Wider rims for XC Hardtail

Mintman

Just get the Rapide 25mm rims and rebuild them onto your current hubs...you might even be able to use your original spokes if they are the right length! Really not worth buying a complete wheelset. Rather put that money towards a full sus!

https://www.rapide.co.za/product/rapide-tr29-25-29er-rim/

Don't go wider than a 2.2 on the rear....especially the EXO casing as it stretches more than the LUST casing (thinner)! 

You get axle kits for a lot of the current hubs to convert to different axle standard. For example, my American Classics came stock with QR, 12mm (rear) , 15mm thru (front) and boost axle adaptors. You will be able to use the upgraded wheels with a future bike.

The wide wheels are nice for hardtails - claims are that you can run lower pressure which gives better ride comfort, because the wider rim gives better support to the tyre.

For non-enduro type riding (jumping and rock gardens) consider some Wide Lightnings

I think I might actually go for the Rapide wheelset. It's 25mm but comes with thru axle end caps for future proofing, skewers, etc for over 1k less.

The weight seems similar and I think the Rapide rims may be a little stronger. I'll lose 1mm internal width but that's prob no biggie?

Edited by Mintman

This is probably not what you want to hear:

Before you dump cash, think. What are your long term plans with your bike. If you want to sell it in the near future, know that you will not get your money back. Play around with tire pressures. Try tires with stiffer sidewalls. Like Maxxis UST tires.

Go wider, 24-26mm rims, you'll notice a huge difference with regards to your tubeless experience, the lower pressures you'll be able to run, more comfort and traction as well as a bit of a weight saving.

If you upgrade the hubs too, you'll be able to future-proof your wheels for use on another bike in the future.

This is probably not what you want to hear:

Before you dump cash, think. What are your long term plans with your bike. If you want to sell it in the near future, know that you will not get your money back. Play around with tire pressures. Try tires with stiffer sidewalls. Like Maxxis UST tires.

This ^^^

My 2c. The whole wider rim are better thing is overstated IMO. Many DH racers still run 25mm rims.

I put a 2.35 Rock Razor tyre on my wifes 19mm DT rim. The profile is great and she is loving it. I run the same tyre on 23mm rims. They work beautifully on both. I have 29mm rims on a new bike. It has 2.6 tyres and I'm having to run similar pressures to the smaller tyres on narrower rims which seems to fly in the face of the hype.

All this said, it depends on the kind of riding you do. The above is my experience riding rocky technical trails and some hard cornering. 

By the sound of it, a fatter tyre with better grip and a more comfortable ride would be good for you but I think your money would be better spent trying new tyres as GBU suggested. Maxxis tyres are notoriously narrow. Get a 2.3 Ardent and try that out back (and/or front) for instance. Put the R5/6/8/10k towards a lekker marathon full sus bike. 

I respectfully disagree here. Changing your wheelset makes a big difference to your ride. 

If you were going to change your stock Jalco XCD22 for a wider version of the same rim you would be wasting your money. But you are upgrading to a much better rim, so it's not just the wider thing that is the upgrade, it is the whole package, which will be stiffer and probably lighter - which does make a massive difference to your ride. 

Wheels and tyres are probably the one upgrade that even the most inexperienced of riders will feel a difference on - so I say go for it.

^This and the bike that makes you go faster is the one you think will make you faster.

It might in some cases be a placebo but better wheels are something you can feel the difference in.