The Great Wine Thread

CogitoErgoSum

That little valley must be a good spot for red grapes - I bought a good Syrah at Peter Valke, and I had a bottle of Stellenrust Shiraz that I enjoyed. I also hear good things about Dornier - have not tried their wine yet.

Yes,I agree, the Peter Falcke "Blanc de Noir" is also very drinkable and I think quite highly rated, cant say I have tried Dornier either, doesn't ring a bell anyway. 

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you enjoy a Bordeaux blend then in the range of the De Toren Fusion V you should try Meerlust Rubicon!!

Yes, the Meerlust Rubicon has been around for many years, I can remember buying it in the 90's already, I believe it was specifically created to rival the Bordeaux blends from France,...great wine farm as well, I enjoyed many a fine afternoon there.

Good story.

Does anybody remember the No "7" ?

All this folklore when you are a student.  You believe in anything just to be able to drink it.

Leeuplesier!!!

Yes, the Meerlust Rubicon has been around for many years, I can remember buying it in the 90's already, I believe it was specifically created to rival the Bordeaux blends from France,...great wine farm as well, I enjoyed many a fine afternoon there.

100% Grumpy I am proud to say I have a  couple bottles of Rubicon 96 in my collection

I aleays prefferred their cab sav - not to say Rubicon is not good in a good year - Just kind of boring for old guys like me...

Just bought a limited edition Magnum from De Toren... not sure if I will open it or look at it or give it away.... probably all 3 ultimately.

Depending on the vintage that is a R1000 bottle of wine! I will gladly offer my assistance if you choose to drink it ;)

A few of our favourites so far:

Cavalli WInes (Their 2008 Warlord is something else and the Nightmare went down really well)

Stoney Brook (Ghost Gum and Ovidus but all their wines are outstanding)

Topiary (Cab Sav, Shiraz and their MCC)

Moreson (Cab Franc and The Widowmaker Pinotage)

Le Lude (Not wine but they make a really good MCC)

River Gold (Shiraz)

La Chataigne ( Can't recall what we bought but it was good. Inetersting in that the owner signs every bottle by hand)

My Wyn (Shiraz)

Radford Dale (Frankenstein Pinotage)

Springfield (All their reds)

Vrede en Lust (Boet Erasmus)

Anton Rupert (Optima)

The list changes quite often but there are some favourites that stay put.

Was on a date last night and knocked back a bottle of Nederburg cab sav between the 2 of us over a pizza.

Holy **** that was a good wine. Just unsure of the vintage year.

But my go to wine for most occasions is a Alto Rouge. Their other wines are just as good, just pricey

Edited by Jurgens Smit

My go to cellars for reds in stellies:

Annandale

De Trafford nice gem of a small cellar

Laibach

The Post house

Bilton

Stellakaya (was fortunate to have a tasting with their winemaker)

Muratie

Twice tasted one of the larger farm's 'award-winning limited addition' wines. Tasted like paintstripper. Literally

Both times. Only go there for the chocolate pairing for my wife. Their non-prize winning wines are not too bad.

Favourite whites = delheim gewurtztraminer & dalla cia sauv blanc

Edited by Patensie

I am enjoying the FatBastard Shiraz. It has a very well develop nose befitting the taste

What is the difference between shiraz, syrah and bourdoux? The syrah and bourdoux are blends? In terms of taste - dry, bitter, sweet, pronounced fruits, very dark aftertaste....?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I am enjoying the FatBastard Shiraz. It has a very well develop nose befitting the taste

What is the difference between shiraz, syrah and bourdoux? The syrah and bourdoux are blends? In terms of taste - dry, bitter, sweet, pronounced fruits, very dark aftertaste....?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Shiraz and Syrah are differing regional spelling of the same grape. It is a grape variety and is used on its own or in blends with other varieties in a number of wine styles...most famous probably with Grenache in the Rhone region and the blend that takes its name.

Bordeaux is a region in France which has given its name to the red wine blend they make: primarily Cabernet Sauvignon with merlot and cabernet franc and smaller amounts of other varieties like petit verdot.

A bordeaux style wine is thus a wine blended in the way.

Edited by eddy

Shiraz and Syrah are differing regional spelling of the same grape. It is a grape variety and is used on its own or in blends with other varieties in a number of wine styles...most famous probably with Grenache in the Rhone region and the blend that takes its name.

Bordeaux is a region in France which has given its name to the red wine blend they make: primarily Cabernet Sauvignon with merlot and cabernet franc and smaller amounts of other varieties like petit verdot.

A bordeaux style wine is thus a wine blended in the way.

Spot on. We(SA) make very good Bordeaux blends, loads of wine farms champion Cabernet Sauvignon.

Our own unique blend is the Cape Blend where Pinotage is the main cultivar.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone tried The Chocolate Block, and what's it like? I saw it advertised in a Spar brochure the other day.

59785011_0_640x640.jpg?identifier=01d9fd

this wine is rated very highly but from my opinion its not that great! if you enjoy a chocolate inspired Pinotage I would recommend the Café Culture Coffee Mocha  half the price of the Chocolate Block and much better IMO