Kayamandi Stellenbosch Attacks - Again

Viking2

And then you take a deep breath, wait for the feeling to subside, and keep looking for the real answer I hope?

So pray tell, what would your solution be?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What good are bullets? You going to throw it the attackers?

pgcnO39.gif

Yes?

What was left unsaid was via the use of a bullet-throwing-device, a.k.a. a gun...

Here in Cape Town, this thing called a gun is a popular device for throwing bullets around. This usually happens a lot in the flêtses, but also from time to time in the establishments of ill repute frequented at night by the high, the drunk or the otherwise rowdy.

You need to come to this. Or be aware what is taking place but I'd say better to be there.

It might look like it's only Table Mountain but don't be fooled, the thinking behind this is on a much wider scale and someone like you with your understanding needs to raise the issue "your" area is experiencing...  

https://www.facebook.com/events/1615070655240526/

You need to come to this. Or be aware what is taking place but I'd say better to be there.

It might look like it's only Table Mountain but don't be fooled, the thinking behind this is on a much wider scale and someone like you with your understanding needs to raise the issue "your" area is experiencing...  

https://www.facebook.com/events/1615070655240526/

Hi Deon

Thanks for the info, will most certainly try to be there......

Hi Deon

Thanks for the info, will most certainly try to be there......

A short follow up..

So far 38 groups have signed up to the system that was introduced at the meeting. If you haven't already, you need to get your name/group onto it as the system is a module that can roll out to anywhere in South Africa. Every area already has the infrastructure, just not connected yet.

Locally, you are covered through WC Gov/CoCT so this applies to you.. 

A short follow up..

So far 38 groups have signed up to the system that was introduced at the meeting. If you haven't already, you need to get your name/group onto it as the system is a module that can roll out to anywhere in South Africa. Every area already has the infrastructure, just not connected yet.

Locally, you are covered through WC Gov/CoCT so this applies to you.. 

Deon, how to do this?

Deon, how to do this?

Reps to make contact, trails@tokaimtb.co.za will do.. the issue in Stellenbosch/SSW needs representation.

So where are we????

slow and small steps but with some involvement of really high profile individuals we have a meeting set with Mayor of Stellenbosch, again the MCM for protection services and some other high profile gents from the UCI world cup organizers.

The purpose of the meeting will be to discuss the crime related issues on cyclists and the way forward. it will also be a meeting of inquiry, to determine the councils short and long term plan in addressing these crime related issues and to determine, If any, what the immediate action plans are. 

this is not a finger pointing exercise but rather a solution driven action plan. Again i believe that if we all take hands, this includes the SAPS and judicial departments we will eventually start making an impact in these types of crimes.

Information and communication is key.

will keep you posted

So where are we????

slow and small steps but with some involvement of really high profile individuals we have a meeting set with Mayor of Stellenbosch, again the MCM for protection services and some other high profile gents from the UCI world cup organizers.

The purpose of the meeting will be to discuss the crime related issues on cyclists and the way forward. it will also be a meeting of inquiry, to determine the councils short and long term plan in addressing these crime related issues and to determine, If any, what the immediate action plans are. 

this is not a finger pointing exercise but rather a solution driven action plan. Again i believe that if we all take hands, this includes the SAPS and judicial departments we will eventually start making an impact in these types of crimes.

Information and communication is key.

will keep you posted

Its easy to sit around and complain, so it's great to see someone getting involved and trying to get things done.

As a cyclist that wants to keep enjoying the beautiful roads that the cape has to offer, you have my thanks

what a meeting.....i am glad i don't have to deal with all the red tape....

that being said, i must say, the mayor seems passionate about cycling and although her hands are really tied in many ways, seems really eager to assist as much as she can possibly assist.

one thing became very clear, cycling incidents are not even a drop in the ocean of the things they need to deal with and one can see that although not a number 1 priority the mayor is concerned and have agreed to where possible assist

There were short term and long term initiatives discussed....

SHORT TERM

see where a protection officer of some sort can be stationed at the kayamandi section of the R304, 3 months

during this period other initiatives need to be identified and adressed

meet with the SSI to discuss action plans

identify safe cycling time past hot spot areas

identify the community and address the risks with them and how this negatively affects them

long term

CCTV initiative

Patrolling of identified hot spots

Linking various cycling groups and communicating incidents and or identifying hot spots

communication with SAPS

Note the above are only some of the ideas discussed and as time goes i believe more feasible and long term solution will present itself. I most certainly do not have all the answers but i believe continued interaction with the powers that be will eventually have a positive impact

There is no doubt that when all the interested parties join hands success will be achieved and I will continue to be involved until acceptable solution have been found....

• 2 weeks later...

Apparentley another attack near Lieberheim last week tuesday at 6:15am.  PM me if need more info.

Edited by Karman de Lange

• 8 months later...

another Kayamandi Stellenbosch incident, luckily with a different outcome.....

4 x riders and 3 x attackers.... one pulled knife and approached me ready to attack. Luckily for me i was alert and had my pepper-spray ready... Sprayed his a.. and they retreated....

Could've been a very different outcome. 

seems as if things are becoming a regular occurrence again in this area....be safe guys