Cycling events the new shopping ground of thieves.

canadonis

You need to get better at convincing your mates to start doing races. 

Or brush up on those social skills and make friends quickly  :P

Previously I rode around with my trusty combination lock with which i would secure my wheels and bike to the rack, till someone showed me how you can unlock it within 30 sec without knowing the combination.  Was an eye opener and now I need to look for a new method to secure bikes.  

What do you guys use?  Key system, bluetooth based locks, etc?

Can they seriously break those cumbersome combination locks that you get with the 8-10mm thick two meter cable?

Can they seriously break those cumbersome combination locks that you get with the 8-10mm thick two meter cable?

Yes. They don't cut the cable, the lock itself is the weak point.

Yep, I have seen it done in under 30 seconds there is a simple trick that allows you to unlock it...

The problem though is that at some races such as the Argus you can't go into the social area with your bike.

The security at the bike parks always seems secure in the sense that my bike gets a sticker with a number and I get a sticker with the corresponding number on it. If it's a match, I get my bike back. Seems easy.

So stealing a bike from the bike park they either have to duplicate the numbers somehow OR

they have to take the sticker off their own bike and stick it on my bike to steal it, thus having to sacrifice their own bike in the process?

But I always try to keep my bike with me for as long as possible and make new friends to keep an eye on my bike if I'm running to the bar or the loo or the loo as a result of going to the bar too often...

947 I noticed a guy in security uniform at each porto loo cluster at the start venue and also walking round the parking areas, this was in addition to the usual bib car guards. 

I usually have my bike with me. On occasion I will lock it to my locked bike rack with a cable lock and the lock on the bike rack. It amazes me how many still leave bikes unattended at a finish chute railing or against a tree while the owner is elsewhere. Fortunately those bikes will disappear before mine. Criminals are risk adverse and hit the softest easiest target first. If they can get through 2 locks and not be spotted while tampering behind my car, they are wasting their time stealing bikes, they then should be in government where the real thieves operate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cable lock + 2 padlock

I usually have my bike with me. On occasion I will lock it to my locked bike rack with a cable lock and the lock on the bike rack. It amazes me how many still leave bikes unattended at a finish chute railing or against a tree while the owner is elsewhere. Fortunately those bikes will disappear before mine. Criminals are risk adverse and hit the softest easiest target first. If they can get through 2 locks and not be spotted while tampering behind my car, they are wasting their time stealing bikes, they then should be in government where the real thieves operate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Exactly this and............make sure your bike is on the rack first with your mate's on the outside :whistling:  

We need a high lookout point at races manned by a sniper and silencer on his rifle.

Thats how angry this makes me .

Weedeater to the wedding vegetables anyone?

Archived