Commuting using main roads and Exhausts

Harinosho

Hi. Would suggest getting a buff. I commute to work. 8km is gravel other 8km tar. On the dirt road I often have bakkies race past and the buff really helps with the dust. Also helps with the worst of the fumes. Edit spelling.

Edited by wildwindfr

I used to use a buff when cycling home over Kloof Nek in bumper to bumper traffic, while everybody was exercising clutch control.

I found that wetting it first and folding it double helped. 

There was a study done a few years back, cant find it now... 

You inhale 2x as many fumes sitting in a car in traffic than you do walking or riding between cars... 

You'll be fine. 

Some controversial topics always seem to come up on Fridays, grab some popcorn and enjoy the show haha

Or if you feel frustrated and irrate. Just pop in here on a Friday and hop onto those threads and make some controversial comment (or sometimes purely factual comments get the same effect), grap your handbag and start swinging it around.  The rest of us will be eathing the popcorn and spectate.

Edited by Bateleur1

Back on topic....I commute 30km each way and believe it or not the "safest" route (yes let's call it safe) is down witkoppen rd through the majority of Kya Sands and Fourways traffic...I have no issues...I find a buff or the like I then begin to struggle to breathe when climbing...

Back on topic....I commute 30km each way and believe it or not the "safest" route (yes let's call it safe) is down witkoppen rd through the majority of Kya Sands and Fourways traffic...I have no issues...I find a buff or the like I then begin to struggle to breathe when climbing...

I use a buff when it really gets cold here to cover the face (basically protect the skin from the cold) and as you say it does inhibit breathing in my opinion.  I also just got used to the exhaust smells. 

I've had a CO monitor alarm go off in the car before in bumper to bumper traffic- don't think that you're immune in your car and should suddenly care now that you're outside.

Quick Google:

How does this happen? The polluted particles in the air can sail past your nasal hairs (the body's first line of defense) and settle deep in your lungs. Some particles remain there, causing irritation and inflammation, and others migrate into your bloodstream, which can increase your risk of a heart attack and stroke. Because exercise means deeper breathing, more of these particles bypass your nasal filtering.

So whilst exercising you are more likely to inhale bad stuff then when just 'sitting' in your car.

But there is no need to buy a mask because there is little evidence they work, according to Prowse. "Some people report that they make breathing and exercise more difficult. A lot of masks cannot filter out many of the smallest particles that are thought to cause the greatest harm."

Good news:

Researchers concluded that long-term aerobic exercise presents protective effects, possibly by the body creating natural antioxidants that fight against the damage caused by pollution.

You should be fine, think a few studies have show that in type of environments, its better being outside. I think when it comes to exceptions like a super congested city vs sitting inside a air filtered car, things change around again.

The mortality risk will probably come from being run over long before lung damage.