Cycling events the new shopping ground of thieves.

canadonis

Its with great sadness that I've read about so many people who have lost their prized possessions at these events. We do everything we can to protect ourselves against theft while at our homes yet for many there is this false sense of comfort and security post an event.

I recall (cringing) how often I'd leave my bike at the then argus bike park with very little controls in place or left the bike on the cars bike rack with nothing more than a bungee cord securing it yet felt safe that it was 'all cyclists'

Times unfortunately have changed as these events have now become the shopping grounds of thieves who probably are fellow cyclists, sorry I use the term rather loosely, who prey on our sense of security and lowered guard. Yes I know it's a small percentage in relation to the number of ppl entering these events but to the person whose bike has been stolen it represents 100% and significant.

What must be done about it

I suggest the event organisers needs to have more stringent controls in place even go as far as the security contractors being liable for the theft.

Personally going forward my bike is going to go from under my bum onto my car and immediately going home. Yes it's sad as there nothing more rewarding that catching up with mates but I wouldn't be able to relax wondering whether my bike will still be at the bike park.

To those who have had bikes stolen I feel for you, what's the hub communities views on combatting this scourge!!

I suggest the event organisers needs to have more stringent controls in place even go as far as the security contractors being liable for the theft.

This is not realistic.  It's like saying you want to hold ADT (etc) responsible for a house robbery...

(But I do agree that its a problem...)

"Times unfortunately have changed as these events have now become the shopping grounds of thieves who probably are fellow cyclists,"

Mostly not but they do dress up as fellow cyclists and blend in. We had an attempted theft off the back of my mates bakkie at the 2015 Origin of Trails in Stellenbosch. Luckily the car guard was wide awake as we had spoken to him specifically and asked him to please watch the bikes. Both the perps were caught and both were dressed in full cycling kit.

The modus operandi is for them to park in the bike parking lot, normally in a open back single cab bakkie and remain in the vehicle to scope the scene out. When they spot easy pickings they simply spring into action. Even when caught they apologized ever so politely and said they had mistaken my mates bakkie for their own and thought it was their bikes. The fact that they never had bikes and were in a single cab Isuzu and not a double cab Toyota was interesting. Assholes !!!

"Times unfortunately have changed as these events have now become the shopping grounds of thieves who probably are fellow cyclists,"

Mostly not but they do dress up as fellow cyclists and blend in. We had an attempted theft off the back of my mates bakkie at the 2015 Origin of Trails in Stellenbosch. Luckily the car guard was wide awake as we had spoken to him specifically and asked him to please watch the bikes. Both the perps were caught and both were dressed in full cycling kit.

The modus operandi is for them to park in the bike parking lot, normally in a open back single cab bakkie and remain in the vehicle to scope the scene out. When they spot easy pickings they simply spring into action. Even when caught they apologized ever so politely and said they had mistaken my mates bakkie for their own and thought it was their bikes. The fact that they never had bikes and were in a single cab Isuzu and not a double cab Toyota was interesting. Assholes !!!

A severe beating would have opened up their eyes to the error of their ways and maybe even persuaded them not to make that "mistake" again.

A severe beating would have opened up their eyes to the error of their ways and maybe even persuaded them not to make that "mistake" again.

Sadly those days are gone, especially in a public place. Watching the cops load them up and seeing them sh!tting themselves realizing that they won't be getting away with this one did however give me an immense feeling of satisfaction.

Unfortunately what you say is true.

I think bike parks make it easy for thugs to take bikes.

I hate leaving my bike at any bike park. Was sort of forced to leave it there this year at the Shova Bike Park and it was still there when I went to fetch it.

Did see a guy argue with a security guard who wanted to enter the hospitality section of Shova because he's bike had been stolen from the bike park last year.

Also saw some posts from Carnival City Race where thugs had stolen wheels from bikes that were on racks.

Sad situation but it's the situation in SA at the moment.

Every event i have been to so far there have been bikes stolen. Even the out of town events, where i generally feel more chilled and under the illusion that surely way out there, in the beautiful surroundings and fresh air things will be more lekker. Now, after riding, wherever i go my bike stays with me or within sight. If i can't do so in the hospitality area or find place in some shade outside to sit with it, i simply load my bike onto my car and head home. No argument. No fuss. I don't feel angry or upset about it, it is what it is. As much as i would love to stick around and soak up the vibe, I simply cannot afford to risk losing a bike over it.

FWIW, i have returned to my car after an event to find my bike rack had been cut off my tow bar, luckily that time my bike was with me, so they just stole the rack.

I dont understand how bikes get stolen at events.

I arrive, take bike off bike rack or out of bakkie.

I push said bike to starting place and meet mates, leave bike with them, take a leak. 

Race event, bike stays with me the whole time hopefully. 

After event, obtain medal and a coke. High five mates afterwards. 

Sit on grassy area with bikes stacked to one another, have a coffee. Talk nonsense, take bike back to car, go home. write race report. 

Never does the bike leave my sight.

Previously I rode around with my trusty combination lock with which i would secure my wheels and bike to the rack, till someone showed me how you can unlock it within 30 sec without knowing the combination.  Was an eye opener and now I need to look for a new method to secure bikes.  

What do you guys use?  Key system, bluetooth based locks, etc?

Be a frightful shame if they were never able to ride a bicycle ever again. What a pity that'd be hey?

Edited by lechatnoir