It gets properly cold.. We recorded minus 12 on year in the snow and that is before you are wet and freewheeling down a 20 minutes mountain pass...I can highly recommend neoprene gloves and socks. They are about the only thing that keeps your hands from falling off

I used some neoprene sailing gloves, found them in my watersports bag by chance, quite a bit thicker than standard cycling gloves, very good in the wet and stood up well to abuse. I had sealskinz for the very cold days, but the sailing gloves worked a treat for most days. They also seem to be cheaper without a Specialized logo.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cockpit ✔

Just a note on the holes, test them with how you plan on keeping your map on the board.

If you just covering the map in DC fix and using bulldog clips to hold it down check your clips are strong enough that it doesn't blow the map off the board on fast downhills. The air comes through the holes and can cause issues, not major ones but you must just check and test.

If you using a map bag and elastics, check the elastics as well, nothing worse than map flying off on downhills.

Another thing to remember is to test it with your eyes, some people want the map board higher so they can read it easier and some like it lower for their eyes, the whole point is to have it that you can read on the fly, if you have to stop to read the map you may as well dcfix it and tuck it into you shorts instead of using a map board.

Just a note on the holes, test them with how you plan on keeping your map on the board.

If you just covering the map in DC fix and using bulldog clips to hold it down check your clips are strong enough that it doesn't blow the map off the board on fast downhills. The air comes through the holes and can cause issues, not major ones but you must just check and test.

If you using a map bag and elastics, check the elastics as well, nothing worse than map flying off on downhills.

Another thing to remember is to test it with your eyes, some people want the map board higher so they can read it easier and some like it lower for their eyes, the whole point is to have it that you can read on the fly, if you have to stop to read the map you may as well dcfix it and tuck it into you shorts instead of using a map board.

adding to what Dave said the holes can affect the integrity of the board so ensure that you test it on long sections of corrugated road (think road through the Baviaans which can destroy anything).

Top tip some spare bulldog clips and elastics in boxes after a couple off days. Cos you will loose them because of corrugation a crash or forget them at a lunch stop and be gatvol to turn around. Its nice to know your bodge will only need to last two days instead of 2 weeks cos you have no spares. You can always beg washing line clips from a support station host to last a couple of days(they might laugh at you but it works been there ;) ).

As said test the reading on the go(height of map but also your map bags to see if the plastic is transparent enough sunshine reflection etc, adjusting on the go to see if it works)

• 2 weeks later...
Changing of the Guard

The 2018 Freedom Challenge Events have begun with Race to Craddock RTC2018 and Race to Willomore RTW2018 already done.

It is with great excitement that we announce a change of management for the Freedom Trail and Freedom Challenge Events. Glenn Harrison and Meryl Glaser of Terra Firma Trail Solutions will be ending their tenure at the end of RASA 2018 after 3 years at the helm and nine years of involvement for Meryl. 

"The last nine years have been amazing and I wouldn't change it for the world" says Meryl "but it is time for new energy to come in and carry the flag."

There is no doubt that Glenn and Meryl have done a fantastic job over the past three years and they will be sorely missed in the race office and by all within the Freedom Trail Community. Hopefully we will still see them riding their bikes along the trail, enjoying the 'fruits' of their hard work. 

The new race office will be headed by Chris and Julia Fisher of SquareFish Events as of July 2018. This husband and wife team are passionate about the Freedom Trail and could not be more excited about the prospect of taking over the events and tours. They are both "blanket wearers" and respect the ethos of the Freedom Trail. 

They are committed to the longevity and continued growth of all aspects of the Freedom Trail for years to come.

— with Chris Fisher and Julia Fisher.

• 3 weeks later...

A month to go - who else is in besides Bruce?

I'm planning to go all the way - but have a 50/50 record with this monster - so making no predictions and hoping for some luck.

Vacillate between - 'why the hell am I doing this?' and how privileged am I to get two weeks plus off to do something so self-centered.

Searching for some fitness and conditioning in a month - that versus some people who have been doing the lead-up events to get there, ie 36one, RTC, RTW and even TransPortugal. Not that I am anywhere near that aspiration - but it does seem to be that folk are taking this journey a lot more seriously these days. I'm even considering sending some boxes ahead this time....  

Vacillate between - 'why the hell am I doing this?' and how privileged am I to get two weeks plus off to do something so self-centered.

You're going to be flying!!

And if those US weather gurus are right the weather this time round could be anything but peachy.

This year is going to be a cracker of endurance testing.

Cannot wait to be a couch freedom participator cheering you okes on.

And if those US weather gurus are right the weather this time round could be anything but peachy.

This year is going to be a cracker of endurance testing.

Cannot wait to be a couch freedom participator cheering you okes on.

whats the forecast at this stage? Weather wise.

Archived