Yo-Yo

i have a 50% off aramex global shopper invoice, i'll pm to you.

open aramex account, free with fnb/i think the hub has a voucher too

buy crc,

ship to aramex,

insert 50% off shipping

wait 2-3 days

pay aramex for duties and shipping

wait 3-4 days

parcel in your hands

Thank you very much that is very generous. I will look at that service for future purchases it looks very good. I think for now I will wait a couple of weeks and see if I can get space in my friends luggage.  

Edited by Yo-yo

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another option in terms of the reasons why is that the "extra discounts" could be for UK / EU countries only. IE extra special discount locally only. 

That could explain it, and would be the simplest answer. 

But - Aramex GS for the win. 

Have you tried logging in via a VPN service? If i change to London then it gives me GBP prices.

It wont fix your shipping or VAT issues but it will show you the differences.

Its likely that the bike suppliers are forcing them to normalize their pricing as they are starting to take a very large chunk of the market. I would say this isn't  a CRC thing - or its not likely to be. Its a contractual thing with large suppliers to protect them margins and globalize prices...

Its likely that the bike suppliers are forcing them to normalize their pricing as they are starting to take a very large chunk of the market. I would say this isn't  a CRC thing - or its not likely to be. Its a contractual thing with large suppliers to protect them margins and globalize prices...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_fixing

Edited by Mongoose!

Have you tried logging in via a VPN service? If i change to London then it gives me GBP prices.

It wont fix your shipping or VAT issues but it will show you the differences.

You can get the UK prices just by changing your location on the site. Pretty sure if you VPN'd and then ordered then when it came to check out and you selected and SA address then you'd be charged SA prices wouldn't you? I heard that CRC had bought one of the big german sites as well so there might be more of this happening. 

I've bought it at the UK price now, have chosen the one with the 2018 colouring / black leg as it was the cheapest and hopefully one amazing fork once I get it here. I don't think there I much locally (new) for R6300 that will compare. 

Meanwhile the top brass are sitting on a secluded private island enjoying the life! Perfect strategy, just market the product as *for cyclist*/*cycling*.

Freaken well played...

It would be nice not to jump through hoops and make a plan just to spend money and increase profits just because you are in a different country. I get our weak rand isn't their issue but come on, don't just f@@k is because it's us. Here.

There are a lot of loyal customers in SA who have contributed a lot of money over the years, is it too much to expect the same experience and service as those spending the same money in Europe or the U.K. Kind of turns the knife a bit.

Isn't CRC an Irish company, and therefore when shipping to GB not bound to collect GB taxes? 

Then it'd be a blanket thing not the difference in various items that are showing up 20 - 30% more just for being based here. Not too sure on the whole EU / UK single market but with brexit ooming and the the 'leaver's' belief that that 'rest of the world is waiting to trade' then you might not want to be shafting them in the lead up to that glorious moment as you welcome them with open arms wallets 

Edited by Yo-yo

It would be nice not to jump through hoops and make a plan just to spend money and increase profits just because you are in a different country. I get our weak rand isn't their issue but come on, don't just f@@k is because it's us. Here.

There are a lot of loyal customers in SA who have contributed a lot of money over the years, is it too much to expect the same experience and service as those spending the same money in Europe or the U.K. Kind of turns the knife a bit.

I was a longstanding, loyal CRC customer. No longer (after being stuffed around by them when I needed stuff urgently overseas)

Worst is that as the market declines, they are swallowing the likes of Bike24.

I saw this morning that the rate of bike shop closures is as high ( or higher) than it was in the 60's ????

Isn't CRC an Irish company, and therefore when shipping to GB not bound to collect GB taxes? 

Northern Ireland, part of UK.

For CRC it is all just business - you charge what you can in each territory you supply into. You see it all over the place with other items here where we get ripped compared to European/US prices - all they are doing is capitalising on this.

As the consumer it is 'your duty' to vote with your feet and shop where you get the best value for money - this way you send the message to CRC and others that this practice sucks and we won't support you gouging us 'because they can'.

They have been doing this territory specific pricing for a number of years already and as a result not enjoyed my support, because 1. You can now almost always find it cheaper elsewhere and 2. I don't support their ethics in doing this.

If you feel the same way do the same thing - you'll send them the right message and save money

(Pity about Bike24 getting gobbled up: see comments form other around the world at the bottom of this article: http://road.cc/content/news/231105-wigglecrc-reportedly-set-buy-online-german-retailer-bike24 )

Ha, ha! I bought one of the Mattoc Pro 2s off the back of the cunning destination information in this thread. Got it at a steal of R6500  (delivered to my UK address) as opposed to the 'discounted' and VAT free SA destination price of R9000. 

I've changed direction on my project so I was going to return it for a refund but if any rubber wants it at what I paid for it and save a hunk of change then let me know. I'm going to collect it either this month or January. 

Edited by hellocolour

• 6 months later...