Lack of Courtesy by 170km riders during Enjoy One Tonner 2017.

C1 Fracture

Dear Hubbers

So the One Tonner was windier than expected and the 109 km riders started later and in larger bunches too. I think the marshalls botched this one but that's okay...

So on my way back with the R302 / R304, I have seen some horrific riding by the faster 170 km riders. At some point a guy was pushed off the road and onto the gravel. Another was pushed into a rain channel and some brushed passed me in their efforts to keep up - at a very unsafe clearing distance.

I understand the need for the peloton to move, and hence staying as deep into the yellow apron is what most appeared to be doing - but sjoe...  :w00t:

What happened to courtesy at these events? Let us not forget that we are "brothers / sisters" on the road...

As for the dude that fell at c/o Helshoogte / Simondium Rd - I hope you're okay. Get well soon! :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

The biker marshal who tried to prevent the head-on collision between motorists on Simondium Road; thanks for having our backs :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Oh, for those boys and girls who met the mole-snake  :eek:

My appeal: Be more considerate towards the slower riders please.

Stay safe, Stay visible!

Edited by C1 Fracture

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya, being one of the isolated riders into the wind, I have to agree... there were a few moments that I feared my bars would get swiped. Almost felt like a punishment pass at times. There's lots to be lost in these cases and little to be gained - other than someone thinking you're a d!ckhead.

I must give credit to the marshalls though as on a few occasions one came past warning of a large train approaching.

I dont know how many times a almost hit the 109 back markers on way back

The speed difference was massive and you still riding along and you just see bunch scatter to miss a slow rider.

I Think it would have been alot better if we were allowed to ride in the road, not all forced into yellow lane the whole time. I had to pass slow guys buy actually going in the grass at one point, simply no other safe options

One can probably blame orginizers, but not much one could do except for full road closures..

I do feel for slower back markers, but can promise you that was not intentionally beeing uncurtious, It was big focus to miss everyone and not get dropped in the process. there was simply no space for slow and faster people in the yellow lane.

I do feel for slower back markers, but can promise you that was not intentionally beeing uncurtious, It was big focus to miss everyone and not get dropped in the process. there was simply no space for slow and faster people in the yellow lane.

Yes faster groups passing slower short distance riders an eternal problem at events. Even worse on the R302 which is not safe for passing with kamakaze motorists racing from behind.

Think it is something the PPA could work on, should not be impossible to find a solution.

Look I think this courtesy thing cuts both ways.  When we started passing the 109km guys, there was enough space in the yellow apron for side by side riding.

With the overall awareness of the race atmosphere created with the motorists through the signs and shear number of participants, it is really possible to safely practice a side by side approach to this problem.

Fast groups form a single file, just inside the yellow line, with slow riders also forming a single file on the fringe.

Then a courteous "on your right" call by the front rider of the faster single file group will allow the slower rider to "brace" him/herself, so as to not be surprised. Then, an encouraging comment and a thank you by the last rider in that passing group will go a long way as to keep things friendly.

Why is this so difficult a practice?

Look I think this courtesy thing cuts both ways.  When we started passing the 109km guys, there was enough space in the yellow apron for side by side riding.

With the overall awareness of the race atmosphere created with the motorists through the signs and shear number of participants, it is really possible to safely practice a side by side approach to this problem.

Fast groups form a single file, just inside the yellow line, with slow riders also forming a single file on the fringe.

Then a courteous "on your right" call by the front rider of the faster single file group will allow the slower rider to "brace" him/herself, so as to not be surprised. Then, an encouraging comment and a thank you by the last rider in that passing group will go a long way as to keep things friendly.

It shouldn't be difficult.

The problem often came in where the slower 109km riders were riding 3 abreast and the difference in speed as we came to pass (in single file or 2 by 2) was really quite staggering.  Trying to avoid 3 abreast riders while trying to stay on the wheel so as not to get dropped in the wind and simultaneously avoid the cars was no small feat.

Any lack of courtesy by the 170km riders was not intentional, but the slower 109km riders (those that were riding 3 abreast) should also consider that riding 3 abreast made it nearly impossible for the 170km faster riders to pass safely.

Edited by Shell Belle

That difference in speed is not noticeable at first. I mean was in my chops so definitely not "feeling fast" into the wind. Then the next thing you know you right up to their wheel. 3 abreast if you a barkmarker is not wise into the wind anyway.

But otherwise, a lekker race, some cars are extremely thin on patience

Whoever planned the routes must have foreseen that this would happen. Kind of irresponsible route planning in my opinion. There were two safe alternatives for this: Only have one distance and keep the event a bit smaller. Or have the two distances to open the event to a broader mass but then plan the routes that they don't interfere. 

The chosen alternative is the cheap, easy and unsafe way out, leading to casual riders upset and  racers at risk of ending their season early...not fair to both....

Because in the fast bunch there are 5 okes hammering on the front ripping the race apart okes scrambling to get onto wheels, okes passing dead wheels and everyone fighting to hold on. Yes in an ideal world we can all pass side by side, but when there is a South Easter pumping and people are on their limit this will happen. 

Dont get me started on slower riders at the DC riding 3 abreast.

Whoever planned the routes must have foreseen that this would happen. Kind of irresponsible route planning in my opinion. There were two safe alternatives for this: Only have one distance and keep the event a bit smaller. Or have the two distances to open the event to a broader mass but then plan the routes that they don't interfere. 

The chosen alternative is the cheap, easy and unsafe way out, leading to casual riders upset and  racers at risk of ending their season early...not fair to both....

They had 3 route options, 170, 109 and 40. They had the 40km go a different direction and leave first as they would then all be off the road when the 109 and 170 riders would come past. 

They are trying to grow the sport and offer distances for all. I also found when passing 109km riders that a lot of the time the reason for the close calls would be due to 109km riders trying to drift and sit on the 170km group as well. Goes both ways.  

I did the last 25km with the 109km group, even without being passed there was a lot of wheel rubbing and near misses. I dont think the 170km groups passing were the biggest issue.

I love this! :clap:  :clap:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Because in the fast bunch there are 5 okes hammering on the front ripping the race apart okes scrambling to get onto wheels, okes passing dead wheels and everyone fighting to hold on. Yes in an ideal world we can all pass side by side, but when there is a South Easter pumping and people are on their limit this will happen. 

Dont get me started on slower riders at the DC riding 3 abreast.

It gets worse when the slower riders from the short distance end up in the working group of the bunch and then panic when they realise that they are going to be on the front soon and might actually have to pull. Then they drop the wheel on purpose and leave the next guy hanging.

Had a guy who did it several times and had to ask him to drop out of the working group.

It shouldn't be difficult.

The problem often came in where the slower 109km riders were riding 3 abreast and the difference in speed as we came to pass (in single file or 2 by 2) was really quite staggering.  Trying to avoid 3 abreast riders while trying to stay on the wheel so as not to get dropped in the wind and simultaneously avoid the cars was no small feat.

Any lack of courtesy by the 170km riders was not intentional, but the slower 109km riders (those that were riding 3 abreast) should also consider that riding 3 abreast made it nearly impossible for the 170km faster riders to pass safely.

Maybe I wasn't clear, that is why I said the courtesy cuts both ways. 

The OP started by calling out the horrific riding of the 170km. It is why I said "both ways". The slower 109km guys CANNOT be side by side (chatting) and the blame the faster 170km guys from being impatient.

But also, the 170km guys cannot be side by side trying to shelter from the wind in the best possible way whilst passing these back markers.

Growing the sport and making it enjoyable for all skill levels requires a bit of common decency and accomodation from all.

Maybe at the merging points the officials can do a bit more to educate the slower riders, yes, but I have found that a quick friendly piece of advice whilst passing can go a long way. Remember the W,X,Y,Z guys are generally new to the sport and the intricacies of the peleton

But then again, I do not pass them at a speed differential of 10km/h+ like the Savages, so it is easier for me to chat with them and I appreciate that from of the field gunning for the podium it is more difficult. I guess we can just keep on trying

Edited by daniemare

It gets worse when the slower riders from the short distance end up in the working group of the bunch and then panic when they realise that they are going to be on the front soon and might actually have to pull. Then they drop the wheel on purpose and leave the next guy hanging.

Had a guy who did it several times and had to ask him to drop out of the working group.

The third wheel blessers? Saw plenty of them on the weekend.