CogitoErgoSum

Does Tassies count?

RAU

Jool

Koos Kombuis

Wyntuin

en 

Tassies - they all go hand-in-hand.

You could only buy by the bottle and if I remember right, the white on offer was Graca.

I miss the days when things were simple.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tassies in a tall glass, loaded with ice on a hot day, makes the wine snobs toes curl and my taste buds dance with joy.

Very many moons ago there was a "joll" outside Pretoria called the Farm Inn, loaded with students and other undesirables, where Tassies was sold by the bottle! Good memories! 

Tassies has won many a blind tasting when it had a cork and not screw-top.

True story and Platter was one of the tasters!

Tassies has won many a blind tasting when it had a cork and not screw-top.

True story and Platter was one of the tasters!

No idea...only bought it by the gallon which always had a screw top.........but I think that's a *** storie

No idea...only bought it by the gallon which always had a screw top.........but I think that's a *** storie

No, it is the truth.  I was present at the tastings.

Hmm....must have been a fluke bottle because the only way you could make Tassies nice was to chill it in the refrigerator and mix with ice

Anyway I will give you the benefit of the doubt.....still find it hard to swallow...ha ha

The Missus and I go for the old favourites like Rust en Vrede, Kanonkop, Rustenburg, Meerlust, Oak Valley, Mulderbosh and the like.

However, always keen to try out new wines, reds particularly. Had some Idiom recently, wonderful.

I am trying the wines of my region now and really enjoy the the Herold Wines from up behind George. Small production, well priced, very drinkable.

This week I bought some 2012 Louis Meurant Shiraz from Aan't Vette at Riversdale, highly recommended for those who like their reds.

I do like the ports from Calitzdorp too, slowly building my cellar!!

Day to day, to prevent ones bodily pipes from rusting, we tend to the simpler Checkers Odd Bins, River Red etc.

We tend to set a Randella per bottle limit and then take pot luck when trying out new to us wines. Good stuff we buy to cellar, the rest we use to marinade/ cook or in extreme cases clean drains or strip paint!

Edited by Spokey

The secret of Tassies was that it was wine that was left over in the process after the winemakers change from one cultivar to another at the winery.  So you could either get a funny blend, or if lucky, one of the top notch wines that was processed on the day.

The Missus and I go for the old favourites like Rust en Vrede, Kanonkop, Rustenburg, Meerlust and the like.

However, always keen to try out new wines, reds particularly. Had some Idiom recently, wonderful.

I am trying the wines of my region now and really enjoy the the Herold Wines from up behind George. Small production, well priced, very drinkable.

This week I bought some 2012 Louis Meurant Shiraz from Aan't Vette at Riversdal, highly recommended for those who like their reds.

I do like the ports from Calitzdorp too, slowly building my cellar!!

Day to day, to prevent ones bodily pipes from rusting, we tend to the simpler Checkers Odd Bins, Riverside Red etc.

Love the Boplaas reds - Portuguese cultivars - Tinta is great.  Their Dry Red very drinkable.

Tokara makes some very, very nice Shiraz. 

My favourite "good value for money" wines comes from the Robertson area. You can't really go wrong. Van Loveren makes a stunning selection of reds and whites.

Fairview wines, just outside Paarl, are also great!!

Edited by Underachiever

Love the Boplaas reds - Portuguese cultivars - Tinta is great.  Their Dry Red very drinkable.

My favourite "good value for money" wines comes from the Robertson area. You can't really go wrong. Van Loveren makes a stunning selection of reds and whites.

Fairview, just outside Paarl, are also great!!

post-52292-0-52013000-1505753876_thumb.png

Van Loveren, very nice. I just bought this in George last week!

Hmm....must have been a fluke bottle because the only way you could make Tassies nice was to chill it in the refrigerator and mix with ice

Anyway I will give you the benefit of the doubt.....still find it hard to swallow...ha ha

Or make a Katemba! Red wine and coke.

Dont judge me. I was a student, and poor...

Fairview, just outside Paarl, are also great!!

I agree, Fairview is very good, their Goats do Roam Rose' is also very drinkable for a hot afternoon. Also one of the more pleasant farms to visit, their little restaurant made a great cheese board, served with chunky bread, some fine Rose', hot afternoon..................! Damn.! 

Boplaas Port is also excellent, I bought a few bottles with, well they didn't last long....!

I also like the Boplaas Potstill brandy, under normal circumstances I dont drink Brandy but I make an exception for the Boplaas Potstill range. Well above most standards. 

For those in Pretoria or even Jhb who may be interested - normally a lekker day out, just get a driver or uber.

post-92370-0-67623700-1505801985_thumb.jpg

post-92370-0-29768000-1505802003_thumb.png

I am trying the wines of my region now and really enjoy the the Herold Wines from up behind George.

You should also try the couple of wineries up the road at The Crags. The dry whites, especially Bramon and Newstead are nice everyday drinking wines.

I have picked up a habit from a friend that has a mission to find really good Cheap wine , max R80,00 a bottle, we have found some really good cheap wines, It is so easy to get caught up in the pretentious world of wine where a lot of people think that an expensive wine is a good one. Some of the wines that we have found can hold their own against wines 4 x their price.

I have picked up a habit from a friend that has a mission to find really good Cheap wine , max R80,00 a bottle, we have found some really good cheap wines, It is so easy to get caught up in the pretentious world of wine where a lot of people think that an expensive wine is a good one. Some of the wines that we have found can hold their own against wines 4 x their price.

R80,00 a bottle is seen as cheap? Then I need to up my game... I set myself a cap at max R95,00 thinking you must get something desent at that price.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I have picked up a habit from a friend that has a mission to find really good Cheap wine , max R80,00 a bottle, we have found some really good cheap wines, It is so easy to get caught up in the pretentious world of wine where a lot of people think that an expensive wine is a good one. Some of the wines that we have found can hold their own against wines 4 x their price.

100% in agreement.

Drink what you like not what you should like.

Find out what it is in a wine which you like and then stick with this as a base for choosing

eg:  Sweet or fruity (big difference in the two), wooded - heavily wooded or unwooded, dry.

I think cultivar is one of the last areas of choice..."oooh, had a nice: Cabernet last night".

Ask yourself, why was it so palatable?