sunrace MTB derailleur UPDATED!! 1x12

Allrounder

I saw on facebook the upgrade kit goes for R3200. 

So when I do go 1x12, this will be the option that I will consider. I will also be throwing on a set of Bravvos brakes......

Please keep me updated on your experience!!

Remember guys and girls sunrace have been around for ages I had sunrace on 1 of my bikes back in school days 20+ years ago. Though they are in the cheaper price range they can still make good quality parts for the price obviously there will be penalties like weight but for the weekend warrior it will work like a shifter, derailleur ect.

My experience: half the price of Shimano on the cassettes, and last twice as long. Got just over 6000 kays on my 46-11 cassette this year so far. 

Very happy!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried matching the sunrace MZ shifter with a Shimano 11spd rear derailleur?

Found an interesting piece in a review stating you could turn an xt 11spd into 12spd by changing the shifter cassette and chain?

Another very interesting point about the shifter is that SunRace claim it is compatible with Shimano 11-speed mountain bike rear derailleurs. The theory being that if you already own a Shimano 1×11 drivetrain, you could potentially purchase the SunRace shifter, the 11-50t cassette and a 12-speed chain, and you’ve got yourself an extra gear without having to upgrade the entire drivetrain to 12-speed. Obviously that’s not something Shimano would recommend, and we have no idea what the shifting would be like – our guess is the rear mech would need some kind of GoatLink type device to reorient the upper jockey wheel to make the leap up to the big 50t sprocket.

here is article in question.

https://singletrackworld.com/2018/04/exclusive-new-1x12-drivetrain-from-sunrace/

Has anyone tried matching the sunrace MZ shifter with a Shimano 11spd rear derailleur?

Found an interesting piece in a review stating you could turn an xt 11spd into 12spd by changing the shifter cassette and chain?

here is article in question.

https://singletrackworld.com/2018/04/exclusive-new-1x12-drivetrain-from-sunrace/

At R3200 for shifter, RD, Cassette and chain, I would maybe use this as a back up in case my RD breaks.

I have been looking at this with interest. 

Can anyone comment on the feel/quality of the shifters at the point of contact? Crispness of the shifts? Smoothness of the shifts?

I'm considering the 1x12 for the fun of it on a planned build, but would be going 1x12 Sunrace instead of then, say 1x11 SLX or XT.

How does this Sunrace kit stack up against SLX and/or XT as these are my only current points of reference.

Can anyone comment on the feel/quality of the shifters at the point of contact? Crispness of the shifts? Smoothness of the shifts?

I'm considering the 1x12 for the fun of it on a planned build, but would be going 1x12 Sunrace instead of then, say 1x11 SLX or XT.

How does this Sunrace kit stack up against SLX and/or XT as these are my only current points of reference.

The reviews all say it stacks up really well.

Reasonably light as well, especially considering the price. It is still brand new on the market som no real long term reviews out, but all early chatter is positive, especially at that price point

• 4 months later...

Not necessarily ultra long term, but it's been on my anthem for a while now and really no major issues to report.

It shifts well, lasts long, and the ratios are great.

One weakness is the design does hinder the very last downshift. There seems to be just a fraction too much material on the arm so no matter your adjustment, it doesn't jump onto the 11 tooth with much vigor. However, the frustration is limited to the work stand. On the trail, I've not missed a shift and it feels great. Apparently you can sub the suntour derailer with a Shimano 10 or 11 speed and they're golden, so if you were to experience any major issue the fix would be simple.

Chain life seems good, shifter feels great.

Not necessarily ultra long term, but it's been on my anthem for a while now and really no major issues to report.

It shifts well, lasts long, and the ratios are great.

One weakness is the design does hinder the very last downshift. There seems to be just a fraction too much material on the arm so no matter your adjustment, it doesn't jump onto the 11 tooth with much vigor. However, the frustration is limited to the work stand. On the trail, I've not missed a shift and it feels great. Apparently you can sub the suntour derailer with a Shimano 10 or 11 speed and they're golden, so if you were to experience any major issue the fix would be simple.

Chain life seems good, shifter feels great.

Apologies for the stupid question, but does this mean that you could effectively get 12 shifts out of a Shimano 10 or 11 spd RD when paired with the 12spd Sunrace shifter?

Apologies for the stupid question, but does this mean that you could effectively get 12 shifts out of a Shimano 10 or 11 spd RD when paired with the 12spd Sunrace shifter?

According to their website, absolutely. The MS derailer being supplied with the CWC package is actually an older 10 speed model anyway. There is a specific 12 speed derailer but I haven't seen one in SA. Not that I'm all over the bike market.

I believe rapide has a ton on shifters that he can supply, not sure though.

• 1 year later...