SunTour Custom Confusion

Rachmaninoff

Hi guys

I recently bought a (little less than) grand old dame in the shape of a Peugeot Prestige Le Mans as I've always wanted a steel frame.

The components seem to be SunTour Custom, but try as I may, I can't find any info about it online. I stumbled across what seems to be a definitive list of SunTour components (rear derailleurs at least) here but no luck.

Has anyone a bit of knowledge about these components / where it falls in their hierarchy / whether it's worth a service and keeping or if it should rather be ditched for something else?

Thanks in advance!

the crank arm is marked Custom ?

or any of the actual components like brake calipers ?

seems more likely you will find the groupset markers on components like brakes and derailleurs

the crank is probably a Sakae Custom and the rest is suntour

the crank arm is marked Custom ?

or any of the actual components like brake calipers ?

seems more likely you will find the groupset markers on components like brakes and derailleurs

the crank is probably a Sakae Custom and the rest is suntour

Yup, just on the crank. The derailleur marking was a bit faded/rubbed but made out Accushift 2000.

Thanks a heap!

The only Suntour gruppo in the 80's that I can remember was the Suntour Superb Pro.  I rode one.  Classy components!!

I had a Peugeot Mirage in the 90's with Suntour Blaze groupset. Everything worked really well. I Upgraded from 6-speed to Shimano 7-speed after a while and went Shimano 500EX for the downtube shifters and RD when my school mate upgraded his Cannondale to STI's.

Ah, the memories.Enjoy the Peugeot! Let me know if you need any period-correct parts - I have a few lying about....

I had a Peugeot Mirage in the 90's with Suntour Blaze groupset. Everything worked really well. I Upgraded from 6-speed to Shimano 7-speed after a while and went Shimano 500EX for the downtube shifters and RD when my school mate upgraded his Cannondale to STI's.

Ah, the memories.Enjoy the Peugeot! Let me know if you need any period-correct parts - I have a few lying about....

Yeah, I'm really excited to get this one back on the road. Thanks! The brake callipers are shot and the wheels aren't great, so I think, for now, those are the only things that need a bit of attention. 

The only Suntour gruppo in the 80's that I can remember was the Suntour Superb Pro.  I rode one.  Classy components!!

Ya, everything I've read re the Superbe Pro was very positive. Doubt they'd be easy to get a hold of these days...

• 3 years later...

Great to hear about the BLAZE group set.   In the process of restoring a mid 80's Peugeot Monaco with full BLAZE group set.  Not much info on it out there...

Chances are your crank is not Suntour but Sakae Custom as mentioned earlier. The rest of the group-set however may well be Suntour. The Le Mans often used Suntour 7 components and most were equipped with Stronglight cranks but it might have been swapped out at some stage.

Post some close up photos of the parts and we can try and assist further :thumbup:

it could be Suntour alpha 5000 derailleurs. The brake calipers and levers more than likely diacompe. Crank is as mentioned before Custom/sakae. More pics will help.