is a tv a tv... or are there TEEVEEs?!?

L.T.G

I remember as a lightie having a telefunken like your first pic. It used to slowly loose its tune and one of us had to get up quickly and push the fine tune button for a second or two and then carry on watching.

You just made me think of those *** old bunny ears that you had to fiddle with for hours. You'd get a perfect image, until you let go of the little buggers.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well.... I'm not using any the moment  (have never used /watched a smart tv)

My Apple tv's plugged in but I haven't used NF or anything else yet..

But I'd like the facility there if I ever do want it.

I've been going what's been advised here, narrowing down what I'd like and I'm see what deals happen next Friday.

I'll be away , So my purchase will have to be online.

So far I'm looking at these two

in no order of preference 

https://www.takealot.com/samsung-55-inch-h6400-series-6-smart-full-hd-3d-tv/PLID32848042?gclid=CjwKCAiAxarQBRAmEiwA6YcGKAdJyLayrm5hx5ZBsAzlavd6RHln_HxNYlZEZGvBjhrpSUwcRYF81BoCNIIQAvD_BwE

https://www.takealot.com/samsung-55-uhd-flat-led-smart-tv/PLID45213939?gclid=CjwKCAiAxarQBRAmEiwA6YcGKDg8rbBq-t089Q7i6rGX9TSSZDCZk0svprLqtanjLaN2orgaIzoIJxoCyVcQAvD_BwE

If it was my money, I'd take the second one, here's why.

I don't care about the 3D or Smart View on the first one.

I'd want the higher resolution supported by the second. (3840 x 2160 on the second vs 1920 x 1080 on the first)

If it was my money, I'd take the second one, here's why.

I don't care about the 3D or Smart View on the first one.

I'd want the higher resolution supported by the second. (3840 x 2160 on the second vs 1920 x 1080 on the first)

Plus 1

3D was a gimmick to sell more TV's. Take the second one.

(3840 x 2160  )

So if there's a good deal on a 65" with a res like this, you'd recommend that then?

^_^  Was literally just looking at this too :thumbup:

Thanks 

Hisense also offer a 4 year service guarantee as opposed to Samsung's 2 year. from Makro

3 years from Takealot

Go and have a look at Tafelberg, they sell Hisense and they will match any price. 

I bought from the one in Alberton and got great service from them.

ROODEPOORT - GAUTENG

Contact Details

TEL: 011 475 1515

FAX: 011 475 0618

EMAIL: roodepoort@tafelberg.co.za

ADDRESS: Shop 3, Hillfox Value Centre c/o Hendrick Potgieter Road & Albert Street, Weltevreden Park, Roodepoort, 1709

Go and have a look at Tafelberg, they sell Hisense and they will match any price. 

I bought from the one in Alberton and got great service from them.

ROODEPOORT - GAUTENG

Contact Details

TEL: 011 475 1515

FAX: 011 475 0618

EMAIL: roodepoort@tafelberg.co.za

ADDRESS: Shop 3, Hillfox Value Centre c/o Hendrick Potgieter Road & Albert Street, Weltevreden Park, Roodepoort, 1709

Thanks Escapee

I'm an AV-phile and can say *lots* about this, but unfortunately I don't have time (sorry).

Single point of advice: Refresh rate trumps resolution every single time.

I've been through some of the specs, I'm missing this.

What should I be looking for?

A refresh rate of not less than.......?

Check out Dion Wired. They seem to have the best prices at the moment and are willing to price match. 

As to the TV, it's so confusing. I am in a similar boat with a similar budget and leaning towards one of last year's ULED Samsung 65" TVs for around R23k from Dion.

• 2 years later...

I have been lazily looking for a year or so now(those lightning strikes seem to be getting closer to my house :ph34r: ) and because I have a sound system that isn't suited to a curved tv I would need to go for flat.

But those Hisense TVs seem very good value and for the size I am looking at its hard to spot any difference between the more expensive big brothers from samsung, lg and sony.

So this was 3 years ago and it never materialized but on Saturday my TV decided to pass away(RIP 8 y/o LED FHD). It was a Sony Bravia. Once it died, it was giving 5 red flashing lights at the bottom so googled that and Sony have red flashing lights as error codes. Mine meant a few things, non of which could be fixed by me. A tv guy came and picked it up on Monday and confirmed what one of the options I found online being the T-con board. Have no idea what that does but he quoted my R2530 for repair. Told him to bring it back. Would rather pay a bit extra and get a new tv. So my problem is, I am currently on a drastically reduced salary so as much as I would love to go and drop 10k plus on a tv, I can not justify it right now. I am borrowing a spare tv from my folks but it's from my Dads home gym and he uses it almost daily so although he said I can keep it as long as I need, I don't want to keep it for ever. My dead tv was a 40" and I would prefer not to go smaller. I reckon I can probably find at least 5k in the tight budget, maybe a little more if I am lucky.

Now My question is, are the "smaller" brands a waste of money or are these things all the same inside? 

I have already looked at a few retail stores and I see Hisense offer a 4 year Guarantee whereas other seems to be 2. I also saw a diamond for cheap but it only has 1 HDMI port and I need at least 2, so that ruled one like that out. I also need the fibre optic port for my sound bar. I get a 15% discount at Makro so that needs to be taken into account.

It doesn't need to be smart but sport needs to look good on it!!!!!!

Any advice................

TIA