Cyclists attacked Cape Town 8th October

cadenceblur

Anyone else have similar methods their groups, no matter how small, are employing? 

Edit: by similar I mean anything that is a working solution - with a planned MO should something happen.

we use the baboons favored means of protection, reaching around grabbing a hand full of faeces throwing it as accurately as possible as we run in other directions

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we have to accept that in this country we are not safe doing anything in a public space. The gun carry topic has been discussed many times, with many differing opinions, and most seem to agree that carrying a gun while riding alone is probably risky.

However, I have been involved in several group rides of 6 - 10 riders, where we have designated one competent gun handler as a carrier. Everyone in the group knows he is carrying, and we make sure he is always placed in the best protected position in the group, in areas of high risk.

In my opinion this is a workable solution, and I have felt very secure knowing that if anything hits the fan, we at least have a fighting chance of repelling armed attackers. It's not ideal, but neither are our living conditions in this country.

It really is very sad to acknowledge that cycling has now become a strategic war type scenario in which the armed person in your group is protected to give you a fighting chance of survival, however this appears to be a way to offer confidence and security whilst indulging in an activity that brings us so much pleasure. I am a gun owner and often go out on rides alone and for many years have enjoyed the natural beauty of the western cape around smits winkel, misty cliffs but this has become a minefield not to be attempted anymore. The idea of carrying a firearm as a sole rider adds to the responsibility and stress of the activity that i often am discouraged from even venturing out the door..and frustrated that we are living under siege and our destiny is controlled by a handful of miscreants. I have have read the thread of  'to carry or not', with great interest hoping to find some easy way of overcoming the technical challenges ofriding, drawing the firearm and protecting oneself...as i hate the feeling of helplessness id experience staring at an adrenaline filled panga wielding person who literally has my life in his hands, the question then begs to be asked,  ...is cycling worth it despite the immense joy and satisfaction i get while on the bike while to a thief all he sees is a 2k score and me standing in his way??

Anyone else have similar methods their groups, no matter how small, are employing? 

Edit: by similar I mean anything that is a working solution - with a planned MO should something happen.

i'm thinking about it, problem is majority of the time we 2 at most 3.

i'm not well trained too, but looking at getting there soon!

.is cycling worth it despite the immense joy and satisfaction i get while on the bike while to a thief all he sees is a 2k score and me standing in his way??

That’s a question only you can answer. It’s a bit like not swimming in the ocean because a shark might attack you. The chances are slim that it will be you specifically but the risk is still real. Yet by not swimming in the ocean you could be depriving yourself of years on enjoyment and possibly never be attacked.

Make take: Live your life and enjoy what you can, none of us are getting out alive anyway.

That’s a question only you can answer. It’s a bit like not swimming in the ocean because a shark might attack you. The chances are slim that it will be you specifically but the risk is still real. Yet by not swimming in the ocean you could be depriving yourself of years on enjoyment and possibly never be attacked.

Make take: Live your life and enjoy what you can, none of us are getting out alive anyway.

tell that to highlander

I ride alone most of the time. ...aluminium bike equipped with 105....and I have one of that collapsible baton thingy...in the centre pocket. .easily accessible and my bike as my shield...well that's how I play it out in my head. ..whilst riding and daydreaming of CJ ...that Baywatch chick...????????????

I ride alone most of the time. ...aluminium bike equipped with 105....and I have one of that collapsible baton thingy...in the centre pocket. .easily accessible and my bike as my shield...well that's how I play it out in my head. ..whilst riding and daydreaming of CJ ...that Baywatch chick...

http://gif-finder.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/The-Mask-Wolf-Whistle.gif

Hi, just to let u guys know those considering to carry a FA whilst cycling. i own a FA and the only place i think that will be safe to carry is strapped to your chest. The speed at which things happened on sunday i wouldnt of been able to use it. 

the thugs was on us before we could even warn each other or me even diving for the brakes. i hit the deck and rolled for a few meters. by the time i got my bearings they were more than 100/200m away with my bike. there was a road between us. So if i was still to use it i had to 1st draw my FA , compose myself, check for oncoming cars and then fire. so make it 300m the P.O.S already ran with my bike.

my 2 cents.

i'm thinking about it, problem is majority of the time we 2 at most 3.

i'm not well trained too, but looking at getting there soon!

I ride to town most mornings on my ace at 5:00 or 7:45. 

My strategy is to pay my insurance premiums and when someone asks for the bike, hop off it and call an uber to office. That being said I do avoid dodgy areas like the bike lanes.

I ride to town most mornings on my ace at 5:00 or 7:45. 

My strategy is to pay my insurance premiums and when someone asks for the bike, hop off it and call an uber to office. That being said I do avoid dodgy areas like the bike lanes.

I think this is the clever approach. The extra risk of carrying a firearm and chasing off attackers might be "brave" but not the cleverest option.

Pay insurance, hand the bike over.... in the scenarios where they don't give you the option and they moer you off the bike, a gun wouldn't help in any case.

I think this is the clever approach. The extra risk of carrying a firearm and chasing off attackers might be "brave" but not the cleverest option.

Pay insurance, hand the bike over.... in the scenarios where they don't give you the option and they moer you off the bike, a gun wouldn't help in any case.

Yeah, I suck at Counter Strike on the PC, so I really doubt adding a weapon is going to aid me in the situation. 

I have been hi jacked 3 times before, all as a youngster riding to school. The only time I was able to fight back was when the kid hi jacking me was smaller than me and had a stick, my thick bike lock was a quick swing and stunned him enough to get away. 

Yeah, I suck at Counter Strike on the PC, so I really doubt adding a weapon is going to aid me in the situation

I have been hi jacked 3 times before, all as a youngster riding to school. The only time I was able to fight back was when the kid hi jacking me was smaller than me and had a stick, my thick bike lock was a quick swing and stunned him enough to get away. 

Yeah, pulling out a Deagle while being attacked might be a challenge. Perhaps the PPA could employ a few AWPers that we can place around hot spots and they can pick off the bikejackers from a distance.

Hi, just to let u guys know those considering to carry a FA whilst cycling. i own a FA and the only place i think that will be safe to carry is strapped to your chest. The speed at which things happened on sunday i wouldnt of been able to use it. 

the thugs was on us before we could even warn each other or me even diving for the brakes. i hit the deck and rolled for a few meters. by the time i got my bearings they were more than 100/200m away with my bike. there was a road between us. So if i was still to use it i had to 1st draw my FA , compose myself, check for oncoming cars and then fire. so make it 300m the P.O.S already ran with my bike.

my 2 cents.

And to add to that, if you would have shot at him while he is running away then you are in the pooh as your life is not in danger anymore as he is running AWAY.

I used to fish about 2 to 3 times a week, mainly during the eve, especially during summer. We have one or 2 sometimes 3 guys carrying. However things are extremely rough if you are the target. Lots of hectic incidents over the past few years. We now try to keep to extremely busy areas, but at times thats not even enough. 

Somethings gotta give and soon!!!

I hate reading this thread as it portrays the reality of our situation in our much beloved country.... I know it's not going to ease up at all... and if it does, it will be a long while before it does...

Now, they say ignorance is bliss and sometimes it is, but hell, this is ridiculous, where your life is now in so much danger whether you ride in a group or not...

My brother was hijacked on table mountain 2 years ago, and it still plays clearly in the back of my head like it was yesterday, he hasn't been back on the bike since...

I still go out and ride, but my whits are about me, constantly looking ahead wherever I do ride, to ensure that I'm ok... 

That said, this is really no way to live, and I ask why are we in this situation, how did we get here to this point in reality?

Don't answer it, just ask your self the same...

Edited by ZakAttak

I hate reading this thread as it portrays the reality of our situation in our much beloved country.... I know it's not going to ease up at all... and if it does, it will be a long while before it does...

Now, they say ignorance is bliss and sometimes it is, but hell, this is ridiculous, where your life is now in so much danger whether you ride in a group or not...

My brother was hijacked on table mountain 2 years ago, and it still plays clearly in the back of my head like it was yesterday, he hasn't been back on the bike since...

I still go out and ride, but my whits are about me, constantly looking ahead wherever I do ride, to ensure that I'm ok... 

That said, this is really no way to live, and I ask why are we in this situation, how did we get here to this point in reality?

Don't answer it, just ask your self the same...

Years ago as a youngster, we had to look out for dogs that were willing to charge you on your bicycle. Now its thugs!!