[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2018

Pure Savage

Entries are definitely down, not sure about 7,000 but that figure might be ballpark. That is to be expected given the cancellation last year, only reasonable that many people will wait and see before committing their hard earned money to an event that might not happen.

I would be REALLY curious on how many crossed the first mat on the day, to get an idea of the drop-off rate (of course taking into account those that did the double).  As I suspect that a number did not pitch up on the day (are aware of a few of those), those that did not make the cut-offs and the mechanical preventing them from completing.  Paired with the fact that racetec ONLY shows those that did it within the 7 hours, so even if you finished, but your time was less than 7 it won't display

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be REALLY curious on how many crossed the first mat on the day, to get an idea of the drop-off rate (of course taking into account those that did the double).  As I suspect that a number did not pitch up on the day (are aware of a few of those), those that did not make the cut-offs and the mechanical preventing them from completing.  Paired with the fact that racetec ONLY shows those that did it within the 7 hours, so even if you finished, but your time was less than 7 it won't display

If you compare the racetec numbers with 2014 it is about 5K down so 7K might be correct?

The one staff member I spoke to said it is standard for 10% of people to pick up their numbers but not ride on the day, this year was closer to 5% - good weather & people are keen to ride again after missing out last year?

This!!

And if it weren't for the 33 000 odd once-a-year-wonders there would be no chance of having this route closed for a bunch of 200 to race.

So rather than criticize, appreciate the numbers that make up the race's involvement in having the race.

I personally feel much more comfortable riding enduro / playful singletrack than sitting close to roadies. I'm a weekend warrior and only do it because I enjoy cycling.

The first point is particularly valid - it's the once a year cyclists that make this event. The race snakes and sub three wannabees are probably more effort than they're worth.

But...

The only thing less safe than bunch of roadies in a road ride is a bunch of mountain bikers in the bunch thinking they can be roadies because they once saw Chris Froome caressing his top tube with his crotch (I kid you not - middle of the bunch down hospital bend and there's a guy getting all aero. He almost missed the bend and ended up on the N2 to Somerset West...)

The only thing less safe than bunch of roadies in a road ride is a bunch of mountain bikers in the bunch thinking they can be roadies because they once saw Chris Froome caressing his top tube with his crotch (I kid you not - middle of the bunch down hospital bend and there's a guy getting all aero. He almost missed the bend and ended up on the N2 to Somerset West...)

See this often in "funrides" .. right in middle of pack going full vroom .. Maybe I'm wrong thinking that sucking wheel behind 20 others have same effect?

My question is, why aren't they? The middle-class, that can also afford nice bikes, cars, the entry fees and accommodation - technically nothing should be stopping them, so why aren't there thousands more riders?

It is happening, where I am, but slowly. We do a short bike tour of town for new students in orientation week and many if not most are black. But we also have many asking how they can learn to ride a bike as they’ve never had the opportunity. It’s worse amongst adults.

But it is happening although I have to agree with Slowbee that MUCH more needs to be done to encourage more people to take up cycling and enter events. Clubs often come across as pretty exclusive if not elitist, even when they aren’t.

Edited by gogo@

Ok it seems I have offended some people with some of my comments here.

I am not saying everyone has to be a racing snake. I am not saying Enduro/MTBers are not allowed to ride the CTCT. I am not saying that only people who smash sub 3s are allowed to do this race. The CTCT is not just some local race, it's massive. And I completely understand the appeal.

What I am saying is this: Everyone has been complaining about the safety in the middle and back bunches. And with good reason! Two people lots their lives because of it on Sunday. So why is it that people in the middle and back bunches are all of a sudden pro and try to win the race from there, with a complete disregard for anyones safety? That's my point. That's why I keep saying that if you want to race, do the other races in preparation. If you get seeded in a racing bunch, then you are allowed to race. It's in the name, after all. The rest of the bunches are funride bunches. If you still feel you want to smash your PB, then by all means. That is more than fair. But don't ride like a box and put other people in danger. Accidents happen, I get it, but a lot of accidents can be prevented if everyone just took a second to consider the consequences.

Just be safe out there. Don't do something silly that you might regret for the rest of your life, just because you wanted to stroke your ego.

The first point is particularly valid - it's the once a year cyclists that make this event. The race snakes and sub three wannabees are probably more effort than they're worth.

But...

Exactly. That's just stupid and has absolutely no benefit to speed or safety. Just makes you look like a box and puts everyone at risk. Just be safe. Don't show off.

The only thing less safe than bunch of roadies in a road ride is a bunch of mountain bikers in the bunch thinking they can be roadies because they once saw Chris Froome caressing his top tube with his crotch (I kid you not - middle of the bunch down hospital bend and there's a guy getting all aero. 

No, I am more impressed by the guy sitting in the bunch along the blue route, showing everybody how he can ride without his hands on the bars. Lekker upright, drinking from his bottle.

I am sure there are some who can do that safely, just not sure what he is doing in 2E.

I would like to touch on a very sensitive subject regarding the ride surviving, actually all cycle rides surviving in general.

But the tour also needs to focus on getting more, may more black folk involved as fun riders.

While there are many initiatives for development riders, we need more.And not just for younger riders. Adults need to be encouraged as well.

A million time yes, Slowbee. :thumbup:  

And if it weren't for the 33 000 odd once-a-year-wonders there would be no chance of having this route closed for a bunch of 200 to race.

:thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

For me especially relevant to the second lappers and wannabe pros without seedings at the back of the field chasing some sub-whatever making annoying arses of themselves.

By all means chase your time but consider that 99% of those around you don't share your goals & "abilities" and are only there to have fun and if you have to swear and scream for space to ride and having one near-miss after the other you are the one missing the point..

Not sure where you get that they were 7000 down on entries this year? If you taking the finishers on racetec, just remember that not everyone start; and not everyone finishes, this has a influence on that final figure, doesn't however mean that 7000 people didn't enter.

The 7000 figure was given to me by the ex chairman of PPA on day 1 of number collection.

I know of a few people who were still allowed to enter post that date and substitution were still been allowed on that weekend.

One may find that the drop off rate was not that bad this year and most entries started. The number of out of towner entering was where the drop in entries was felt. Thus the No show shows on the day was probably a lot lower than normal considering the weather on the day.

Another stat which would be nice to know is how many people entered but did not collect numbers / have substitutions.

I would like to touch on a very sensitive subject regarding the ride surviving, actually all cycle rides surviving in general.

But the tour also needs to focus on getting more, may more black folk involved as fun riders.

While there are many initiatives for development riders, we need more.And not just for younger riders. Adults need to be encouraged as well.

You might have to qualify what you mean by "black".  If its non-white then there are major % of blacks riding.  If its apartheid era  black, then you might be right , there not so many.

The number of out of towner entering was where the drop in entries was felt. 

I think that this is an accurate observation.

Not one of my regular cycling circle of friends/acquaintances  went down this year whereas there would usually have been 5 or 6 of them.

Reasons differ from, "too expensive a weekend and cannot justify it in the present economic situation", "not keen on being dirty for a whole weekend" or "maybe we should not put pressure on the water situation, there is always a next time".

Mostly however, the first. It is a very expensive exercise and times are tough. Very tough for many.

Edited by eddy

Entries are definitely down, not sure about 7,000 but that figure might be ballpark. That is to be expected given the cancellation last year, only reasonable that many people will wait and see before committing their hard earned money to an event that might not happen.

Which is why it was extremely important for this year's event to be a success, another cancelled event would have been hard to recover from for the CTCT.

Not sure who these "many people" are that lcycling surrounds himself with, but their negative views on the CTCT are very different from what l see on the hub and cyclists I know.

+1

There was, of course, the HUGE issue of the Western Cape water crisis and the severe restrictions currently in operation in Cape Town in particular.

Lost count of the number of people who told me that they "thought' the CTCT has already been cancelled this year because of it.

"Where did you hear that"? I asked in surprise/shock.

"On the news/radio/newspapers" was the general reply, with the explanation that the City of Cape Town didn't want to be seen (politically) 'wasting' millions of litres of precious water on a bunch of elitist/middle class/predominantly white cyclists !!

Okay, so most of us know that this is complete bollocks, but the point is that this sort of 'fake news' and negative publicity undoubtedly deterred a number of people from entering.

And when you consider the planning and expense involved in getting here for so many up country riders, its perhaps not so surprising that by the time that bollocks was exposed it was simply too late for hundreds of otherwise committed riders to participate !

But given the enormously positive vibe on this thread over the past few days - I'm sure they'll be back - and they'll be enormously welcome too.

Here's to a record-breaking, and above all safe, CTCT 2019  !

Edited by 3wings

My wife and I had a great ride and experience, memories made that we will talk about for a long time. It was her first CTCT and after the disappointment of not being able to ride last year the awesome weather made up for it! We are primarily mountain bikers(she said to me that 'Ek sal nie regkom op daai dun wieletjies nie' so we started together in 6E and had great fun, stopping for pics along the way wherever we could.

The vibe along the route was great and we thanked all the supporters taking time out and making the effort in cheering us along, also thanking the marshals and people manning the water points whenever we could.

I must agree with what a lot of people said, you have to be vigilant in the back bunches and always try and think what the person in front and to the side of you might do. We decided to pass some people on the gravel on Smits for example as there was just too much swaying and sudden stopping going on.

Biggest scare was when one of the Virgin Angels gave her a push on Suikerbossie for a couple of metres and promptly decided to run into me when he was tired, riding to the right and a bit behind them. I ended up giving him a lift on my bars for a couple of metres trying to keep the bike upright. Luckily managed to come to a standstill without falling.

We had a great day out and came in under six hours(my 'podium' expectation before the event). Awesome day out cruising the peninsula, you guys in the Western Cape are spoilt! Much better scenery than Bloem that is for sure :D