+size rider needs advice

matthieup

Guys,

I started riding more regularly and realised that my old 26' is not cutting it and need to upgrade soon.

At 122kg I realise i don't really fall in the target market so advice from the +size riders (nevermind buffalo, we need elephant category) I'd like to hear what bike you guys have.

I was quite optimistic when i saw articles about fattie and plus size bikes, but it didn't really apply :)

I'll look at a 29' XL for sure. I'll most probably change the gearset to ease my pain in the climbs...

I'm thinking that carbon will not come in equation at all, as let's be honest saving 1 or 2kg on the bike at cost is such a tiny % of the bike + rider weight in my case.

Thanks for advice

I would go for an aluminium mtb (e.g. Silverback Sola 1). Then before leaving the shop have either a custom wheel set built, or have the stock wheels re spoked for your weight.

You should be fine with the standard gear ratios, but can replace the casset with steeper ratios.

I can recomend Mason's Bike Inn (speak to Mason) in Stellenbosch for such a deal.

This is just my opinion.. not sure if you are a tall bloke or not, i assume so if you ride XL. but i was even heavier then you are.. i was 130kg december 2015.. i started of with a Giant anthem X 2016.. there wasnt any problems.. i soon lost 35kg over a period of 18 months..

If you can ride often and eat better you will loose weight quickly..

Then most of the bikes will work for what you want to achieve on the bike...

This is just my opinion.. not sure if you are a tall bloke or not, i assume so if you ride XL. but i was even heavier then you are.. i was 130kg december 2015.. i started of with a Giant anthem X 2016.. there wasnt any problems.. i soon lost 35kg over a period of 18 months..

If you can ride often and eat better you will loose weight quickly..

Then most of the bikes will work for what you want to achieve on the bike...

thanks, that's the goal... I'm 1.9m and been told i should go for a XL

I would go for an aluminium mtb (e.g. Silverback Sola 1). Then before leaving the shop have either a custom wheel set built, or have the stock wheels re spoked for your weight.

You should be fine with the standard gear ratios, but can replace the casset with steeper ratios.

I can recomend Mason's Bike Inn (speak to Mason) in Stellenbosch for such a deal.

Thanks for the tip on the wheels. When you say respoke, do you mean actually replace the spokes or just adjust the tension?

And if i look at 2nd hand bikes (better bang for buck), is there anything in particular i should look at or be careful of?

I'm 123kg and 1,87m. Silverback Sola 1 2016 works well for me.

Had a probkem with spokes breaking, still use the original ones, just more carefull when hitting bumps. Let your legs take the movement and not your bike. Now I'm sorted and happy.

I did not change my casette and it works for me.

And if i look at 2nd hand bikes (better bang for buck), is there anything in particular i should look at or be careful of?

Drivetrain wear and wear on the fork.

There are a few threads at the moment discussing this exact subject , second had bike, what training methods , eating habits and what works for others . I weighed 124kg when i started , I bought a second hand Ghost Carbon MTB and train no less than an hour a day ( 160km a week ) . I watch my food intake staying away from too much meet , white foods , fizzy drinks ( no alcohol ) and anything in a wrapper bought from a shop . To date i have lost 14kg in 3 months and pushed my average speed per ride up to 25kph . Dont buy a cheap super market special and hope to enjoy riding it . Rather invest in a better prepared used bike ( road or Mtb ) and have something that you can upgrade once the bug bites and believe me it will once you see the weight lose in a short time . Good luck and keep us informed ( I do its part of the motivation ) 

Thanks for the tip on the wheels. When you say respoke, do you mean actually replace the spokes or just adjust the tension?

I mean replace the spokes (rebuild the wheel). Replace the factory spokes with better spokes.

Fit the bike , I'm 1.93m tall and ride a Large, can go XL but found my legs were too short for a 29er, Depend on your build.

Fit the bike , I'm 1.93m tall and ride a Large, can go XL but found my legs were too short for a 29er, Depend on your build.

I presume that you mean that your legs are too short for an XL frame?

I presume that you mean that your legs are too short for an XL frame?

And this would only be a problem if he wanted a dropper. Which is when inseam becomes a measurement you need to be aware of.

Archived