Yo-Yo

Does someone know why that somethings are more expensive on CRC if you are in SA and cheaper if you are in the UK? Surely if an item is getting shipped here then it's going to be minus the VAT? 

I have been looking at a Mattoc Fork and the price for it with a destination of SA is: £489 and when you set the delivery destination to UK it's £349. 

I understand that things like Rockshox forks and Sram can't be shipped here but I have not experienced price increases for being overseas. I was sure that it should be cheaper as the price should be quoted minus VAT on the UK price. 

I have also experienced this on some hydration back packs as well.

post-63184-0-34364900-1509434169_thumb.png

post-63184-0-75905900-1509434176_thumb.png

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In addition, don't order anything you need on time. I ordered a month or so before Berg n Bush and paid the extra pounds for the expedited 3-5 day delivery. They attempted to deliver last week and I had to 'return to sender' as I have had to buy all the stuff here. 3-5 day delivery is really 6-10 week delivery

I have picked this up previously....as understand a local online store is supplied by CRC and the reason for the price increase is to get/keep the prices in line with what we can get locally for said store.

I have picked this up previously....as understand a local online store is supplied by CRC and the reason for the price increase is to get/keep the prices in line with what we can get locally for said store.

And which local online store is this?

I'd be surprised if there is any local guys in SA who are doing much with Manitou. I've had loads of calls with the local agents and they don't have a clue. The don't have any spares and couldn't actually tell any prices or numbers for Mattoc in the country. 

It seems that it is a good idea to buy and have delivered to a freight forwarder in the UK to send here as you will possible cover your costs in the savings made and you'll also save the random DHL fee as well. 

Have heard same... wrt to a local online store being supplied by them. Keeping the pricing in line might then make sense. Never seen the price being adjusted for our region. 

How the heck can the UK price be cheaper and still include vat at 20%?

Have you set your account location as being in Sa, that may affect the charge even if the item is specified to being shipped to Sa, if your country of origin ie where you live is set as UK they may be obliged to still charge vat.

Edited by Skylark

AramexGlobalShopper is probably your friend in this case.

Personal experience has shown them to be far superior to DHL Express at a fraction of the cost when it comes to mail forwarders.

How the heck can the UK price be cheaper and still include vat at 20%?

Have you set your account location as being in Sa, that may affect the charge even if the item is being shipped to Sa if your country of origin, ie where you live is set as UK they may be obliged to still charge vat.

I've used all my shipping addresses in the UK and SA and set viewing locations in both places as well. Really odd and even as a rip off it makes no real sense. 

I'm going to live chat with them later and try to find out the issue. 

I've used all my shipping addresses in the UK and SA and set viewing locations in both places as well. Really odd and even as a rip off it makes no real sense. 

I'm going to live chat with them later and try to find out the issue. 

Would be really interesting to get their take on it.

if you dig a bit online you will find it -I recall reading it when it was announced 2 or 3 years back  and another reader has said the same - I am not here to paint that store in a bad light

It seems that it is a good idea to buy and have delivered to a freight forwarder in the UK to send here as you will possible cover your costs in the savings made and you'll also save the random DHL fee as well. 

AramexGlobalShopper is probably your friend in this case.

Personal experience has shown them to be far superior to DHL Express at a fraction of the cost when it comes to mail forwarders.

But then you pay UK VAT as they see it as a local purchase in UK-terms. If you ship here, VAT is excluded, but then you pay SA duties (VAT, customs etc), but you'd pay this anyway. 

Do your sums before you buy I guess. Also, note that CRC rand prices are NOT based on accurate exchange rates, so caveat emptor

But then you pay UK VAT as they see it as a local purchase in UK-terms. If you ship here, VAT is excluded, but then you pay SA duties (VAT, customs etc), but you'd pay this anyway. 

Do your sums before you buy I guess. Also, note that CRC rand prices are NOT based on accurate exchange rates, so caveat emptor

But that is the point the UK Pierce with VAT is cheaper than the RSA price with out VAT. By 100 pounts or more. 

In this case, the Ex VAT price is £140 more.