Kona 2017 Predictions

Wheelsuck

Perhaps you should have watched, because there were definitely no bunch riding with the pro's.

The link when mentioning groups is embellishing and actually talking about strategy... being the group of guys who went hard and tried to hang on verses the group of guys who paced themselves within limits and tried to regain the initiative from those who had gone hard and began to fade.

Perhaps you should re-read again and not try to read into something that was not there... especially as you admit that you did not watch, so are interpreting incorrectly what is written

as stated "a winding snake of 30 pro men formed by mile 20".... being a long line of riders each outside of the draft zone of one another snaking along the road.... and not bunch riding.

And yes I did watch beyond the turn around point at 60kms, so can say with fact that there was no drafting or bunch riding!

potayto potarto

I watched the highlights, so ja, not the whole thing but plenty of okes riding behind each other, maybe it was all passing but one can see that whatever the rules are, the okes are on the limit of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRjgPeZGj8U&t=719s

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Twitter: Winning the 60-64 age group in Hawaii required a 9:46 this year. Pound for pound, that's the most impressive performance of the '17 race.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twitter: Winning the 60-64 age group in Hawaii required a 9:46 this year. Pound for pound, that's the most impressive performance of the '17 race.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is absolutely crazy. I hope to be able to complete an Ironman at 64, never mind in under 10 hours!

Wow, and Suunto is nowhere, I thought it was a bigger brand than that.

What I find interesting is that 33km/h ave for guys 'only' needs 185 watts ave, I would have thought it would be a lot more

Wow, and Suunto is nowhere, I thought it was a bigger brand than that.

What I find interesting is that 33km/h ave for guys 'only' needs 185 watts ave, I would have thought it would be a lot more

Am guessing the course is pretty flat and perhaps the winds did not blow as hard as usual. 

I watched the first 60kms of the bike leg and the commentators did not mention the renowned wind much, just a couple of times in the more exposed places heading to the turn around.

As a comparison at IMSA2017 my speed was 30kms/hr ave at 141W ave..... so seems to correlate

As a comparison at IMSA2017 my speed was 30kms/hr ave at 141W ave..... so seems to correlate

You secretly hunting for a Kona spot .....  :whistling:

Am guessing the course is pretty flat and perhaps the winds did not blow as hard as usual. 

I watched the first 60kms of the bike leg and the commentators did not mention the renowned wind much, just a couple of times in the more exposed places heading to the turn around.

+1

at 75kg I average 30kms/hr at 140W

Lionel Sanders - Avg power 305W for 112 miles with an average speed of about 40 kms/hr

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/athlete/workout/QEA6SKRXBOOIYMNU46GKWQZRCI

+1

at 75kg I average 30kms/hr at 140W

I averaged 35km/h for the first time last weekend (it was only 40kms though) and I was broken afterwards, legs properly on fire. I was secretly hoping I was averaging like 300 watts  :ph34r:

I've also been playing with the idea of buying a power meter for my bike for a long time now. May be good to get some science involved in training.

I averaged 35km/h for the first time last weekend (it was only 40kms though) and I was broken afterwards, legs properly on fire. I was secretly hoping I was averaging like 300 watts  :ph34r:

I've also been playing with the idea of buying a power meter for my bike for a long time now. May be good to get some science involved in training.

Powermeter makes a big difference, helps a lot with pacing.

You secretly hunting for a Kona spot .....  :whistling:

Would be nice... but more curious to see how I think I would fit into the scheme of things based on past races.

Agree with David, definitely helps with pacing during a race to keep you as fresh as is possible for the run.

A power meter has also transformed how I train and even how I ride .... and now ride on how am feeling and what my power numbers are telling me at the time.

A power meter has also transformed how I train and even how I ride .... and now ride on how am feeling and what my power numbers are telling me at the time.

Powermeter makes a big difference, helps a lot with pacing.

What setups do you guys have? brands, cost etc. It was the cost that has kept me from jumping in in the first place. 

Also, do you train with a team/group who deciphers and sets power training for you, or are you going at it man-alone and just using the net for training guidance?

Archived