Nog 'n jaar op die horison en moontlik dalk nog 'n kombers, maar voor ons nog 'n kombers kan verower moet ons dalk eers begin oefen, of dalk aan 'n race of twee deelneem......

COCKSCOMB CLASSIC EXTREME  18 November 2017 is dalk net die regte race om die perspektief en die fokus weer reg te kry, die groot voordeel van die race, en dis nou maar my vermoede, is dat dit heel moontlik deel kan word van die Freedom Challenge roete. Ek kan julle die versekering gee dat die race, soos die Freedom Challenge, nie vir sussies gaan wees nie, maar dat die avontuurskoon, gasvryheid en 'n belewenis moeilik ge-ewenaar gaan word, verseker sal opmaak vir die bloed wat gesweet gaan word !!!

As jy dus wonder oor wat die Freedom Challenge moontlik mag inhou en of jy gaan hou en dag vir dag dit kan volhou is die eendag race vir jou !!!

Meer besonderhede oor die race : Hannes Horn www.bucklands.org.za 082 4972372

:clap:  :clap:  :clap: 

Edited by Marnitz Nienaber

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now is a good time to start training for the Freedom Challenge, my training involve the following, not that I followed it this year, mostly relied on muscle memory..........

I normally start running in October till December, the main advantage of running is that it strengthens your quads that you will need on the 47000 m climbing and you don't need the same time span vs cycling.

From January till April I would do long rides, to get use to the weight that you're going to carry and the countless hours that you will spend on your bike during the Freedom Challenge.

From April/May I would focus on power training.

So I guess it's time to put on my tekkies and start shedding some unwanted fat I accumulated in the off season.....

:eek:  :eek:  :eek:    

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Fascinating race playing out on the Freedom Challenge Race to Cradock. Young guns against the grandfather of endurance cycling, Mike Woolnough. All at the same support station (Romansfontein) after 27 hours of riding. 

So I found myself a new challenge at De Aar Toyota, won't be able to do any RASA challenges this year, but staring at the screen watching the race develop brings a longing to be on the trail, I might just pay the organizers a visit since I'm now in the middle of the country.......  

Hi Guys/Girls

I'm preparing for my 1st RTR and have done a bit of reading (and training). I have noticed a lot of guys wearing tracksuit type of pants, are these waterproof or just for warmth? Are they a vital part of your kit?

Hi Guys/Girls

I'm preparing for my 1st RTR and have done a bit of reading (and training). I have noticed a lot of guys wearing tracksuit type of pants, are these waterproof or just for warmth? Are they a vital part of your kit?

Yes, in case of rain snow and in case of extreme cold and in case you end up sleeping out. See rules, Compulsory Kit List section 14.6

• Helmet, to be worn at all times while riding
  • Official, current number board as supplied by the Race Organizer, attached to the front of the bike and visible at all times
  • Light, front, white
  • Light, rear, red
  • Shell layer, top
  • Shell layer, legs
  • Base layer head
  • Base layer top
  • Base layer legs
  • Space blanket or similar
  • Phone
  • Tracker and charger/spare batteries as supplied by the Race Organizer
  • First Aid Kit
  • Any essential/chronic medicine required by the rider that is not on the WADA Prohibited List ( WADA Prohibited List 2017 )

It gets properly cold.. We recorded minus 12 on year in the snow and that is before you are wet and freewheeling down a 20 minutes mountain pass...I can highly recommend neoprene gloves and socks. They are about the only thing that keeps your hands from falling off