Bike Hub weight loss challenge 2018

BigDL

It is whey, yes. Do you recommend going to slow release casein protein?

Edit :

...and just yesterday I ordered a massive 3.2kg tub of whey protein on Takealot. Eish.

I must say I'm feeling "strong" though... My immune system is also tip top right now. 

It seems like casein (or a mix of whey and casein) would be better if you want to avoid the spike. What I know about it is from the internet and you know how that goes, one site will tell you it's good, while the other says it's bad, but the consensus seems to be that it does create a spike.

Here is another interesting article: https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/the-muscle-building-messenger-complete-guide-to-insulin.html

Edited by Jacquers

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like casein (or a mix of whey and casein) would be better if you want to avoid the spike. What I know about it is from the internet and you know how that goes, one site will tell you it's good, while the other says it's bad, but the consensus seems to be that it does create a spike.

Here is another interesting article: https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/the-muscle-building-messenger-complete-guide-to-insulin.html

It might seem that plant based proteins have an even smaller insulin response than even Casein...

https://www.takealot.com/muscle-wellness-super-vegan-protein-900g-chocolate/PLID45196382

• For one, they tend to have a far lower impact on your insulin response.
  • As we discussed in the past, whey protein is incredibly insulinogenic which is not so good for diabetics and others with insulin resistance in my opinion.
  • Pea protein has a much lower insulin effect that can leave you feeling satisfied longer.

I think my choice is made.

It might seem that plant based proteins have an even smaller insulin response than even Casein...

https://www.takealot.com/muscle-wellness-super-vegan-protein-900g-chocolate/PLID45196382

• For one, they tend to have a far lower impact on your insulin response.
  • As we discussed in the past, whey protein is incredibly insulinogenic which is not so good for diabetics and others with insulin resistance in my opinion.
  • Pea protein has a much lower insulin effect that can leave you feeling satisfied longer.

I think my choice is made.

I see it doesn't contain soy, but I'll post this anyway:

Soy contains phytoestrogens called isoflavones that may mimic the activity of the hormone estrogen in your body.

WELL!

And I was just looking at this...

https://www.takealot.com/health-connection-wholefoods-just-protein-just-soy-500g/PLID41381770

So in an attempt to not develop b*tch t*ts, I might go ahead and avoid the soy version...

There doesn't seem to be an agreement on this, but personally I'd avoid the soy protein powders / soy milk. Although, I do consume a lot of Futurelife which contains some soy and I don't need a bra :P Guess it depends on how sensitive you are to it and how much of it you consume.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/5-ways-youre-dead-wrong-about-plant-based-proteins.html

Edited by Jacquers

So the reason I mention fasting even when you fasting already is perhaps the slight change in how you doing it will start the weight loss again...

I find I get too used to the way I do things and I guess our bodies do to.

wow :eek:  I have not been on this forum since about March/April this year. 

soooo... update :w00t:

I pulled my hamstring very badly in April this year. It threw my entire workout plan out of the window for 6 weeks, which caused my diet to follow suit. Then we were in Winter, so that wasn't very conducive to getting back into the swing of things.

However, very strangely, when I stopped, I was at 95kg. 4/5 months down line, i have only picked up about 3kg and am currently 98kg. 

The good news is that it is never too late to make corrections, and as my profile says, NEVER GIVE UP! I have been watching what I eat for the last 2 weeks, and been in the gym/running as well. 2 weeks have already shown great results. 

I am glad to be back, and looking forward to some positive changes again!  :clap:  

I'm 1.89m @ 81kg at the moment. I know BMI is frowned upon for various reasons such as body shape, etc, but I am at 23.62 kg/m2. Normal is between 18.5 and 25.

Good grief, that's light. I'm 1.89 and weigh 92, and I don't carry a lot of fat.

Good grief, that's light. I'm 1.89 and weigh 92, and I don't carry a lot of fat.

It seems I have a cyclist body. Above my belt all that my upper body is good for is connecting my legs to the handlebars. Very thin. All legs.

Weight has piled on over the last 18 months of inactivity. 1.92m @ 107kg.

Have attempted many times to slow down and dejunk calorie intake and increase exercise. It has been very erratic and not yielding any results. Being 50 also doesn't make it easy.

Seeing this thread is a good thing. 

I will use all your success stories, and communal challenges to stymie my next tummy attack.

Weight has piled on over the last 18 months of inactivity. 1.92m @ 107kg.

Have attempted many times to slow down and dejunk calorie intake and increase exercise. It has been very erratic and not yielding any results. Being 50 also doesn't make it easy.

Seeing this thread is a good thing. 

I will use all your success stories, and communal challenges to stymie my next tummy attack.

The first step is always the biggest! You can do it! Good luck, remember the small victories, stick to the plan and the results will come.  :thumbup:   

The first step is always the biggest! You can do it! Good luck, remember the small victories, stick to the plan and the results will come.  :thumbup:   

Just need to get through the first 3 days. And not expect to really see anything for at least 2 weeks. Its super hard to not give up, but you have to keep at it.

This thread is good reading as one realises that what you think is good and sugar free is actually counterproductive to weight loss . I love a coffee at about 8 at night and have my own mixture . 2 spoons Nestle coffee , 1/2 spoon cocoa and 2 spoons cremora topped with fat free milk to give it some colour . i did not realise cremora had a sugar content .. Im going to stop with the Cremora and just add some warm milk . Lets see what happens during the next week 

This thread is good reading as one realises that what you think is good and sugar free is actually counterproductive to weight loss . I love a coffee at about 8 at night and have my own mixture . 2 spoons Nestle coffee , 1/2 spoon cocoa and 2 spoons cremora topped with fat free milk to give it some colour . i did not realise cremora had a sugar content .. Im going to stop with the Cremora and just add some warm milk . Lets see what happens during the next week 

and add some fat to the milk..

EVERYTHING has sugar in it these days. Even braai spices.

We are all addicted to it and don't even know it.