Pyga, yeti or santacruz

Jimmy 2.0

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ride them...

I'm a SC guy, but mostly because of the geometry of a 5010 which I still think (maybe biased) is the perfect bike...  I've never ridden a tallboy, but to me there is a world of difference between the 5010C and any traditional marathon bike that i've ever been on.

I've heard the hightower is basically a 5010 geometry with 29" wheels, so maybe that's even more perfect, but I've never compared them 1 to 1.

This...5010 is a very good all rounder.

Hightower or the new Hightower LT (150mm) are very good options too.

post-54517-0-67910700-1505473422_thumb.jpg

Hi hubbers.

I'm in the process of building up a new bike and having a hard time deciding on what to build for myself for the 2018 season. I'm looking at the pyga stage,yeti are and a santacruz tallboy.

The reasons why I chose those three Bikes I because of its 120mm travel from and 100-110mm travel rear. Making it perfect for xc semi trail bike. I'm not worried about components because the Bike is gonna be Custom built.

Im just wanting to know which is the better frame of the three.

Thanks

Yeti ASR with 2 x 850ml bottles on the frame. This is great for marathon events like TransB etc

This bike is fast in the single track, climbing, cornering and flat out gravel grinding you can't go wrong if you want a short travel racer.

Hmmm....all nice bikes, but it's pretty hard not to go the Cruz way. At the end of the day, these choices shouldn't be determined by figures or logic. Pick the one that makes you fizz.

Ps: yes I have a Hightower and a Tallboy 2

Funny you say that , I had a Pyga it didn't last 3 rides and it took a loooong time to get a replacement. sadly seen a few broken and all in the same place more or less

Fortunately we have the liberty of dealing with Patrick himself and not through a dealership.

As far as broken frames are concerned; this is always a worry. 

Nothing like building a bike to keep you occupied day & night with endless thoughts of what carbon bling & shiny trinkets. Having the base of a excellent frame is paramount.

If it where me, Santa Cruz all the way. What a sweet dilemma you have .

Enjoy building its half the fun.

PYGA - the Yeti ASR has terrible pedal bob and I have heard of a few frames cracking.

Have to disagree with the pedal bob theory from all the bikes I've ridden it has very very little and worth any sacrifices in the suspension department when it is pointed downhill! Since getting mine my proper trail bike has been gathering dust as I never feel "out gunned" on it.  I may be biased but since getting the ASR I haven't looked back, I really enjoy racing but prefer my riding to be fun and fast and for me the Yeti ticks all the boxes.

Broken frames are unfortunately a reality with lots of brands and from what I've seen the ASR doesn't suffer from this any more than other brands. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those bikes but the Yeti gets my vote

attachicon.gif005.jpg

Yeti ASR with 2 x 850ml bottles on the frame. This is great for marathon events like TransB etc

This bike is fast in the single track, climbing, cornering and flat out gravel grinding you can't go wrong if you want a short travel racer.

Awesome, you just have to find a river to wash the cow poop off the nozzle before you drink from the second bottle. And with that rigid post it can't be that fast on the singletrack.

Awesome, you just have to find a river to wash the cow poop off the nozzle before you drink from the second bottle. And with that rigid post it can't be that fast on the singletrack.

post-54517-0-67049800-1505484136_thumb.jpg

Dropper added now. No more marathons until next year.

• 2 weeks later...

I've narrowed it down to a pyga stage and an intense primer 29.

The attention to detail and overall quality on the Primer is mind boggling. As soon as the assclowns at OR Tambo customs warehouse get their stuff together, I will begin assembly on mine.