2018 PPA CycloSportif

LeoKnight

Do i understand this Cyclosportif thing correctly?

you ride the same course every time, sometime clockwise sometimes anti clock wise?

yes, that's right 

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you ride the same course every time, sometime clockwise sometimes anti clock wise?

Sort of, they have three routes and invert two of them if I'm not mistaken.  The same route wasn't repeated more than once this year. 

Yes, sounds like valves are rattling inside carbon rims

No it's the garmin virb holder. I can't find a way to fix it 

holy crap ...you okes pay money for this "privilege"???!!

How long have you ridden a road bike in the WC?

Basically all road races in the north of the southern suburbs are 3 or 4 varieties of the same routes around Paardeberg. That didn't change when the Cyclosportif's were introduced.

That said you are somewhat right, this route is not that great imo. Basically an easy flat first 50km with a tailwind where there is no point attacking, crash probably happened because half the group was daydreaming. Race only start on Bothmaskloof.

I think it is a sin that we have great mountain passes all around Cape Town that maybe gets used once a year for cycling races.

Was it you who rode with me on the road between Malmesbury and Paarl? I was in BMC kit.

Not sure, I was in a MiWay kit. Rode with some people of G-I bunch but on the way back to Paarl we scattered again.

Maybe the PPA need a rethink on how they pitch these Sportif's. 

There is no racing CSA categories so its not for the uber race snake. 

I must say some of my most fun races this year have been the tight racing at the Sportifs. 

I think the biggest question most ask is, is it more fun than a park run? Can the whole family take part? Its a rather intricate place road cycling finds itself in with so many options being available to those active bodies out there now vs the 90's.

I love the Sportif series and did four of the six this year.  My wife joined for all but one.

I'm a thirtysomething C-D funrider.  The rides are small enough so parking is easy, have excellent organisation and provide decent enough racing for my ability.  The scenery repeats but remains gorgeous.

From my perspective I wouldn't change a thing, but perhaps I'm precisely the demographic this caters for best :P

Is it sustainable at <500 participants per event?  Do we need more racing snakes or broader participation or both?  It's nice to see all the kids racing the medium route - that's a worthwhile little spin-off and something that would be awesome to see grow.

Basically all road races in the north of the southern suburbs are 3 or 4 varieties of the same routes around Paardeberg. That didn't change when the Cyclosportif's were introduced.

That said you are somewhat right, this route is not that great imo. Basically an easy flat first 50km with a tailwind where there is no point attacking, crash probably happened because half the group was daydreaming. Race only start on Bothmaskloof.

I think it is a sin that we have great mountain passes all around Cape Town that maybe gets used once a year for cycling races.

I am not sure I would like to descend many of those passes with the okes I rode with on Sunday, TOGH was sketchy and the guys riding there have a clue on how to handle a bike. If a PPA race included Bainskloof or Franshoek pass, 2 people would die, guaranteed. Even the DC struggles with groups of 12 not going off the road on the one of only 2 descents en route. 

The road works are stopping any decent fun rides in the South as well. 

I am not sure I would like to descend many of those passes with the okes I rode with on Sunday, TOGH was sketchy and the guys riding there have a clue on how to handle a bike. If a PPA race included Bainskloof or Franshoek pass, 2 people would die, guaranteed. Even the DC struggles with groups of 12 not going off the road on the one of only 2 descents en route. 

True, but isn't part of the reason we suck so much at handling our bikes on mountain passes because we never get to do it in race situations.

I have also seen on mtb races (and on road races) the biggest crashes are often on the flat, easy roads not on the dangerous sections (this weekend's crash a good example). When the road is dangerous everyone is paying attention!

Been participating in the fun ride and registered race scene since the 80's

Havent been participating in the fun ride road scene for a decade

Well there are only so many routes to take out this way

Even after the road works are totally done, do you think there will be any races again in the South?

The road works will never be done and there was a road race in the south recently. Was part of the winter league races. Started at perdekraal and raced around Cape Point to SimonsTown over red hill back to perdekraal. 3laps for cat1

So it can be done

Personally I've enjoyed the sportif scenery. The routes include parts of Stellenbosch and Franshoek that are spectacular IMHO, but then again put me on a bike racing down any kind of road and you've made my day. Normally in a 'race' I'm too busy focusing on the group or bleeding my eyes out to pay too much attention to the view. I'm happy to do at least 1 race every weekend (life permitting), the other 26 days I'll appreciate the sea view ;).

I love riding, I love 'racing' - I ride with friends all the time and its awesome, but there is always something special about a race. The sportifs add 6 more OPTIONS to my calendar - thank you very much PPA!

Plus as LeoKnight said - ambulance on standby, point guards at stops/traffic lights(no need to stop), signage for the cars to be aware of cyclists, motorbike/bike marshals, water-points, formalized timing and big enough groups to make it interesting - plus more options for newbies to cycling to learn bunch skills. Considering the safety situation in Cape Town ... these events are a good thing. We have a group of young cyclists from the office that decided to do the CTCT, this weekend's sportif was their first race - they died, but they will be signing up to the next one and be able to enjoy CTCT with some 'bunch skills' :).

i managed to race just 3 (2xWindmeul and Simonsvlei) of the six sportifs this year and every ride was different. 

for the Windmeul venue - yes, there is a lull until you hit Bothmas, but the climb is almost perfectly placed to make the race/funride interesting.  (okay maybe I'd like a hilltop finish or two)

the Simonsvlei route was just as enjoyable with Helshoogte 20 odd km in, at least you have warm legs by then (wasn't the case with the "old" stellies cycle tour)

with 2019 having eight sportifs i am wondering whether we'll get a new venue, it just makes sense.  maybe the new venue can have a hilltop finish?