Durbie Dash 2017

Rouxenator

This year the Durbie Dash will be on the 28th of October. Just a work of caution to anyone doing the "Fair Cape Chain Breaker". The advertised distance and total ascent is WRONG. I emailed the organisers about this after last year and they have done sweet blow fanny eff-all about the info on their website. 

The actual distance is 70km (not 65km) and the total ascent is 1955m (not 1700m). So be prepared and enjoy the ride.

post-38519-0-87695400-1506928179_thumb.gif

post-38519-0-87134700-1506928188_thumb.gif

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

True, there is always a margin of error, but it should be within reasonable boundaries. I was caught out by that extra 250m of climbing at the end last year.

This year the Durbie Dash will be on the 28th of October. Just a work of caution to anyone doing the "Fair Cape Chain Breaker". The advertised distance and total ascent is WRONG. I emailed the organisers about this after last year and they have done sweet blow fanny eff-all about the info on their website.

The actual distance is 70km (not 65km) and the total ascent is 1955m (not 1700m). So be prepared and enjoy the ride.

map.gif

profile.gif

What do you base it on? Personal measurement during the event with a GPS based cycling unit?

What do you base it on? Personal measurement during the event with a GPS based cycling unit?

GPS in the phone, distance was the same on my wired cycling computer. 

True, there is always a margin of error, but it should be within reasonable boundaries. I was caught out by that extra 250m of climbing at the end last year.

Barometric altitude measures have a very large measurement error

i did a race that was listed as 36km, that was nearly 41km.  when i got to 36km, there was no one around me and i wondered whether i missed a turn somewhere, I couldn't even spot where the banner for the finish was. 

i stood there for five minutes or so until someone came past and shouted "you're nearly at the end, don't give up now!"  the irony of it all was at the start the announcer said "the course has been shortened due to forest fires"  yeah, thanks dude.

i did a race that was listed as 36km, that was nearly 41km.  when i got to 36km, there was no one around me and i wondered whether i missed a turn somewhere, I couldn't even spot where the banner for the finish was. 

i stood there for five minutes or so until someone came past and shouted "you're nearly at the end, don't give up now!"  the irony of it all was at the start the announcer said "the course has been shortened due to forest fires"  yeah, thanks dude.

Sounds a bit like the Porcupine Ridge race...

• 3 weeks later...

where can I find last years mtb results?

Last years mtb timing was done by Great-Time - for some reason they don't keep results older than 3 months on their website and you have to contact them directly, this year the timing will again be done by Racetec.

Just a shameless bump & punt for my local race, I am also helping out a bit with the organising.

Especially the roadies, every year we have less & less road events on the calendar. Please support the few okes left who still take the time & effort to host proper road races!

Edited by Skubarra