Tour de France 2018

gummibear

Ag i like this guy..though bugger hope he has a good week.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Conveniently excludes the first part where he spun his cranks to get his chain back on and into a lighter gear.

Super like!

I have real sympathy for the riders after seeing the carnage of yesterday's stage.

It made for exciting viewing, but I am beginning to wonder whether it has a place in Grand Tours, as others have been saying.

In Classics races like Paris-Roubaix you know that it is all-in for a single day of racing and you can justify the risk.

Great viewing vs High risk to the riders.... I don't know, still on the fence leaning towards removing it from Le Tour.

I think it is awesome to have a mixed parcours, and yesterday was rad.

it was a mini roubaix  -

~100km shorter

way less cobbles - no 5* no arenberg, no carrefour d'labre (sp)

no april rain/mud

There was only 2 DNFs and of course the biggest casualty was Porte, who of course crashed on a 0* sector. NQ was expected to get shelled, he did quite alright thank you.

declare it a success, have it again (maybe not every year)

I think it is awesome to have a mixed parcours, and yesterday was rad.

it was a mini roubaix -

~100km shorter

way less cobbles - no 5* no arenberg, no carrefour d'labre (sp)

no april rain/mud

There was only 2 DNFs and of course the biggest casualty was Porte, who of course crashed on a 0* sector. NQ was expected to get shelled, he did quite alright thank you.

declare it a success, have it again (maybe not every year)

0* sector. Ahhh more coffee on the computer screen... Thanks for that.

d80ae499b9a267d539e03c7eeebc5a0d.jpg

Honestly these okes are super tough.

Also, chain wings are much more dangerous than disc brakes!

I am really glad Majka came through okay..he is flying under the radar which is good..team did a good job for him yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It's been covered already but this is what happens when you crash:

You get up.

You check your chain is on.

If not you lift the back wheel with your one hand whilst turning the crank with your other hand. This causes the back wheel to spin - fast if you're in the big ring.

That is all you're seeing.

As another poster said (Patch I think) - if it is a motor then it's a crap motor because the bike doesn't shoot forward when he puts it down.

... and the inventor of the free-hub rests peacefully in his grave...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I must say, this year is the first time that I've actually made an effort to watch Le Tour. Started with mtb in '08 and focused mostly on mtb'ing, so watching road cycling events didn't really interest me in the past. I think I've missed 2 stages so far, and I always seem to catch the last hour of each stage that I've been watching. Makes me wish I could win the lotto, move to France, and ride there.

I enjoyed yesterday’s stage. It had me abandoning trying to watch Wimbledon and the XCO race. Once Novac broke early, I knew how that was going, and then watching Nino and the new boy racing each other it got boring as well, so I watched most of the stage. Usually I watch a bit, and then flip through the other sports channels until the last 10km or one of the big climbs are coming up as you pretty much know how the stage will go once you saw who’s in the break and who is working on the front of the chase. Yesterday was so unpredictable and the intensity was amazing throughout the whole stage. Compare that to the transition stage the day before [emoji99]. While it is impossible to expect action-packed stages every day, it is important to remember that cycling is competing with all the other sports broadcasts at the time. GC contenders simply staying out of trouble in week 1 and going all out on 2 or 3 stages and then doing damage control in the TT does not appeal to the masses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sports in general is getting more and more intense. The cricket example is a good analogy - test cricket used to be the only game to watch. ODIs were for the hackers. Pro20 hadn't even been invented. Slowly ODIs became the most popular format and now it's only Pro20s that fill the stadiums (in most parts of the world).

Fans want bigger better faster higher and more dangerous. Look at the growth of MMA, FMX and extreme sports.

It's been covered already but this is what happens when you crash:

You get up.

You check your chain is on.

If not you lift the back wheel with your one hand whilst turning the crank with your other hand. This causes the back wheel to spin - fast if you're in the big ring.

That is all you're seeing.

As another poster said (Patch I think) - if it is a motor then it's a crap motor because the bike doesn't shoot forward when he puts it down.

Logical explanation, but that is exactly why I found it strange. You don't see him touching the cranks at any point.

So if the trend is to continue, who is in the peloton who have won Roubaix before?

Sagan

GvA

Terpstra

Hayden

Degenkolb

Not entirely unlikely...

So the trend continues where the Roubaix stage in the TDF is won by a former winner of the proper Paris-Roubaix.

Logical explanation, but that is exactly why I found it strange. You don't see him touching the cranks at any point.

Pleaasssse go to page number 95 of this thread, timestamp around 8h51 on 2018/07/15, where this question was raised and answered over a couple of posts.

If however you want to believe it is a motor and want someone to agree with you, please send HeadDown a PM and you guys can discuss.

Look at the full video posted just after your post. It's sideways as it's footage from a downed bike but you can clearly see the polka dot jersey doing exactly that to his bike before the video you posted.

Edit. Bertusras posted the full video.

Archived