is a tv a tv... or are there TEEVEEs?!?

L.T.G

After almost 13 years of  flawless service from my first ever 4 ton, 42" flat screen LG tv...

I'm thinking of upgrading.

But man... it's confusing!! 

LED.... OLED...Curved, Straight... UHD... so many of words...

I guess, I'd be prepared to spend up to 20K, IF it it's justified.. but do I need to? I'd prefer letting go of 10 to mid teens worth of ZARs

Makro's my usual retailer of choice, mostly hassle free situations when there're product problems.  

I'm no brand bitch, but I guess I feel better about buying a  Samsung and LG.

Are the HiSenses etc as good?  

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After almost 13 years of flawless service from my first ever 4 ton, 42" flat screen LG tv...

I guess, I'd be prepared to spend up to 20K, IF it it's justified.. but do I need to? I'd prefer letting go of 10 to mid teens worth of ZARs

Makro's my usual retailer of choice, mostly hassle free situations when there're product problems.

I'm no brand bitch, but I guess I feel better about buying a Samsung and LG.

I had a 32" Samsung for a while, then swapped it for a slightly bigger Hisense. From my side, there's nothing wrong with Hisense, although my next TV will be another Samsung, then I'm thinking of keeping the Hisense for my future games room.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I had a 32" Samsung for a while, then swapped it for a slightly bigger Hisense. From my side, there's nothing wrong with Hisense, although my next TV will be another Samsung, then I'm thinking of keeping the Hisense for my future games room.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Samsung own Hisense. You will notice that Samsung no longer have series 3 and 4 TV's and that is because Hisense now make the lower series TV's. Samsung TV's now start at series 5

After almost 13 years of flawless service from my first ever 4 ton, 42" flat screen LG tv...

I'm no brand bitch, but I guess I feel better about buying a Samsung and LG.

Hey.. this is true too many options it's overwhelming.. I wanted to replace our TV last year but I eventually gave up because I got moedeloos.

The kids have a really nice Samsung in the games room..it's smaller but much better quality than our cheap AIM the tax man bought us 10 years ago[emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Samsung own Hisense. You will notice that Samsung no longer have series 3 and 4 TV's and that is because Hisense now make the lower series TV's. Samsung TV's now start at series 5

good to know... thanks

But now... what do you get from a Samsung series 5 that a top of the range Hisense won't give you?

I was in a similar boat some time ago. However on a tighter budget. Ended up going for a Hisense HD-Ready. I have paired it up with my spare laptop, so no need for a smart TV. At around R6k, if memory serves, I got a nice big 55" for a bargain. On normal day to day use I do not need more HD than I already have, but it does not do Blue ray DVD's justice, but neither does my sound system so not much lost there...

PS. Don't discount Takealot, see they have a nice price on a Samsung 55". 

https://www.takealot.com/samsung-55-uhd-flat-led-smart-tv/PLID45213939

*Edit: IF I had R20k to spend on a TV, I would go for the Samsung 55" from takealot, add a few R and get myself a nice sound setup from HEOS

Edited by Letum911

After almost 13 years of  flawless service from my first ever 4 ton, 42" flat screen LG tv...

I'm no brand bitch, but I guess I feel better about buying a  Samsung and LG.

This is what we got about a month ago

https://www.takealot.com/hisense-55-smart-uled-flat-tv/PLID42333466?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8Pakk_291wIVbbftCh3ntAf-EAQYAyABEgITmvD_BwE

Extremely happy with it, picture is brilliant

But you are right, overwhelming options out there

Narrow your search down(I know its tough) and then keep an eagle eye on Takealot. If need be go to makro and have a look at them but once you know what you want and you prepared to wait, takealot will have it on special(provided its one they sell of course) If you are on multiply it's even cheaper.

I have been lazily looking for a year or so now(those lightning strikes seem to be getting closer to my house :ph34r: ) and because I have a sound system that isn't suited to a curved tv I would need to go for flat.

But those Hisense TVs seem very good value and for the size I am looking at its hard to spot any difference between the more expensive big brothers from samsung, lg and sony.

good to know... thanks

But now... what do you get from a Samsung series 5 that a top of the range Hisense won't give you?

Newer tech in the monitors basically. But from a quality perspective, the same service. The main advancements in Monitors is the range of colours and or brightness/contrast and not the amount of pixels you can squeeze into a screen(So not UHD). Don't worry about 4k or UHD too much unless the TV you buy is UHD in anyway. Most devices and content suppliers don't support it yet. A good 6 or 7 series samsung screen as large as your budget can buy you is what I would personally go for.

Edited by l4y3rcake

Narrow your search down(I know its tough) and then keep an eagle eye on Takealot. If need be go to makro and have a look at them but once you know what you want and you prepared to wait, takealot will have it on special(provided its one they sell of course) If you are on multiply it's even cheaper.

I have been lazily looking for a year or so now(those lightning strikes seem to be getting closer to my house :ph34r: ) and because I have a sound system that isn't suited to a curved tv I would need to go for flat.

But those Hisense TVs seem very good value and for the size I am looking at its hard to spot any difference between the more expensive big brothers from samsung, lg and sony.

another way to go is to keep an eye on guzzle

https://www.guzzle.co.za/specials/list/electronics/tv/

I’ve only ever watched three units where I’ve lived (year in army excluded)...

Living at my parents (1979 model, I think).

cc920eca3794b37bc37548aebce7c8a4.jpg

After moving out (spent 7 years without TV) late 90’s to 2008 (51cm)

e440f530e49ae29e71e72605d08b2503.jpg

Current (32”) - 2008 model until today

0e23018d24d2427b5dd2d475b8b839a4.jpg

Will keep the current one until it packs up... then replace it with something similar in size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are smart capabilities important to you?

I helped a friend through this hassle a few months back.

We eventually settled on a Samsung because of the available apps.

Not sure if it is still the case, but, for example, HiSense did not have a Netflix app.

Are smart capabilities important to you?

I helped a friend through this hassle a few months back.

We eventually settled on a Samsung because of the available apps.

Not sure if it is still the case, but, for example, HiSense did not have a Netflix app.

Well.... I'm not using any the moment  (have never used /watched a smart tv)

My Apple tv's plugged in but I haven't used NF or anything else yet..

But I'd like the facility there if I ever do want it.

I've been going what's been advised here, narrowing down what I'd like and I'm see what deals happen next Friday.

I'll be away , So my purchase will have to be online.

So far I'm looking at these two

in no order of preference 

https://www.takealot.com/samsung-55-inch-h6400-series-6-smart-full-hd-3d-tv/PLID32848042?gclid=CjwKCAiAxarQBRAmEiwA6YcGKAdJyLayrm5hx5ZBsAzlavd6RHln_HxNYlZEZGvBjhrpSUwcRYF81BoCNIIQAvD_BwE

https://www.takealot.com/samsung-55-uhd-flat-led-smart-tv/PLID45213939?gclid=CjwKCAiAxarQBRAmEiwA6YcGKDg8rbBq-t089Q7i6rGX9TSSZDCZk0svprLqtanjLaN2orgaIzoIJxoCyVcQAvD_BwE

I’ve only ever watched three units where I’ve lived (year in army excluded)...

Living at my parents (1979 model, I think).

cc920eca3794b37bc37548aebce7c8a4.jpg

After moving out (spent 7 years without TV) late 90’s to 2008 (51cm)

e440f530e49ae29e71e72605d08b2503.jpg

Current (32”) - 2008 model until today

0e23018d24d2427b5dd2d475b8b839a4.jpg

Will keep the current one until it packs up... then replace it with something similar in size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember as a lightie having a telefunken like your first pic. It used to slowly loose its tune and one of us had to get up quickly and push the fine tune button for a second or two and then carry on watching.