my son that most of the bunch craziness, as well as bad multi pileups happens in batches 1B - 2K. He will be starting in 1G. Luckily from bunches 3 onward it is everybody for themselves, each trying to out time trial the other riders.

Edited by Moridin

Looks like we are going to get to race this Sunday!

Any indications if the protesters with be attending this year yet?

I will wait until Thursday to wash and Mr Min my bike and shoes for race day