[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2018

Pure Savage

My worst nightmare has come true... I'm starting at the back in 7C... jeepers and my normal average speed is around 15 to 17kph

I promise you, from experience, it is much worse to start with people that are too fast for you. We all dream of catching a group that will just pull us along to effortlessly ride a magical time. Sadly, the reality is very different.

At first you hang on just fine and you wheelsuck like a pro. On Wineberg Hill things get too hot and you lose the group, but no matter, you'll just hitch a ride with the next one......now your legs are a bit tired from the attempt to stay with the first train.......you have to work to just stay in touch and they push you out and into the wind all the time.......At Smitswinkels you are on your 4th train and then you blow up for the 1st time. This is where ex smokers bum a cygarette from the bystanders. A couple of Cokes and a Bar One get you going after 20 minutes. Into the wind from Kommetjie you don't manage to find a nice group you can stay with and you time trial and slow down. On Chappies you blow up a 2nd time, now bad enough that you start thinking about the possibility of an afterlife. Now even old ladies pass you and say nice things like "vasbyt"! On Suikerbossie you start to cramp and it takes the massage guy (you didn't get a sexy girl) 30 minutes to get you untangled and riding again. At the finish line you are a ball of pain. The only thing that doesn't hurt is your bum, because that is totally numb. You swear never to do this again, ever. 

If you stuck with the right group, you probably would have had a faster ride, enjoyed the vibe and the view and not suffered at all.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I promise you, from experience, it is much worse to start with people that are too fast for you. We all dream of catching a group that will just pull us along to effortlessly ride a magical time. Sadly, the reality is very different.

At first you hang on just fine and you wheelsuck like a pro. On Wineberg Hill things get too hot and you lose the group, but no matter, you'll just hitch a ride with the next one......now your legs are a bit tired from the attempt to stay with the first train.......you have to work to just stay in touch and they push you out and into the wind all the time.......At Smitswinkels you are on your 4th train and then you blow up for the 1st time. This is where ex smokers bum a cygarette from the bystanders. A couple of Cokes and a Bar One get you going after 20 minutes. Into the wind from Kommetjie you don't manage to find a nice group you can stay with and you time trial and slow down. On Chappies you blow up a 2nd time, now bad enough that you start thinking about the possibility of an afterlife. Now even old ladies pass you and say nice things like "vasbyt"! On Suikerbossie you start to cramp and it takes the massage guy (you didn't get a sexy girl) 30 minutes to get you untangled and riding again. At the finish line you are a ball of pain. The only thing that doesn't hurt is your bum, because that is totally numb. You swear never to do this again, ever. 

If you stuck with the right group, you probably would have had a faster ride, enjoyed the vibe and the view and not suffered at all.

Sounds like my first ever elite race(I was still U23). Robbie Hunter had just signed for a new team and it was his last race in Phonak(I think?) kit. The gun went off and we charged off. For the first 10km we had an average speed of 60kph. This is where my body said I am way out of my comfort zone and got spat out the back in a bad way. Luckily I wasn't the only oke suffering from this cock fight and a small group formed. It was one of my worst races ever. My toppie did a quicker time than me in A group.

Here is a snip of the top few names. 

post-58906-0-94013400-1519905098_thumb.png

Sounds like my first ever elite race(I was still U23). Robbie Hunter had just signed for a new team and it was his last race in Phonak(I think?) kit. The gun went off and we charged off. For the first 10km we had an average speed of 60kph. This is where my body said I am way out of my comfort zone and got spat out the back in a bad way. Luckily I wasn't the only oke suffering from this cock fight and a small group formed. It was one of my worst races ever. My toppie did a quicker time than me in A group.

attachicon.gifCapture1.PNG

Sheesh! Some heavy hitters in there! Even a young Froomey!

Seeding for substitutions have been released and got my seeding this morning: 3C.

I have no active seeding, as I do not race but I did 200km with 1800m of climbing last week at an ave of over 30kph.

I am not sure if 3C is good or bad in that light.

Do I stand in the long queue and try and get reseeded ?

Sheesh! Some heavy hitters in there! Even a young Froomey!

Yeah my claim to fame :D , Raced against those okes for a few races. But I never lasted long in the elite field. Raced for like a year and then went back to alphabet soup till I turned 30 and got a racing license again. I got dropped EVERY race. Never enjoyed it.

Update on weather - not the best news but still 10 days for the weather person to change their mind. Not really enough rain to even water the garden but enough for slippery roads.

Sun, Mar 11 http://weather.news24.com/Images/Icons/Forecasts/18.gif Drizzle. Clearing skies. Warm.  29°C 16°C 34km/h NW 82% 36°C Low  2mm  41%

Yes

Seeding for substitutions have been released and got my seeding this morning: 3C.

I have no active seeding, as I do not race but I did 200km with 1800m of climbing last week at an ave of over 30kph.

I am not sure if 3C is good or bad in that light.

Do I stand in the long queue and try and get reseeded ?

attachicon.gifCapture1.PNG

Dropped by an asthmatic?? :ph34r:

Edited by TIB

Dropped by an asthmatic?? :ph34r:

A few times. The way I was breathing I felt like an asthmatic. But I never took anything for it, maybe that's the reason I was dropped?

A few times. The way I was breathing I felt like an asthmatic. But I never took anything for it, maybe that's the reason I was dropped?

I always carry my inhaler, Salbutamol et al! One never knows when one might be short of breath..

Fire south of Hout Bay. Looks to be Noordhoek. Que the prophets of doom in 3....2....1....

Fire south of Hout Bay. Looks to be Noordhoek. Que the prophets of doom in 3....2....1....

IN THE WIND ! ON THE DAY I HAVE TO BE HOME !!!